red sensor on left side?

D4n

Who knows what this is? Couldn't find it in the manual.

attachment.php?attachmentid=201800&stc=1&d=1547125624

needle.thumb.jpg.fda46a9315b3112e8fa7f27053aef5f7.jpg

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

ah interesting. Thanks.

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

No, as there is no opening in the front visible is why I already doubted that that would be pitot :P

yes my mistake its the RIO-3

And "RIO-3" is this visual ice probe?

W T F, 51 pages for ONE system only, OMG!!! :D

Who created it?

vibrating where, near the pilots body so he senses vibration? Vibrating collective or stick?

Where is SO-121VM located in the Mi-8?

But it vibrates that strong that pilot feels it? huh

the unit itself, the pilot gets enough vibration smile.gif

The item pictured is a visual ice detector. It's nothing more than a probe marked with 5mm paint stripes so the pilot can visually identify ice buildup if the automatic system isn't working.

As far as the automatic detectors go, which are installed in the oil cooler fan inlet...

The RIO-3 is older and uses a radioactive isotope in the detector. As ice builds up on it, a sensor receives fewer and fewer radioactive particles and once it gets below a certain threshold it trips the ice warning. On the newer SO-121 detector, the detector just vibrates at a high frequency. Ice buildup causes the vibrations to slow, and once the vibration frequency gets below a certain threshold, it trips the ice warning.

W T F, 51 pages for ONE system only, OMG!!! :D

Who created it?

I did. I suppose I could have made it shorter but that's just how it came out. Making training presentations isn't my primary job, after all. ;)

As ice builds up on it, a sensor receives fewer and fewer radioactive particles and once it gets below a certain threshold it trips the ice warning

Sooo... that one had a Geigercounter on board? xD I guess I understand why the next model had a different system, as with the old model when they'd fly through a radioactive freezing area, the ice warning wouldn't appear? (dangerous)

I did.

Damn! how many hours did it take you? :huh:

AlphaOneSix has put many hours into describing various systems of the Mi8 at length. His docs are invaluable, I suggest you look them up, I couldn't find a central repository for them, search for threads with title "How it works" in the Mi8 section , like this one : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=151326

Thanks again AlphaOneSix!

Whisper of old OFP & C6 forums, now Kalbuth.

Specs : i7 6700K / MSI 1070 / 32G RAM / SSD / Rift S / Virpil MongooseT50 / Virpil T50 CM2 Throttle / MFG Crosswind.

All but Viggen, Yak52 & F16

Thanks! Somehow this gives me the impression that he himself isn't american, but more likely former soviet? (As Mi-8 originates from UDSSR times) That'd be awesome

Sooo... that one had a Geigercounter on board? xD I guess I understand why the next model had a different system, as with the old model when they'd fly through a radioactive freezing area, the ice warning wouldn't appear? (dangerous)

If the ice itself was radioactive then I suppose they wouldn't get a warning, other than the visual one, along with other evidence that ice buildup could be occurring. But that scenario takes an awful lot of "what ifs" to get to.

That particular system probably took me 5 days, roughly. Maybe 20-30 hours of actual work.

Thanks! Somehow this gives me the impression that he himself isn't american, but more likely former soviet? (As Mi-8 originates from UDSSR times) That'd be awesome

I'm very American. :D The Mi-8/17 is everywhere. ;)

AlphaOneSix has put many hours into describing various systems of the Mi8 at length. His docs are invaluable, I suggest you look them up, I couldn't find a central repository for them, search for threads with title "How it works" in the Mi8 section , like this one : https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=151326

Thanks again AlphaOneSix!

I made a repository a while back, it is here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=193976

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo