A new tweak for Reverb to keep it smooth

GunSlingerAUS

Don't know version number off the top of my head, but I doa windows 10 update every few days. No problems like you describe.

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the 1909 version the glitches were hard to notice, the FOV seems ok and the rendering quality wasn't altered ( this one can be mitigated anyways upping resolution on steamVR ) but looking at far elements there were subtle glitches which weren't in the 90hz mode.

With the 1909 version the glitches were hard to notice, the FOV seems ok and the rendering quality wasn't altered ( this one can be mitigated anyways upping resolution on steamVR ) but looking at far elements there were subtle glitches which weren't in the 90hz mode.

Hmm, glitches as in incorrect models, polygons, etc? Or blur/fuzz due to resolution? Or perhaps some reprojection artefacts, which can look like shimmering, transparent squares on moving elements!?

Intel 11900K/NVIDIA RTX 3090/32GB DDR4 3666/Z590 Asus Maximus motherboard/2TB Samsung EVO Pro/55" LG C9 120Hz @ 4K/Windows 10/Jotunheim Schiit external headphone amp/Virpil HOTAS + MFG Crosswind pedals

I have given the 60HZ mode a good go. My experiences:

I initially got a fish eye effect and found the lens adjustment tool to be the culprit. Delete this first (bottom entry HP Reverb LUA) from your saved games folder and let it auto run again to fix this.

I found the flickering to be a little distracting but could live with it if I could maintain 60FPS for long enough periods. Unforftunately with the settings I prefer this wasnt possible and 30FPS just didn't cut it for me.

Another problem I found was a weird shimmering/glassy effect as the trees were being drawn at their furthest point.

Maybe if I was running a 2080TI I would have had a better experience but for me it's back to 90HZ.

Worth a try though, cheers.

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

My 2 reverb buddies are very happy with setting the refresh to 60Hz. Another tweak that worked as well is hitting ALT ENTER once in DCS. This tweak was posted on another thread but they report even less frame drops when using it combined with 60Hz. Thumbs Up!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel i9 9900K @ 5.1Ghz HT Disabled, Asus RoG Strix z390E Gaming, 64GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200, Asus RoG Strix RTX2080Ti OC @ 1.9Ghz, 1TB Samsung Evo 970Pro M.2 TM Warthog, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Pro Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49" Curved Gaming Monitor, Samsung 50" 4KUHD TV, Acer 27" Touch Panel, CV1, Pimax 5K+, Valve Index, FSSB3 Lighting, F-16SGRH, 3 TM Cougar's and a Saitek X36 that I can't bring myself to part with.

Here's a brief overview of my results. I have tried both options presented in this thread, and for me, they both get rid of in-cockpit ghosting, which I HATED, however, they both produced different side-effects. By in-cockpit, I mean the instruments, such as the UFC or HUD. I normally get ghosting when moving laterally. First, I've tested using the Viper, Hornet and Tomcat, and my DCS settings are mostly High with:

Windows: 1903

MSAA: 0 or 1

AF: 16x

modified Shadows.lua using a mixture of medium and ultra shadows. Using ultra for in-cockpit shadows

PD: 1.0

SteamVR SS: 180-200%

Now, using Gun's method with the 60Hz as I said does get rid of the in-cockpit ghosting, but it produces a weird effect with the trees, which others have recently mentioned. Also, when looking to the side, initially it's smooth, but after a few seconds it gets choppy. Not ghosting, but I guess it's a stuttering effect. I also noticed the Tomcat's mirrors had a huge effect on the side views. When they're off, the stuttering takes longer to start, but it still happens. The Viper and Hornet had good performance but still had issues with the side views.

When using Toy's suggestion, it also gets rid of the in-cockpit ghosting, and the side views are constantly smooth. However, this suggestion produces a lot of ghosting on other objects. For example, if I roll left to right or vice versa looking at my wings, I can see ghosting on the wings. Also, ghosting in the fly-by cam, on other jets when dogfighting, and ghosting in the Tomcat's mirrors.

So even though I do maintain high frames with both suggestions, there are some draw-backs that I will have to decide which ones I can live with.

Edited by pimp

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I dont now the difference, but I don't have any UFC or ICP Ghosting with my Reverb and I'm flying in a moving Motionsimulator.

Gesendet von meinem SM-G973F mit Tapatalk

Edited by TOYKILLA

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

:joystick: DIY 2DOF Motionsimulator with 4Ch Simshaker :joystick:

SteamVR SS: 180-200%

200% with Reverb? So You have more than 3K ??? Why? Its a FPS killer.

I use 110% and its 2263 pxt vertical.

DAsydcjm.jpg

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

200% with Reverb? So You have more than 3K ??? Why? Its a FPS killer.

I use 110% and its 2263 pxt vertical.

DAsydcjm.jpg

Sometimes the steam supersampling values are messed and don't equal to the resolution of the visor. I have two win 10 installs and while in one the 100 % is the native resolution of the Reverb I need to put on 180 % in the other to get the native res.

Mine is @100% Native and i use 200% for DCS without ingame SS,MS and AF. The PD is also 1.0. Works great with Motionreprojection.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Thrustmaster Warthog SLM - F/A-18 , MFG Crosswind V2 , Cougar MFD`s , HP Reverb , PointCtrl , i9@5,1Ghz/2080Ti,

Sometimes the steam supersampling values are messed and don't equal to the resolution of the visor. I have two win 10 installs and while in one the 100 % is the native resolution of the Reverb I need to put on 180 % in the other to get the native res.

Do You use beta Steam VR WMR? I never had this problem with jumping SS ...

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Any image quality issues.

It's impossible to havent any issue with WMR and Windows 10 1903 or 1909 compilation. Its known bug and it concerns Reverb and Odyssey and Windows Mixed Reality.

In DCS is less visible than in IL-2 but its present also. Left screen is distorted, something like this:

uoukPmml.jpg

In DCS is visible on trees and horizon.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Strange, I cant say I can see this on my side?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

+1

I Run only the Steam VR and WMR for Steam Beta, my i9 9900K is overclocked to Static 5,1Ghz and without HT,I have 32Gb DDR5 and my 2080Ti runs @+200Mhz.

Only those Settings with Motionreprojection @ Motionvector works for me. I flew 5Hours non Stop today Online and had not a single issue

I love it

Edited by TOYKILLA

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YoYo, I had the exact same issue yesterday in IL2 - looked as if I had to focus way too close. Only fix for me was to run it at 90Hz with ASW on.

YoYo, I had the exact same issue yesterday in IL2 - looked as if I had to focus way too close. Only fix for me was to run it at 90Hz with ASW on.

90Hz is ok but this is topic about 60 Hz :).

With 90 Hz no any problem.

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

so I find this discussion fascinating.

At 90Hz native performance is 90 FPS as a maximum, but , most users havent got the hardware to drive DCS in VR at 90 FPS, which means that if you are not very lucky, you are likely running with motionvector switched on set to auto which functionally gives you 45 FPS, with some visual artefacts

At 60Hznative performance is 60FPS as a maximum, and you still can switch on motionvector which would give you 30FPS, but, actually you can drive 60FPS with, high end but still affordable, hardware. I still think you get some visual artefacts in DCSand I think the WMR Cliff House is a horrible shimmering mess, but I dont spend much time in the cliff house... and I get a little bit of tearing in the Steam Home

So why can you drive 60 FPS without motionvector… the answer is in latency, you have at 90FPS something like 11.1ms of latency between frames to stay inside your 90FPS:

y4mSlZd9G-jrjKnPw8odt6CX4NVJarXUTXARDVKQdF16MWhWKPy1w2sQ2rQJwZwkRGA0pyWU3KAX6ZyepyrbIR-FGKKDbAYn9tbZot5qmzQAazhh-xT0YXql7rk2gL9yOaZg42N47f4_qb7Yb5FJiowve0KikdiMMxtV3Fl1fBAsbwgT56dCgnXrYR3wu8op1V0?width=267&height=255&cropmode=none

and at 60 FPS you get 16.7ms:

y4mqR9MBAihPuHEYDQcE8AsmWpwCLydxQLFvEb7eR2WTVLMl9tZSUSv8D97sLFzq7dchze8-BMndLDr9bUwxcUnAk4Pw8uq4oSYYMMq6AuRwoQs7p8ybkoQB1QKd9DtItnbXvVssUBkDRcWNdYqk49QWODh2w753gLgfarxHojgn7snHdFIg_CyUXp_3zNAJJcl

This doesnt seem like a big difference but in terms of performance you would have to increase your graphics and CPU performance by something 50% to see the same performance a 90hz... thats like me clocking my current CPU at 6.9Ghz... or spending a large wedge of cash on a water cooled bemouth , with attendant GPU, MB and RAM upgrades.

Now, I'm not saying that 60Hz is a magic bullet, it still does have issues, but you do get more FPS and smoother FPS than you do at 90hz with motionvector (e.g. 45FPS), and I personally am on the fence about which is the better... but you should give it a play and see which ones you like better :)

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

@45FPS Motionvector, your Display got still 90Hz and DCS is Smooth as Butter. I only see a lot Artifacts and Ghosting without Motionreprojection enabled in DCS.

With 60FPS and 60Hz, i can't fly. The 80Hz of my old Rift S was already terrible compare to my CV1 with 90Hz, but 60Hz is definitely nothing for a Gaming HMD.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

@45FPS Motionvector, your Display got still 90Hz and DCS is Smooth as Butter. I only see a lot Artifacts and Ghosting without Motionreprojection enabled in DCS.

With 60FPS and 60Hz, i can't fly. The 80Hz of my old Rift S was already terrible compare to my CV1 with 90Hz, but 60Hz is definitely nothing for a Gaming HMD.

Yep, look at your hardware, compare it to mine, you have about 15% cpu and gpu perf advantage... So your comments are valid for you... As are mine for my spec...

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Yep, look at your hardware, compare it to mine, you have about 15% cpu and gpu perf advantage... So your comments are valid for you... As are mine for my spec...

Hey mate, Toykilla is lucky enough to not perceive the ghosting or stutters that many, including you and I, see with reprojection turned on. But to drive 90fps in VR, even with all settings at low, you need an even better machine than mine. And that's even if you're flying a very basic machine over terrain with no buildings or trees. We can only hope ED works on VR performance.