42GB Update

51GRIZZLY

Does every update add a few gigabytes just on principle? I‘ve never noticed.

No, it's all entirely dependent on what modules you have and what got patched. If you don't own any extra maps, by default your install will be dozens of gb smaller. Each aircraft is only a few gb on its own in total, if that.

The downloads may be fairly large, but they'll generally overwrite pre-existing data in most cases. 42g dl may result in only very little, or possibly no increase, all depending on what changed.

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

...they'll generally overwrite pre-existing data in most cases. 42g dl may result in only very little, or possibly no increase, all depending on what changed.

Sounds like an inefficient process. I had to download about 16 GB over a relatively slow ADSL connection with < 4 M Bit/s. That kept my line busy for about a full day with very little other internet usage possible.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

LeCuvier, how do you figure 'downloading only what you need' is inefficient? You only download things that change, for modules you own. If a bunch of stuff gets downloaded, most of it will overwrite what's already there. It's REPLACING stuff that changed, not necessarily ADDING to it. If you only downloaded 16gb, that means 16gb worth of changes happened to your modules.

Example :

MiG-21 adds a new texture, you download the new texture.

A-10C gets a new cockpit. You don't own the A-10 so download nothing.

You own every module like I do, all of them receive changes, I download all of them.

Deactivate modules you're not using, you'll only download stuff for the ones you left activated.

Each person has a different download based on what they own and what is activated. OP downloaded 42gb. Maybe you only download 16. Maybe I download 58gb, and another guy downloads nothing because none of his modules changed. That's literally as efficient as possible.

If you're worried about your bandwidth, run in offline mode and only update when convenient.

Edited by zhukov032186

Zhukov, apparently I misunderstood your statement "they'll generally overwrite pre-existing data in most cases." I thought it would overwrite existing code even if it was unchanged.

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

LeCuvier, how do you figure 'downloading only what you need' is inefficient? You only download things that change, for modules you own. If a bunch of stuff gets downloaded, most of it will overwrite what's already there. It's REPLACING stuff that changed, not necessarily ADDING to it. If you only downloaded 16gb, that means 16gb worth of changes happened to your modules.

Example :

MiG-21 adds a new texture, you download the new texture.

A-10C gets a new cockpit. You don't own the A-10 so download nothing.

You own every module like I do, all of them receive changes, I download all of them.

Deactivate modules you're not using, you'll only download stuff for the ones you left activated.

Each person has a different download based on what they own and what is activated. OP downloaded 42gb. Maybe you only download 16. Maybe I download 58gb, and another guy downloads nothing because none of his modules changed. That's literally as efficient as possible.

If you're worried about your bandwidth, run in offline mode and only update when convenient.

Not exactly true. The basic update has size even if you had no bought content. You add to that size after the update has finished installing and you start DCS to add what you bought.

So, we all download the same amount in the initial download.

Buzz

Compared to what, a game from the 90s? Multi gb downloads are extremely common across my entire Steam library. This isn't exactly a static environment. I realise some people have slow internet... but my fiance lived in Eastern Europe and even she had 100Mbs connection =) Decent internet is hardly the purview of rich westerners in giant glass high rises :p

Compared to what, a game from the 90s? Multi gb downloads are extremely common across my entire Steam library. This isn't exactly a static environment. I realise some people have slow internet... but my fiance lived in Eastern Europe and even she had 100Mbs connection =) Decent internet is hardly the purview of rich westerners in giant glass high rises :p

Haha ... Eastern Europe have better and much cheaper connectivity than Western Europe (general rule). For Romania for example 1GB domestic bandwidth is very common and affordable (~10 euro/month)

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

Haha ... Eastern Europe have better and much cheaper connectivity than Western Europe (general rule). For Romania for example 1GB domestic bandwidth is very common and affordable (~10 euro/month)

I'm pretty sure he meant the US when he said, Westerners.

Buzz

Yeah, I meant the US =) I used to have 100Mbs but then I moved to this new apartment, after being told I could have any internet I wanted I discovered that was untrue. I have some scam service whose site doesn't work, and AT&T 18Mbs for what my 100 used to cost. I definitely feel for slow net users... I am one now rofl but that's what happens when you assume the random flunky at the front desk knows her bum from a hole in the ground -_-

I have 3.5Mbs on a good day..... yes that is a small b.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

You must pay over $100 mo for that? Cox?

Suddenlink or as we call it Sudden Stink. I think its $90 a month. I get mad at them because we never actually get 1 gig/sec. down. I use my own modem and separate wireless router both are rated over a gig. I understand that wireless wont be close, none of the current wireless cards can actually do a gig. But my Pc with a 5 foot Ethernet cable plugged into the modem, I usually only get 750 - 850 mbps down. It’s aggravating paying for their best product and it always comes up short. I’m only maybe 600 - 700 yards away from the main fiber optic trunk :cry:

1560425125-dsc-0781.jpg

(over wifi)

Not bad for 0€/month :p

No ISP in the world can guarantee you a fix speed because it rely on too many factors (less true with fiber).

I am an adsl technician and you wouldn't believe how many things can impact on the speed.

Spectrum said we'll get 100 MBs and i've never checked it that it wasn't higher than that. The good part is we used to be under 50 MBs and they increased it to 100Mbs and didn't charge any more money for it.

I wish I could say the same for the TV service. That's always going up. I pay $110 mo for the internet, TV with 400 channels, and phone with free long distance. Maybe not the best deal but it's the only option we have here.

Buzz

Spectrum said we'll get 100 MBs and i've never checked it that it wasn't higher than that. The good part is we used to be under 50 MBs and they increased it to 100Mbs and didn't charge any more money for it.

I wish I could say the same for the TV service. That's always going up. I pay $110 mo for the internet, TV with 400 channels, and phone with free long distance. Maybe not the best deal but it's the only option we have here.

Doesn’t sound like the worst deal. Especially for tv and phone bundled in.

True but the normal price would be more like $150. I cry old man on Social Security and they give me specials that are only given to those new to signing up. I'm being honest. My check barely lasts to the end of the month.

Buzz

True but the normal price would be more like $150. I cry old man on Social Security and they give me specials that are only given to those new to signing up. I'm being honest. My check barely lasts to the end of the month.

Nothing wrong with getting a discount. Especially when on a fixed income. I’m glad you’re able to flight sim on a budget like that. My wife is on SS disability so I know how crappy those checks are with the cost of everything these days.