Summer sale tips for a beginner?

laban

I have been playing DCS 2.5 in VR for a little while now, and I really enjoy free flight, just taking off, flying, landing. Missions etc will come later.

As a beginner I can't miss the fact that modules are expensive. Don't get me wrong. I understand why they are. Now that the summer sale makes things affordable I thought I should grab a new map and a new plane before they are back at full price again. So, with free flight as my highest priority, what should I get?

Map: Persian Gulf or Nevada?

Persian Gulf is newer and has more features such as sea and islands. On the other hand Nevada is more familiar. I'm Swedish, but still Nevada is more well-known in the western hemisphere. What are your personal preferences?

Plane: JA37 Viggen or Flaming Cliffs 3?

As a Swede I grew up watching JA37 in various air shows, and I'm very tempted to buy it. On the other hand I do get more planes with FC3. Since I don't have the time to fully learn a high-end module like JA37, maybe I'm better off with FC3? Can I even take off and fly the JA37 easily, just like the SU-25, or does it require in-depth knowledge just to get off the ground?

Any other highly summer sale recommendations for a free-flight beginner?

Thanks in advance!

If you don't have the time to learn the Viggen, get FC3 instead. There's a red flag payware campaign for the F-15 in Nevada, so maybe NTTR and this campaign would make for a nice complement for FC3.

Edited by tintifaxl

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.

Map = Persian Gulf sooooooooooooooo much this

Plane = FC3 , you get a lot of fun planes with a low cost (and you get to use the J-11A free mod), they are not clicky cockpits tho, but still worth it

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Persian Gulf is a much nicer, more varied environment than Nevada.

I wouldn't bother with FC3 for free-flights, it takes about 5 minutes to learn how to start up the Viggen and if all you're doing is free-flights, that's all you need. The complicated bit with the Viggen is employing weapons, and if you don't care about that then it doesn't matter.

Persian Gulf and FC3.

PG because, unlike Nevada, it's a map that can actually be used for interesting missions if/when you get to doing that. Nevada is… neat, I guess, if you want to buy and run the various training campaigns, but it's a very one-note map with limited flexibility in what you can do with it.

FC3 is the better first option almost regardless simply because of value for money — sure, you do not get clicky cockpits, but you get a ton of planes that do different things in different ways. Again, once you go beyond just flying around, it simply gives you far more options as to what you can do and how. Don't get me wrong, the Viggen is an excellent module, and it's really fun to fly, but it requires a bit more focus (both in player attention and in mission creation) to get anything out of. I'd highly recommend it as a second buy after FC3.

In particular, you should not under any circumstances combine Nevada and the Viggen. The latter thrives in varied terrain and over sea — Nevada has neither.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

Since you are able to put each plane with running engines and systems at the ramp or even runway you will sure get them all airborne with only little to none learning efforts.

If you have an emotional connection to the Viggen you will sure get a lot of value for your money with summer sale. I prefer clickable cockpits anyway. FC3's do not provide those.

Nevada or Gulf.... that's too hard for me to judge. Caus I like both. Gulf has sea to put ships and carriers in. So maybe start with this one?

Edited by Tom Kazansky

First up, I'll confess - I'm a bit reluctant to post a reply, but that never stopped me before. :megalol:

So - here we go...

First, I agree with your assessment - these maps and modules *are* expensive (arguably, even during sales, though taking advantage of those are definitely your best bet).

That said, ED (& partners) do seem to be making these simulations the best they can be -- for the PC $$), all bugs, and forum bickering aside. I have several modules -- a bunch of which, I haven't event begun to devote learning time to (including the Viggen).

For me, the F18C Hornet is a great buy.. It's modern, it's very much in the forefront of their Dev efforts, it's a jet, it's A-A capable (and quite good at it), it's A-G capable, (and extremely good at that), it's a land based platform, and it's also a Carrier based platform. In short, it does *everything* you would expect to do with an airplane. Especially, once they add the anti-ship missiles. In ONE package, you can fly & learn all (or most of) the skills for the other aircraft in the sim.

It pretty much does it all (if you exclude helos -- but's *that* is a different thread :lol:) and it's being actively worked on....

I do NOT mean for that to exclude other modules like the Viggen, Harrier, or even the Sabre, which all have different things to bring to the table, but if you want an aircraft that can do it all, grab the Hornet and every map you can fly it on...

Everything else, is just icing (and, tasty icing) on the cake, but the F18 is a great place to start (in addition to anything else that interests you).

Just one guy's opinion.

Best Regards,

4 ~S!~

PS> Have the Sabre, Mig-15, A-10C, Viggen, Harrier, and F-15, which, with apologies, languish, because the F-18 has *it* covered. Rest assured, I *will* take advantage of those purchases down the road, but right now, they're on the back shelf *because* the Hornet can cover the basics of all of them.... Of course, I still fly the Huey, because nothing the Bug does can offset that bird's strengths... :smilewink:

As you are specifically thinking of VR I would say that flaming cliffs is good because it let's you access multiple aircraft and their cockpits and at a VR level you might not be bothered that they don't have clickable cockpits. Also in terms of optimisation FC3 may not be as demanding.

Personally for VR the best experiences I have had are the Mustang and the UH-1 if I was purely flying VR I would consider adding the c101. For VR low and slow is the way to go. I have all the maps but couldn't really say which is better of Persian Gulf or Nevada.

Edited by Finnbar

Once you like it, you'll buy other modules anyway ;)

I startet with FC 8Month ago and have 3 Helis, 10planes and all Maps or something like that now :D

• AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64GB DDR4-3600 MHz, Gigabyte Aorus Pro-P B550M, Zotac RTX 3090, Varjo Aero

Once you like it, you'll buy other modules anyway ;)

I startet with FC 8Month ago and have 3 Helis, 10planes and all Maps or something like that now :D

Yeah but what's the point of having them all if you can't fly them properly? Not wanting to criticize you by the way, I kinda did the same lol :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Yeah but what's the point of having them all if you can't fly them properly? Not wanting to criticize you by the way, I kinda did the same lol :D

kinda like pokemon .. catch them all syndrome ?

No more pre-orders

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Aircraft like the Viggen, MiG-21, MiG-15, F-14, etc. are very interesting and worth their money, but they are not suitable for beginners. So getting something like the Hornet or FC3 is probably one of the best choices for beginners.

I would actually recommend the Hornet, because you do not have to keybind every functionality due to the clickable cockpit and once you are done learning the basics, there will be still plenty of room for learning other features.

Everything else, is just icing (and, tasty icing) on the cake, but the F18 is a great place to start (in addition to anything else that interests you).

I agreed with everything you said about the F/A-18 except this, I think it's a great place to end.

I have started with FC3 & F-5E, now I'm gonna go with trainers (L39 & C101), later I don't know, and then I'll Learn & Master the F18

I have it already, because I bought it in a Bundle with the Gulf map ... but no rush

Im not in a Rush, but on Winter/ Easter Sale i thought buy them all and test whenever you want to test a Plane/Heli. To have what u like already makes it easier. No rule to master one plane 1st.

My fav. Bird is the buggy AV-8b ;) I married Betty last November. She is so in love with me, whenever she looks at me, she starts to stutter :D But nice to have some knobs to shut her up :P

Edited by Mikey74
  • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 64GB DDR4-3600 MHz, Gigabyte Aorus Pro-P B550M, Zotac RTX 3090, Varjo Aero

Aircraft like the Viggen, MiG-21, MiG-15, F-14, etc. are very interesting and worth their money, but they are not suitable for beginners. So getting something like the Hornet or FC3 is probably one of the best choices for beginners.

I would actually recommend the Hornet, because you do not have to keybind every functionality due to the clickable cockpit and once you are done learning the basics, there will be still plenty of room for learning other features.

Mig-15 is pretty easy to learn.

I'm Softball on Multiplayer. NZXT Player Three Prime, i9-13900K@3.00GHz, 64GB DDR5, Win 11 Home, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4090 24GB, TrackIR 5, VKB Gunfighter III with MCG Ultimate grip, VKB STECS Standard Throttle, CH Pro pedals

I am certainly a beginner but I don't agree that those modules are unsuitable for beginners.

Having grown up with rattling windows, because Viggens came screaming over our house at low altitude, it was the natural first purchase for me.

So now I've owned the Viggen for a couple of months and I've had lots of fun.

But recently I felt an urge to try some a2a, so I just bought the Tomcat. I got the Tomcat instead of the Hornet so I wouldn't feel tempted to use the Hornet for everything, and forget my Viggen completely. I still mean to use that for strikes.

Now, I haven't done much a2a combat yet, I've been practicing things like carrier landings and refueling. But I'm learning and I'm having fun, and in the end that's the point.

On topic will probably pick up the Persian gulf map during the sale. I feel like there is Tomcat content coming there, and also fodder for the Viggen.

I have been playing DCS 2.5 in VR ... I can't miss the fact that modules are expensive.

That joke never gets old:megalol:

Whoever gave you the PC and VR just ask him for a module. Good choice btw - now you have plenty of options.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

A lot of people find it easier to start with FC3, but it wasn't for me. I prefer a clicky cockpit. I find it easier to click a specific switch (that I can see) on a console, rather than remembering a keyboard combo or shifted HOTAS combo.

As a beginner, I found the F5 great. It was quick to start and get into the air, simple to operate (not too many switches or modes), but had radar-controlled gunsights. And sidewinders.

I find the Mig-19 to be a similar piloting experience for the red side. It's new to DCS, so not much extra content for it yet, but it also has IR missiles and a radar-guided gunsight. Not to mention an afterburner :D

Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K, Kempston joystick Interface, Alba Cassette Recorder, Quickshot II Turbo Joystick

Ok, now I need some advice for myself. I want to buy the A10C even though I usually fly air combat missions. So which campaign would you guys recommend for the A10C to get me going? Is there a fun way to learn this thing?

To become really good at it?

The “qualification” series (Basic Flight Training, Advanced Aircraft Training, Tactical Training). The campaigns are exactly what it says on the tin: three different series of qualification flights, so they don't really teach you anything, as such — you're expected to read up on systems and procedures and teach yourself enough to pass each test. Whether this qualifies as “fun” is entirely up to you and your learning style.

An actual fun way of employing the aircraft?

The Enemy Within campaign. Again, it's not really about learning as much as just employing the aircraft, but at least there's a storyline and it's less about doing the specific checklist procedure in the exact right order or be failed by a very surly instructor.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

I see. So which of the campaigns should I try first? The Basic Flight Training seems a little bit too basic, so maybe I should take the Advanced Aircraft Training Qualification campaign.

Don't let the word "basic" confuse you: this campaign is really demanding, but you will also learn a lot. If you are really determined to study this module, then manual + youtube + BFT campaign is a good way to start. Then you can decide if you want to continue tormenting yourself with the Advanced and Tactical campaigns.

As for the story campaigns, Operation Piercing Fury is particularly great, followed closely by The Enemy Within. Avoid Stone Shield, it's quite boring. Haven't tried the others.

TL;DR

The proper way: manual > BFT > AAT/TTQ > story

The fun way: youtube > Piercing Fury

Dima | My DCS uploads