Will the stick move!?

SpicyMiG

I know it doesn't really move but I have heard there is a small amount of movement for tactile feedback. Will the sim reflect this accurately?

It moves about a 1/8 of an inch (3.1mm) I don't see how will they model this differently. I guess I don't understand your question. Could you elaborate?

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

The animation in the pit will most likely be accurate but the axes themselves will be like every other aircraft. There will be no "G-stick", unless ED has a special options function that will cater to FSSB users.

Edited by Tailhook

Intel i9-13900K : ASUS TUF RTX 4080 : 32GB G.Skill RipjawsV 4000 : TM HOTAS Warthog : HP Reverb G2

IIRC, the real F-16 is not flown with the stick travel, instead with stick forces.

So when you wanna turn tighter, you don't (can't) move the stick wider, you have to pull it harder.

Yep, that's not what I don't understand though - force or displacement, it's still just X and Y values. What has G got to do with that?!

I think this is a good video showing how much it moves

Z9nePXG6YG8

Is a 360 video so you have to move the view.

You can also see the pilot using the trim switch for those that still erroneously think it does not trim.

Also, yes, this is not the versions of the F-16 we are getting in DCS. I am aware.

I'm still hoping SpicyMiG can elaborate on what he meant.

Edited by mvsgas

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..

Maybe someone can do the math. 1/8 inch (3.1mm) at the bases, stick is about 6 inches (152.4mm) long. How much movement will it have at the top?

To whom it may concern,

You guys really worry about this too much.

It's a force-sensing stick, but it's still mounted on rubber blocks (or something like that) so it can move a little bit, just to give the pilot a more intuitive control feel, since they all learn to fly on other types of aircraft and expect the control stick to move when applying force to it--it's the normal way it's done. It probably doesn't have to move much at all in normal flying, but it still moves a little.

So, the stick in the DCS module will probably move a little bit when you provide control inputs--especially heavy ones. You won't see it much because it's tucked away down and to the side--it's a sidestick controller, and you won't see it in the normal forward view out of the cockpit unless you zoom all the way out. The F-16 has a small cockpit, and the force-sensing sidestick was used because it takes up very little room in the cockpit compared to a center-mounted, full-moving (deflection type) control stick on a conventional gimbal.

That's it :)

AD

Kit:

B550 Aorus Elite AX V2, Ryzen 7 5800X w/ Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE, 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury DDR4 @3600MHz C16, Gigabyte RTX 3070 Windforce 8GB, EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 PSU, HP Omen 32" 2560x1440, Thrustmaster Cougar HOTAS fitted with Leo Bodnar's BU0836A controller.

--Flying is the art of throwing yourself at the ground, and having all the rules and regulations get in the way!

If man was meant to fly, he would have been born with a lot more money!

I'm shore at least two of those pilots had been drinking.

Edited by ShadowVonChadwick

RyZen5 3600x, MSI GamingX RX 5700xt, AX-370-K7, 16 Gig G-Skil 3200 :thumbup:, Antec 650w (Still),Win10 on 256G 870 NVMe, 860+850 Evo for Apps, 2x1TB WD HDs for :music_whistling:, TR5 :detective:, Hog stick:joystick:, 3x TM MFD Bezels. a 32" AOC, @ 2560x1440, no floppy & a crappy chair :pain:. Its hard to find a chair that accepts you as you grow.:pilotfly:

Yes, the stick moves to a small degree that matches the video posted above.

Thanks

Exceptions were only on the first series of F-16A where the stick was complete without a move.

But this new "feature" caused several accidents in landing, because of some pilots couldn't adapt to this new system of control.

Edited by Magot

I know it doesn't really move but I have heard there is a small amount of movement for tactile feedback. Will the sim reflect this accurately?

If you watch the trailer again of wags flying through the gulf you can actually see a small bit of movement in the stick when he turns. That seems pretty accurate. And the stick at first didn't move at all but pilots had a hard time with that so they built in about 1/8" of movement to help.

Intel I9-9900k, Gigabyte AORUS Ultra, 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z Royal 3200, EVGA 2080Ti, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 512, Samsung M.2 960 Pro 1TB, MCG, Vipril, TM Controls, SLAW device rudders, Obutto Revolution, Valve Index

If you watch the trailer again of wags flying through the gulf....

I think you mean Syria. ;)

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.