HOTAS Cougar upgrade HALL sensor kit

Sokol1_br

Thanks for the heads-up, I've just purchased a spare throttle Pot at Guillemot, but the Stick Hall Pots look really interesting ... will try Google translate on that Forum to see what is the issue with calibartion.

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

Specifically, What will this upgrade do for my stick and throttle?

Basically, the conventional potentiometers are prone to have defects over time, as its electrical contacts wear and get dirty ... the Hall sensors are magnetic and dont rely on electrical contacts, and thus should be more precise and not deteriorate over time.

You can check visually how is the quality of the values that your current potentiometers have, by running the Foxy software, and from its Apps menu select the "Joystick Analyzer" .. now move the joystick slowly and check if the values are smoothly increasing or not ..

on my case I've what is know as "spiking", when values are increasing and suddenly they decrease in value and then back to increase .. its hard for me to explain it with words, just try it ... it looks like this:

lT9vonu.jpg

Cheers!

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

CTS discontinued the potentiometer 251B15F104B2NB used in Cougar, Tm stock eventually will run out

Yes, Guillemot currently only has stock of throttle Pots, but those for the Stick are out of stock.

... so an available HALL sensor mod is a option for keep Cougar "alive".

But if your actual pot's are woking flawless, no advantage in upgrade.

I'm interested on replacing the pots of the Stick, but the user's experience on the checksix Forum dont seem good .. the final post says something like this:

"Well, I give up, impossible to have good beaches. I tried everything, even reversing the order, nothing helps. It's a failure for me."

So, I will wait until some more users post their experience ... from what I read so far it seems that these Hall sensors have too little resolution, even if they are precise.

Thanks anyway for the report, I will follow up these parts, hopefully they are better than they seem at this moment.

Best regards.

• 3 weeks later...

Yes both my Cougars have died this way, I just cant get them to calibrate, even tho one day they will, perfectly, then never again...

One is with stock pots and one is with Hall sensors, anyone wants to buy them... I just opted for a Warthog in the end, maybe that was the point... Damn corporates!

The Flying Kiwis - Since ages ago...

Find us at https://www.simcentral.co.nz

Thanks for the heads-up, I've just purchased a spare throttle Pot at Guillemot, but the Stick Hall Pots look really interesting ... will try Google translate on that Forum to see what is the issue with calibartion.

Best regards

Hello

May I ask the going price? of the replacement pot?

Thankyou

~

May I ask the going price? of the replacement pot?

Sure, they asked 10€ for the throttle Pot and 10€ for the microstick replacement; the shipping to my country by air mail was 12.5€ and the VAT tax was 6.5€, for a grand total of 39€

Its a pity that they dont have more stock of the joystick’s pots.

Here you can see some photos of my install of the microstick ... didnt replace the throttle pot yet as it still works fine, stored the part as future spare :)

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3613543&postcount=71

Best regards

• 4 months later...
Just FIY, prices in Webshop: https://vipergear.eu/c-muk-full-kit/

Installation guide: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8pla9yl786gv19r/C-MUK%20Guide.pdf?dl=0

BTW - In this topic some people have problems with calibration: http://www.checksix-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=283&t=201842

Sokol is this your work or someone else's? If someone else's has anyone got one and tried it?

I am REALLy interested in the throttle mod. This and a TUSBA and I'm ready for the F-16CJ!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I’ve got one, works great! TUSBA is a must have as well.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Which hall sensor setup for the throttle works with TUSBA(from realsimulator) ?

My pot is still working but I'd rather be prepared!

Any should. But I have the Vipergear one mentioned here and it works great with the TUSBA.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Any should. But I have the Vipergear one mentioned here and it works great with the TUSBA.

Are you using the hall effect sensor from vipergear and the TUSBA from realsimulator.com? or is TUSBA a generic name for any adapter that converts the throttle to USB standalone? Sorry, I've been away from this stuff for a while, I'm not up on the names!

Just wanted to chime in (for some shameless self promotion :music_whistling:).

I am also offering a "TUSBA", at half the price with an extension bay that can add shift registers or/and hall sensors / digital SPI 14 Bit GMR sensors. And chance has it, that I am also offering these sensors for very reasonable prices. The digital 14Bit GMR sensor is 20€ extra to the USB standalone adapter (TUSBA), the hall sensor is 22€. Feel free to check my thread in the signature.

Btw these vipergear guys miraculously came up with a similiar design after I posted mine on simHQ.. but I use magnetoresistive technology. :D

Edited by rel4y

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

rel4y,

Thanks for the info. I was going to get the TUSBA from realsimulator since I'm already buying the FSSB, however, I'm not sure their adapter has the tricks needed to use a hall sensor for when the pot in mine dies. However, on the realsimulator adapter they show a lot of options available for controls: clip_image002.jpg

Can you send a graphic over of what yours looks like in this same screen?

Well, pretty much the same except for the mil afterburner stuff and I have only added the 10 buttons the Throttle actually uses. You can easily set anything you like however in MMJoy and add another 118 buttons if you feel like it. The Windows controller view doesnt really tell you anthing about the capability however. Just have a look at MMjoy and what it can do if you like, it is pretty much the favorite software of the flight simming/ racing DIY community. If you dont want to dive into that software then you can just leave as is and it is already plug and play.

PS: I am not saying mine is better than the other, I am just saying it can do the same and is also very customizable. You can obviously spend your money wherever you feel it is best invested and I didnt want to push for anything here. Just wanted to get the alternative out there! :)

Edited by rel4y

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

Are you using the hall effect sensor from vipergear and the TUSBA from realsimulator.com? or is TUSBA a generic name for any adapter that converts the throttle to USB standalone? Sorry, I've been away from this stuff for a while, I'm not up on the names!

Yes I'm using both the Realsim TUSBA R2 and the Vipergear hall effect sensor together. They work great. TUSBA is not a generic term, it references with realsimulator device, which I highly recommend.

Proud owner of: