42GB Update

51GRIZZLY

Running DCS updater to install 2.5.5.31917 today, being quite sure to have enough room on my dedicated DCS 240GB SSD with 39GB to spare.

Suddenly i get informed that there is not enough room on my disk because the update needs 42GB of disk space!!!?…..

Does that mean that DCS discreetly informs me that 240GB no longer is enough and that i now have to either remove installed modules or get myself a 500GB SSD just to get enough space for coming updates?

Could there be something wrong with my installation or is it totally normal to be prepared for 500GB of content ?

Thanks in advance

GRIZZ

DCS will continue to grow.

Maybe time for an upgrade!

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO , ASUS P8Z77-V, i7-3770K @ 4.6GHz, Noctua AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, EVGA 1080TI 11GB, 2 Samsung 840 Pro 540GB SSDs Raid 0, 1TB HDD, EVGA SuperNOVA 1300W PS, G930 Wireless SS Headset, TrackIR5/Wireless Proclip, TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Combat Pedals, 75" Samsung 4K QLED, HP Reverb G2, Win 10

Dedicated 64 or 128 GB SSD is enough for DCS for most cases, but you might need then a secondary download drive for the updater. As you can set the updater to download the DCS on other disk and then update DCS installed on the SSD.

This way you can save money or run DCS in older setups.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Yes, you should get a bigger ssd. My current install is 160gb. I put it on a 500gb NVME drive. With several new maps and aircraft inbound in the near future, no, 250gb is not going to be enough.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

If you just move it over and set it to the same drive name, nothing will ever notice anything. Hell, for the most part, you can just move it over and maybe a couple of mods will be confused and ask you to confirm the install location when you update, but that's about it.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

OK … So it looks like i will have to get myself a bigger HD, i hope 500GB will be enough fore a while, it looks like my local hardware store is running a sale on 500GB Kingston and Gigabyte SSD's i think i will get me one of those.

Cheers

GRIZZ

My recommendation is a MUCH Bigger SSD.

I had and still use a 250GB SSD dedicated for DCS, but I could clearly see it was going to be Full far sooner than I like.

Then I was basically forced into purchasing and building a Brand New Computer. It was at that time that I chose to invest in a 1TB SSD (M2) for Windows and DCS ... and a few other things. Now I have the 250GB setup for Page File and a couple other minor things and I have Legacy Hard Drives for Data/Photo/Document etc Storage and a smoke'n setup for that which requires more speed.

This is the Drive I got for Window and DCS

https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-860-evo-series-1tb/p/N82E16820147678

I highly recommend it (or one of equal storage capacity).

PS> This most recent Update is a Grotesquely Large Update. I hope it's worth the 7 hours of downloading I have to do in order to complete the download.

That is to say, I hope it Fixes more than it Breaks ! What are the chances ?

SnowTiger:joystick:

If change to a bigger SSD, do we have to uinstall and reinstall the whole DCS with everything or it is possible to just move it to the new disk?

You can use a tool like Macrium Reflect to clone a partition or whole drive to a new drive. It's free for personal use, and I've used it many times without issue.

Not an advert, it's just the only one I tried. I'm sure there's many options. :thumbup:

Running DCS updater to install 2.5.5.31917 today, being quite sure to have enough room on my dedicated DCS 240GB SSD with 39GB to spare.

Suddenly i get informed that there is not enough room on my disk because the update needs 42GB of disk space!!!?…..

You probably have something else on the drive (perhaps a swap file? ) ... as I've almost every DLC and yet still have over 60 GB free on my 240 drive:

rYDeC6w.jpg

If you have more than one drive on your PC, there's also a config now, where you can specify and override the default path of the updater's downloads and temporary files location.

Create an "autoupdate_settings.cfg" file in the root directory of DCS installation and paste this in:

{

"download_dir": "A:\\DCS_TempDownloads"

}

Best regards

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

My recommendation is a MUCH Bigger SSD.

I had and still use a 250GB SSD dedicated for DCS, but I could clearly see it was going to be Full far sooner than I like.

Then I was basically forced into purchasing and building a Brand New Computer. It was at that time that I chose to invest in a 1TB SSD (M2) for Windows and DCS ... and a few other things. Now I have the 250GB setup for Page File and a couple other minor things and I have Legacy Hard Drives for Data/Photo/Document etc Storage and a smoke'n setup for that which requires more speed.

This is the Drive I got for Window and DCS

https://www.newegg.ca/samsung-860-evo-series-1tb/p/N82E16820147678

I highly recommend it (or one of equal storage capacity).

PS> This most recent Update is a Grotesquely Large Update. I hope it's worth the 7 hours of downloading I have to do in order to complete the download.

That is to say, I hope it Fixes more than it Breaks ! What are the chances ?

Whoa 7 hours? That sucks! I was getting upset when it took me 45 minutes to install this morning. I only got to fly for 20 minutes after the install but I have a solid 20 FPS gain on the hornet and harrier on PG map. I don’t use VR, so hopefully the VR guys get an even bigger gain.

45 mins! Lol 42gb download will probably 2 days for me with a max download speed of 600kb/s! So I hope it’s not the much of a large download size for me

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

Download is much smaller. ~14GB download unpacks to 42.

I don't think so.

I started with a download which unpacked and installed and then the updater started to get a 40,797.6MB download which is taking FOREVER to finish downloading.

However, it is downloading faster using the Optional "HTTP" Method of downloading.

I'm sure I still have at least another hour of DL'ing before I'll be able to fly though.

SnowTiger:joystick:

If change to a bigger SSD, do we have to uinstall and reinstall the whole DCS with everything or it is possible to just move it to the new disk?

clone disk prevents you losing anything and keeps the registry items original. Basically it just replaces the old disk with the new disk, and re identifies the old disk as a higher drive letter.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

45 mins! Lol 42gb download will probably 2 days for me with a max download speed of 600kb/s! So I hope it’s not the much of a large download size for me

Dang. I feel bad for you guys with the low speeds. I been complaining that we only get 1 gig internet in my area lol. You guys must be really rural?

Anything less than 500gb is a waste of time nowadays. I would strongly suggest 1Tb at least to be honest. Not cheap, but the reality is you can spend that money now, or you can buy something less and just have to replace it...Ultimately spending more money than you would have just buying it from the jump.

Dang. I feel bad for you guys with the low speeds. I been complaining that we only get 1 gig internet in my area lol. You guys must be really rural?

I live in one of the oldest small villages in Scotland. In the historical town centre it’s not quite as easy just to start lifting the road up to throw some fibre optics cables down it. Unfortunately.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

That certainly makes sense. I think I would give up fast internet to live in a place like that. Don’t get me wrong I live in the mountains 7000 feet above sea level. It’s great here but that sounds awesome!