Problem while Practicing Instrument Approach

miaig

Hi,

I am going though the A10 Basic Training Qualification campaign and I am currently at the BFT09 Practice Instrument Approach and Landing mission. I am given instruction to go to Batumi and enter pattern altitude. If afterwards I am trying to follow the ILS indications I am told to abort the mission because I am too low. I have tried to stay at pattern altitude but if I do I am yelled at because I am above the glide scope. If I try to descend immediately after this, I am told again to abort because I am too low. The way to go past this problem is to wait a bit more after I am being told I am above the glide scope and then try to drop as fast as possible in order to land, which is pretty difficult given the fact that it's night, there is a strong crosswind and not much visibility. It seems to me that the condition that checks if I am at pattern altitude should be terminated much earlier than it is.

Another problem that I have seen during the last missions is that my wing man is trying to land in the same time as I am so he crashes into me unless I am constantly watching for him and try to avoid him.

Thanks.

You should stay in the pattern until cleared by ATC (there could be aircraft on the runway).

At the FAF (about 7nm out) you can start your decent (we have a flag that disables the pattern altitude check at that point).

That should still be sufficient distance to get the needles aligned and land.

The triggers haven't changed much since Recon Stewart's video but a recent game engine update might have changed something so we will retest it. Post a trk file if you continue to have issues and we can investigate further.

Here is Recon's video so you can compare with your flight:

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sabre,

Just to let you know I managed to go past the mission. I didn't try to see if getting lower below 7 nm works or not (I started descending much closer to the runway than that) because I really wanted to finish the mission. I will try to play again the training mission however and let you know what I find, but it might take a while since I don't have much time lately :(

Thanks!

Ok, so I did a few more tests and I am at 2290 feet at around 5.5 NM from waypoint 4 (located on the airport) when I am given the "terminate terminate terminate" message. I am way above the glidescope at this point. Even the instructor tells me I am above the glidescope. So it seems that the flag that disables the altitude check does not get triggered for some reason.

Another thing is that I am never cleared by ATC to land. I am asking ATC for "Inbound", given a vector, and then I never hear from them again. The only options in the ATC menu are "Abort Inbound" and "Request Azimuth". These options only change the moment I touch down on the runway when I get a "Request takeoff" option.

All these are from the practice mission rather than from the mission itself. It is much quicker to just do the practice because of the airstart.

Thanks.

Another thing is that I am never cleared by ATC to land. I am asking ATC for "Inbound", given a vector, and then I never hear from them again. The only options in the ATC menu are "Abort Inbound" and "Request Azimuth".

Are you @2.5.4.OB? ATC doesn't get to visuals so you're not contacted and don't have "request landing" option anymore in this version (bug).

As for the wingman either order him RTB or put him on hold until you land, then RTB. You should take care of your men - they put trust in you :)

Edit: This wingman/instructor apparently don't take orders from me.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Are you @2.5.4.OB? ATC doesn't get to visuals so you're not contacted and don't have "request langing" option anymore in this version (bug).

As for the wingman either order him RTB or put him on hold until you land, then RTB. You should take care of your men - they put trust in you :)

Yes, I am on 2.5.4 OB so that explains the ATC problem.

Regarding the wingman, I'll try next mission to do that although I think he is supposed to be the instructor :)

Regarding the wingman, I'll try next mission to do that although I think he is supposed to be the instructor :)

Yeah but technically you take the lead so he follows. It can take the AI some time to land so maybe you do it first.

Edit: This wingman/instructor apparently don't take orders from me.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

• 2 weeks later...

Since the 16.01.2019 OB update ATC is working fine. It doesn't resolve the crashing wingman during landing issue, though, at least as it is in F-15C Aggressors BFM campaign. He does not take orders from me too so he's doomed.

Edited by draconus

We figured out a workaround to stop the AI wingmen from killing themselves on landing.

We will be putting this into all the missions we have with AI wingmen flying formation.

Hopefully as ED continues to update the AI performance they can correct this so a workaround won't be needed.

F-15C-User-Bar-ACM.v2.jpg

MapleFlagMissions - Read Our Blog for Updates