Mig-21 Landing Done Right

Steinsch

Hello!

After a lot of research, watching RL videos, reading the manual and tons of trials and errors, I believe I have the perfect Mig-21 landing nailed but I will let you be the judge of that. I'm actually totally new to the Mig-21, but landings are my things, so I absolutely needed to do that.

Would love to hear about how to land better! :pilotfly:

Edited by Steinsch

Steinsch

Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch

Absolutely textbook. You should share the configuration of how you accomplished it, no doubt it'd help others really improve their landings.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

butter smooth! very nice job!

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Exceptional! Landing a Fishbed like that is always a very satisfying experience. :)

DCS module wishlist: F-104S ASA-M Starfighter / F-111F Aardvark / F-4E Phantom II / J 35F2 Draken / J-7M AirGuard / Kfir C.2 / MiG-17F / MiG-21 Bison / Mirage F1 / Su-17M4 / Su-24M / Yak-9U

Absolutely textbook. You should share the configuration of how you accomplished it, no doubt it'd help others really improve their landings.

Thank you all!

Yes, approach and landing parameters were as follows:

- Angle of attack: 13° actual, 11° indicated

- Rate of descent: 5 m/s

- Flare: at 5-10 meters, retard throttle to 60-70% RPM and reduce rate of descent to 1 m/s or less

- Upon touchdown, throttle to idle and aerodynamic braking by pitching up (5°) then by deploying the drag chute (once nose wheel on the ground)

- Wheel braking: as required

This was done with only 15% of fuel.

Edited by Steinsch
Clarity

Steinsch

Really a wonderful landing. :)

Landing the MiG most time feel to me, like someone drops a basketball ...need to practice more landing the MiG.

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

Really a wonderful landing. :)

Landing the MiG most time feel to me, like someone drops a basketball ...need to practice more landing the MiG.

It's pretty easy to get the Fishbed to land, but to get a beautiful greased landing on it requires some practice. It's REALLY easy to come in juuuust a little too slow or have too high of an alpha.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

True. I could get the MiG down in one piece and all wheels intact, no question, but Steinsch´ landing is really something to accomplish.

Yeah, a little bit too slow and the fishbed falls like a stone from the sky, but exactly for this sensitvity and other special behaviours, I love to fly this bird. :)

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

True. I could get the MiG down in one piece and all wheels intact, no question, but Steinsch´ landing is really something to accomplish.

Yeah, a little bit too slow and the fishbed falls like a stone from the sky, but exactly for this sensitvity and other special behaviours, I love to fly this bird. :)

I think a bad habit for a lot of MiG drivers is to just dump full flaps for landing. The take-off flaps might be enough for such a light load like <15% fuel. What's also fun is perform a STOL technique that simpajik brought to the dev's attention and had fixed:

msyVkuIHXnc

That sensitivity is why she's still one of my favorites, but I'm biased, funnily enough. My only wish is that we could get one of the crazy upgrades like a LanceR or Bison.

Edited by MiG21bisFishbedL

Now try this with full fuel, 3 drop tanks full, AA missile load and gun ammo :D

I'm going to try that and see if I can't get it at least acceptable.

Now try this with full fuel, 3 drop tanks full, AA missile load and gun ammo :D

I think you'll break the plane.

Also Steinsch nicely done man, I have to keep practicing my landings. So far I'm happy bringing the plane back in one piece, but yours was exceptional!

Main: MiG-21bis, because pocket rockets are fun

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Also Steinsch nicely done man, I have to keep practicing my landings. So far I'm happy bringing the plane back in one piece, but yours was exceptional!

Nah, it's not hard. You just have to monitor your VSI like a hawk.

Thanks!

I watched the video and the trk file again, and I believe this can still be improved. I was aiming for a 1 m/s touchdown, but right before hitting the runway I lost too much speed and lift and fell to 2 m/s.

I would also have had more margin if I had crossed the threshold slightly lower.

In the meantime, I'm doing the heavy landing challenge. I'm doing ok, but can't seem to touch softly and align nicely on the runway centerline at the same time.

Steinsch

Finally had a few minutesyesterday to fly. Perhaps not done quite right, but it is heavy. Patrol, Long range loadout--Gross weight: 9754 Kg. Landing at Kutaisi West which is a fairly short runway @ 1.3 KM:

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

@Ironhand: Great attitude control during the flare!

I don't know if it is possible to get this nose wheel on the ground smoothly with that kind of weight.

The feeling of shaking in this cockpit never gets old. Would love to have that in other planes.

Steinsch

@Ironhand: Great attitude control during the flare!

I don't know if it is possible to get this nose wheel on the ground smoothly with that kind of weight.

The feeling of shaking in this cockpit never gets old. Would love to have that in other planes.

Thank you. It’s not so much a flare as a round out. Just had to do it more abruptly than usual because of the excessive weight. In going through the various manuals, I realized they were talking about a round out rather than a flare at that point in the landing sequence.

In my experience, it’s your landing speed that dictates how abruptly the nose wheel comes down. At around 250 km/hr, it comes down gently. At 280 it’ll be far more abrupt. So, to a large degree, I suppose it’s tied to landing weight. This particular landing was grossly overweight as you know. My poor flight crew would have spent hours inspecting the aircraft as a result.

Edited by Ironhand

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

Thank you. It’s not so much a flare as a round out. Just had to do it more abruptly than usual because of the excessive weight. In going through the various manuals, I realized they were talking about a round out rather than a flare at that point in the landing sequence.

In my experience, it’s your landing speed that dictates how abruptly the nose wheel comes down. At around 250 km/hr, it comes down gently. At 280 it’ll be far more abrupt. So, to a large degree, I suppose it’s tied to landing weight. This particular landing was grossly overweight as you know. My poor flight crew would have spent hours inspecting the aircraft as a result.

Yes. I feel the round out has to be abrupt and late because we can't hold a high AoA during approach to slow down without having an unacceptable sink rate. I tried again today after seeing your video.

Steinsch

Yes. I feel the round out has to be abrupt and late because we can't hold a high AoA during approach to slow down without having an unacceptable sink rate. I tried again today after seeing your video.

:) Nicely done. Guess I prefer having a better view of the threshold and runway on the way down, when making a visual approach, so I come in steeper.

_____

I think a bad habit for a lot of MiG drivers is to just dump full flaps for landing. The take-off flaps might be enough for such a light load like <15% fuel.

Probably true. I've heard from a RL Mig-21 pilot that they were required not to use full flaps for landing while at a training stage.

i5-9600K@4.8GHz 32Gb DDR4 Asus TUF rtx3080 OC Quest Pro Warthog on Virpil base