Guitarist Thread!

Pougatchev

My version of Technical Difficulties by Racer X, after a "too much drunking night in a nightclub", sorry for the fails :D

The solo was totally improvised so I think my brain was a little overloaded at the end :music_whistling:

Wow!Nice playing man ,good to see some shredding pilots here.Gilbert stuff is always hard. I used to listen to PG alot even got one of my guitars signed by PG . Marty freidman, jason becker and cacophony is my fav band for shred.If you have not heard them check them out.

Keep up the good work .http://forums.eagle.ru/images/icons/icon14.gif

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For those of you able to understand german, there's a Professor of electrical engineering in Regensburg who has written a very comprehensive study on what does and does not influence the sound of an electrical guitar. It is, i believe, at times a bit too technical for a layman but the conclusions are nontheless very interesting even for non-engineering folk.

The pdf can be found here.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

Well he did things that he could scientifically quantify, like strap a strat to a resonance corpus and measure the change of the output impedance. The outcome was that he had to use some really expensive gear to be able to measure the change at all, so he concluded that the body impedance (weight of the wood, etc.) has next to no influence on the sound of the guitar. The position of where the fretting hand touches the neck has a huge influence on impedance though. It's way too comprehensive for me to translate, unfortunately.

Come let's eat grandpa!

wonder if he ran tests on cheap guitars? bet its the same results not much off a difference over 10 grand gibsons.

Regarding Gibson, he measured intonation and it seems that they use an outdated formula to calculate the fret positions. It's basically impossible to tune them well tempered.

Apart from that it would be hard to measure the "quality of sound" except in a double blind listener study. You can't quantify "good sound".

Personally i tend to go for guitars around 1k€. Price is mainly a question of craftsmanship, playability and quality of the hardware than a question of sound for me. Of course there is some merit to more expensive guitars, like generally better shielding, etc.. Visuals are another thing. You have to consider for yourself what that is worth.

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

yes i do enjoy the fast stuff as i said before only in short bursts though, i play a few tracks myself with it but i

always jam out and create nice blues and melodic soloing.

yes that roland system was big back in the day.

most of these sounds are done through virtual software which i adore now, i now play create all my music through guitar rig 5,

brilliant sounds u can get out all this software, does take some getting use to and setting up but its worth it.

my last 2 tracks i wrote are with GR5

you cant take my blues =

and

snowed in =

both tracks played on gibson sg special limited edition 2002 model right into pc and GR5 via external m audio interface. hows its done these days.

my gnx4 is now thrown to the history books..

Nice One:thumbup:

thx for the inspiration when you brung up the roland system, i decided to put together a track showing of the GR5 sound effects.

enjoy the track

called heart of the mothership

Nice, Nice indeed.

Check this out very useful for engine sounds and music:

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Time for a revival:

In August i spent three weeks on the island of Formentera where i built an electric guitar. Mine is the one in the middle with the maple top, along with the guitars of the other attendants of the course.

IMG_6966.thumb.jpg.09182f4d1a4cc1362dc1ece75640b751.jpg

Edited by sobek

Come let's eat grandpa!

Needs more cowbell......

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]WIN 10, i7 10700, 32GB DDR4, RTX 2080 Super, Crucial 1TB SSD, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD, TM Warthog with 10cm extension, TIR5, MFG Crosswind Pedals, Wheelstand Pro, LG 40" 4K TV, Razer Black Widow Ultimate KB[/size]

• 4 years later...

I didn't notice this thread before I started mine ;-)

Like I said in different thread I bought myself Ibanez RG350 DXZ. Lovely guitar so far.

My favourite guitarists:

KK Downing

Glenn Tipton

Ritchie Blackmore

Wolf Hoffmann

Yngwie Malmsteen

Jeff Waters

Dave Meniketti

and many others

I played many years before, but my problem is that I don't have a clue about music theory, scales etc. This time I would like to learn properly… but how?

Steve Morse talks about his bread and butter:

That thing looks and sounds* pretty familiar...

attachment.php?attachmentid=237610&stc=1&d=1590715704

It's literally the pilot's guitar, kinda like a DCS module dealwithit.png

Had some luck being able to get it off of the bay for 1200€ from a guitar collector who needed some cash to buff his house when I actually had the money as well. With that extra coloured headplate and the case it would have been somewhere around 2700-2800 new. And it was in mint condition which it still is...

But well. I'm not anywhere near as good as Steve playing it rdlaugh.png

(*) Well, kinda, not having such a good amp, used a Peavey Bandit 112 for a long time until I got me a Vox VT100X last year - what a bang for the buck thing this is though! Good about it is that it still sounds good at lower volumes which won't blast your ears off. The Bandit sucks balls at that, but begins to sound awesome if you turn it up lots. The modeling amp actually does a rather decent job at "emulating" some well-known amps, especially in the AC30 mode (well, same brand, go figure).

20percentcoolerguitars.jpg.0f6cf07a6533c7b643a68480579808a0.jpg

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I played many years before, but my problem is that I don't have a clue about music theory, scales etc. This time I would like to learn properly… but how?

There's so many videos and books out there, just start somewhere. Learn about the major scale. Learn about its chords. Learn about inversions of chords. Learn about the minor scale and its chords (harmonic and melodic minor if you feel fancy). Learn the pentatonic scale and its 5 positions (both major and minor). Learn the 7 modes. Once you have a good understanding of that you can go into more advanced chords (seventh, sixth, ninth, thirteenth and all that jazz).

Also get a formal understanding of music, like typical song forms (e.g. 12 bar blues, bridge form, etc.). It's worthwhile learning about voice leading rules as well if you ever want to arrange a song yourself on the guitar.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Thank you very much!

That's the problem, that there are too many books and videos, it's hard to choose. I found some tho and I learnt about music theory more in 2 hours yesterday than in 20 years :book:

I will check what you told me then

Major scale

Chords

inversions of chords, whatever it is

minor scale

pentatonic scale

that's for today plus practice practice practice and getting rid of bad habits ;-)