VAICOMPRO seems to get my radio calls but does not actvate anything in DCS

hornblower793

Originally posted by TheMOP as post #5522 in the main thread

VAICOMPRO seems to get my radio calls but does not activate anything in DCS.

This does not seem to be the typical "run as admin", "module not detected"/"install path" issue.

I know this is a long post but I wanted to describe the issue as thorough as possible for you to better understand what I'm experiencing.

I really wanted this to work for me to increase immersion in VR specifically (thanks to Hollywood for providing such a tool!) and invested a lot of energy in it (speech recognition training, installing, configuring & troubleshooting the software). I spent so much time with troubleshooting and testing each and every possible hint found in the manuals, FAQ and in various posts on the internet ... time that should have been gone into flying in DCS smile.gif. Meanwhile I'm really about to give up on this ... please help!

Following along a test session, you could see the following happening in my VoiceAttack log in an F/A-18C mission on Kutaisi runway (1st message at the bottom, [black]=VAICOM Debug message):

[black] 4:02:42.795 Captured sentence: kutaisi 411 request takeoff

[green] 4:02:42.791 Recognized : 'Kutaisi 411 request takeoff' (contains 'kutaisi') (Confidence 73)

[green] 4:02:42.791 Recognized : 'Kutaisi 411 request takeoff' (contains 'request takeoff') (Confidence 73)

[blue] 4:02:42.418 Listening suspended

[green] 4:02:42.375 Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 release'

[black] 4:02:38.795 TX1 | COMM1: ARC-210 AM 134.000 MHz tuned for ATC unit Kutaisi [AI]

[blue] 4:02:38.586 Listening resumed

[green] 4:02:38.538 Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 press'

I can see that VAICOMPRO is somehow connected to DCS because it

1. properly identifies the module I'm using (tested with F/A-18 and F-16)

2. I get VAICOMPRO debug messages in the VoiceAttack log that proof I'm communicating on the right frequencies for the intended recipient (see above "TX1 | COMM1: ARC-210 AM 134.000 MHz tuned for ATC unit Kutaisi [AI]")

3. "sees" ATC communication that happens when I use the menus and shows it in VoiceAttack log like

3:19:14.284 ATC (Batumi): 111, taxi to parking area

3:17:34.281 ATC (Batumi): 111, Batumi, check landing gear, runway 13

3:14:47.762 ATC (Batumi): 111, cleared for visual, contact tower

3:14:31.732 ATC (Batumi): 111, Batumi, fly heading 283 for 6, QFE 29.89, runway 13, to pattern altitude

SADLY, it relays none of my requests to DCS (even though VAICOMPRO seemed to understand it according to the debug message "captured sentence:...").

None of my radio transmissions is repeated in DCS (like you see on the Youtube videos) and I never get any reply (text oder audio) on anything (chief, atc/tower, ...).

I can hear the short white noise sounds when pressing and releasing TX trigger buttons, but other than that, I do not hear any "Audio Hints" (this preference is turned on) which would confirm proper handling or point to an error. I also activated AOCS Auto Brief and although the VoiceAttack log shows the message "[purple] 3:59:16.416 AOCS: Starting mission briefing readout." I cannot hear the readout or see according messages.

On the other hand, I'm hearing the VAICOMPRO chatter loud and clear so there should be no problem with the sound going to a wrong device (?).

Running the current versions (as of date May 31st 2020):

standalone DCS stable 2.5.6.49798,

VoiceAttack 1.8.5,

VAICOMPRO 2.5.20.0 with PRO, AIRIO & chatter license

• VoiceAttack is running as Admin (my Windows account has Admin rights so basically everything including DCS is running as Admin)
  • deleted the export.lua (although I'm not using any other mods that could interfere)
  • setting the custom DCS path in Config including registry update. I even checked that the according .lua files have been put in the right places (according to the VAICOMPRO manual) in the DCS install folder and were appended correctly where they should be as far as I can judge that.
  • VoiceAttack.exe opened up in (Norton) firewall
  • VAICOMPRO.exe also running as watchdog and opened up in (Norton) firewall (just in case smile.gif ) I had a DCS repair running (cleaning any user mods)
  • no other mods like Garmin NS430 in use at all

I'm out of ideas here ...

Any hint on what might be going wrong here is really appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

Do you hear the recognition beeps (Audio Hints) if you are running VA / VAICOM on its own without DCS running and try saying the commands?

Do you have Hide On-Screen Text and / or Disable Player Voice checked in the VAICOM Preferences tab?

Windows 11 Home ¦ Z790 AORUS Elite AX motherboard ¦ i7-13700K ¦ 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5 memory @ 5600MHz ¦ Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD for OS, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB SSD for DCS ¦ MSI GeForce RTX 4090 Gaming X Trio 24GB ¦ Virpil WarBRD base with VFX grip, Thrustmaster A10c and F/A-18 grips ¦ VKB Gunfighter Mk4 and MCG Pro ¦ Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle ¦ VKB STECS Throttle ¦ Virpil TCS rotor base with Shark and AH-64D  grips ¦ MFG Crosswinds ¦ Total Controls Multi-Function Button Box ¦ Pimax Crystal

As Greyman said in the main thread, ATC while on the ground can be a bit sulky and only talks to you at certain points. Request Takeoff is only valid when you are at the taxiway holding to go onto the runway and, in my experience, your nose has to be virtually on the runway before ATC will respond.

Try one of the free flight missions, tune the radio and then call Inbound - does this get a response?

Do you hear the recognition beeps (Audio Hints) if you are running VA / VAICOM on its own without DCS running and try saying the commands?

Do you have Hide On-Screen Text and / or Disable Player Voice checked in the VAICOM Preferences tab?

Hello Hornblower, thanks for your support!

I tried that as you suggested without DCS running, but I also do not get any audio hints (although this preference is set in the config) there.

I do not have Hide On-Screen Text and Disable Player Voice checked.

Edited to give more info:

The only things I checked in the PREFS is "Extended Command Set", "Select Tunes Radio", "UI Sounds" & "Use Audio Hints".

Edited by TheMOP

As Greyman said in the main thread, ATC while on the ground can be a bit sulky and only talks to you at certain points. Request Takeoff is only valid when you are at the taxiway holding to go onto the runway and, in my experience, your nose has to be virtually on the runway before ATC will respond.

Try one of the free flight missions, tune the radio and then call Inbound - does this get a response?

I know (see my reply to Greyman in the main thread). I also tried "request startup", "request taxi to runway" as well as different "chief" commandos. Also "ATC, xxx inbound" is not working :(

Are you running with the VAICOM debug option turned on (top option on the Config tab)? If not, enable this and see if it gives any additional messages that will help pinpoint your issue (we will get you up and running:thumbup:).

If I don't reply in a few minutes it will be because I am eating but I will be back after that

The log suggests you release TX too soon.

Confirm your hotkey is configured as press-and-hold (use keyboard keys 1-6 to test) and hold PTT until command is executed (beeps).

Also confirm you have a fresh profile (use Config/export and import .vap in VA) and are not using VSPX.

There is no spoon.

Avatar_old_80x80.gif.0c105925ce4b9f5b87697ea37cbde317.gif

VAICOM PRO plugin for DCS World

www.vaicompro.com

Confirm your hotkey is configured as press-and-hold (use keyboard keys 1-6 to test) and hold PTT until command is executed (beeps).

Also confirm you have a fresh profile (use Config/export and import .vap in VA) and are not using VSPX.

Good spot, but then you are the Guru:smartass:

Are you running with the VAICOM debug option turned on (top option on the Config tab)? If not, enable this and see if it gives any additional messages that will help pinpoint your issue (we will get you up and running:thumbup:).

If I don't reply in a few minutes it will be because I am eating but I will be back after that

Hi Hornblower, thanks :) enjoy your meal :) Yes, I am running in debug mode (compare the [black] log messages that are coming back from VAICOMPRO debug. They make me believe that it understands my request … but nothing else happens, no confirm beep no actions in DCS.

Hi Hollywood,

thanks so much for joining in!

Just imported the vanilla .vap in VA as suggested and pressed the TX keys thru until I got the debug messages from VAICOMPRO back in VA log. Still no confirmation beep.

Also, I'm not in VSPX (although I tried that along my troubleshooting journey but it didn't change things).

Log looks like that (you can see I pressed the TX key/button thru):

7:37:42.815 Listening suspended

7:37:42.755 Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 release'

7:37:39.821 Captured sentence: batumi 111 inbound

7:37:39.817 Recognized : 'batumi 111 inbound' (contains 'batumi') (Confidence 95)

7:37:39.817 Recognized : 'batumi 111 inbound' (contains 'inbound') (Confidence 95)

7:37:35.457 TX1 | COMM1: ARC-210 AM 131.000 MHz tuned for ATC unit Batumi [AI]

7:37:35.323 Listening resumed

7:37:35.274 Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 press'

7:33:26.142 Recognized : 'batumi inbound' (contains 'batumi') (Confidence 90)

Thanks again for your support and the quick replies to everyone!

Could it be that there is an audio issue here as well as or even instead of an apparent disconnect between DCS and VP.

Maybe check that your default windows output device and comms device are set correctly and maybe check the audio tab on your VA/VP settings

Could it be that there is an audio issue here as well as or even instead of an apparent disconnect between DCS and VP.

Maybe check that your default windows output device and comms device are set correctly and maybe check the audio tab on your VA/VP settings

Thanks for the suggestion, Greyman. I already set all my input and output in VoiceAttack to my Headset, overriding any Windows default devices just to be safe. I thought along your lines because besides the audio hints I do not hear the AOCS briefing readout. Chatter on the other hand works fine.

But apart from audio, I also cannot see my request repeated as text and audio in DCS (as happening when you press a key and as they all get in the YouTube videos).

Edited by TheMOP
typo

Without DCS running, what shows in the VA log if you just say Batumi while holding (and keeping held) TX1.

I have attached a shot of my log window for comparison (it is with the debug option on)

1694554102_VABatumilog.png.8e7cbe8acbef735372b5a901ae66373d.png

Without DCS running, what shows in the VA log if you just say Batumi while holding (and keeping held) TX1.

I have attached a shot of my log window for comparison (it is with the debug option on)

Hornblower,

testing this, for me the last debug message is "captured sentence: batumi". Interestingly, I do not get the "identified recipient message" and "awaiting additional input" that you obviously have from VAICOMPRO (black and purple lines):

8:15:01.589 Listening suspended

8:15:01.549 Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 release'

8:15:00.911 Captured sentence: batumi

8:15:00.730 Recognized : 'batumi' (Confidence 95)

8:14:58.716 Listening resumed

8:14:58.536 Joystick : 'Transmit TX1 press'

8:14:56.544 Plugin 'VAICOM PRO 2.5' initialized.

Maybe this is were the key issue is (?)

Edited by TheMOP
added screenshot

Here's another one.

Do you have the 2 sliders at the bottom right of the CONFIG tab set to match your standalone and stable environment?

Yes, they are set to release and standalone correctly. I also only have this one installation of DCS (no additional openbeta install). Also, I checked that the .lua files from VAICOMPRO are present/content appended in the DCS folders like described in the VAICOMPRO manual. To my understanding, that looks good ...

Just to check if this is also my issue, can you see your module name on VAICOMPRO ptt page?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BSpike, yes, I can properly see the module name (tested in F15, F-16, F/A-18 ) in the PTT page of VAICOMPRO …

Edited by TheMOP
typo

Hi all, thanks all for your suggestions ...

Reading on BSpikes case I came up with the idea to remove all VAICOMPRO lua files (Saved games + DCS World install folder), then do a DCS repair and start VA/VAICOMPRO again to make sure everything is up to date.

Did that, but to no avail. Problem still stays the same :(

When troubleshooting the issue, I found a post on reddit a few days ago, that talked about a "config.lua" where the VAICOMPRO sound was set to 0, which was the reason he couldn't hear anything:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/b73n95/vaicom_listening_but_not_talking_any_help_please/

I tried to find that .lua file but couldn't find anything in DCS. Could this be a reason why I don't hear anything? As far as I understand, VAICOMPRO sound are not passed thru DCS but thru VA anyway ?!

Edited by TheMOP
typo

I don't know about this, but the fact that you can hear the white noise when a TX button is pressed seems to say that your volume is OK. You are also saying that the confirmation messages do not appear in DCS - if it was just the sound you could not hear then I could see how this might be a solution.

Having looked at your log listing again, I have noticed that you seem to be missing a key line each time after Captured Sentence. In my log it is followed by a 'black square' line saying Have result, identified as command: <whatever command I have spoken>. I think this is indicative of why DCS neve does anything.

Please could you try again and then attach a screenshot of your VA log screen to a post. To do this press the Go Advanced button under the message box and then click on the paperclip (top row of icons above the message next to the smiley face). You can then browse for and upload your picture

Edited by hornblower793

Since it appears that Batumi is recognized in your test, I'm wondering if the issue is that you have not selected Batumi as the recipient. This is not automatic unless you have "Instant Select" turned on. Also, is your radio powered up?

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

I don't know about this, but the fact that you can hear the white noise when a TX button is pressed seems to say that your volume is OK. You are also saying that the confirmation messages do not appear in DCS - if it was just the sound you could not hear then I could see how this might be a solution.

Having looked at your log listing again, I have noticed that you seem to be missing a key line each time after Captured Sentence. In my log it is followed by a 'black square' line saying Have result, identified as command: <whatever command I have spoken>. I think this is indicative of why DCS neve does anything.

Please could you try again and then attach a screenshot of your VA log screen to a post. To do this press the Go Advanced button under the message box and then click on the paperclip (top row of icons above the message next to the smiley face). You can then browse for and upload your picture

It is exactly how you say, I'm missing the "Have result, identified …" for whatever reason.

Here is the screen shot of my VA log from which I copied and pasted the contents in a previous post:

1089548823_20200601VAICOMproScreenshot2.png.f9d5678f08fb35fafff6e02ced47eafd.png

This example screenshot was taken without DCS started like yours.

Edited by TheMOP
additional info provided