Mission 2 - ARC-UD

MrDieing

Anyone had success using this when homing to the ship? Cant seem to get it to work. I am unfamiliar with this system so that definately plays a part. I followed the steps from Chucks Guide and cant get it to work. The crew VO's talk about recieving a signal on 121.5, but its not showing on the ARC-UD console, nor am I hearing anything. Luckily I did spot a flare in some direction and headed towards it.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

I didn't play the 2nd mission yet, but I should have time on Wednesday. I'll check it out.

The position of the switch for UHD/VHD may be of importance...(number 4 on Chuck's guide/page 103). Position down is for the default emergency broadcast signal. However, since I did not play it yet, I'm just guessing.

Edit: Since it says 121.5 - did you chose channel 4?

Edited by rge75

The signal is working fine once you're "close enough" (until you get to the red smoke - after that, the singal seems to disappear). I've catched the signal somewhere between WP2 and WP3. I once shortly lost it but it appeared again.

Just make sure you set the ARC-UD correctly (screenshot 1).

- narrow

- channel 4

If you see the green light, then you have a signal.

- make sure the switch below the HSI is to the right position (ARC UD VHF)

(screenshot 2)

However, I anyway had problems to finish it. There was nothing at the red smoke. Should't there have been a live resue boat or something like that? (screenshot 3 and 4). So what do you do there? Hover above the red smoke?

arc_ud.JPG.1e030ef9713662907a2bf7c59a0b7885.JPG

arc_ud2.thumb.JPG.c1fa71cfffcbe09802b8360b910ad79a.JPG

Capture.thumb.JPG.b2c4671ca9a78d6cd635e7a8a5509c76.JPG

Capture2.thumb.JPG.2e6de191b0b199ddf6b8d2eeda696d84.JPG

Ok so the ARC-UD is on my end then. I did manage to finish it without using it though. There is supposed to be a cargo ship at the red smoke. Perhaps you turned on and picked up the signal too early? Triggering stuff in the wrong order? Is WP2 and WP3 the first leg of the search pattern? I seem to remember my crew starting to talking about recieving a signal on the second leg of the search pattern; even though I had not set the ARC-UD properly.

''Greed is a bottomless pit which exhausts the person in an endless effort to satisfy the need without ever reaching satisfaction.''

Erich Fromm

Thanks for the information. I tried it a 2nd time and this time I made sure I did not turn set anything on the ARC-UD before I was told to. It even told me "CHECK RADIO BEACON SEARCH SETTINGS". Once set up, it disappered.

Yes, WP2 and WP3 is the first leg of the search pattern. I always get the "signal" between WP2 and WP3 and that's why I start turning toward the signal.

When getting closer, I get all the messages like "30th, it's "Scout 5th", we haev found SOS signal; we are going in it's direction. Weill report on discovering". So it seems like all the events get triggered.

The last messages I get is "30th, it's "Scout 5th"; I confirm, it's Lihovets. It's adrift, there are people on deck. They have given red smoke, I'm coming closer, will drop the radio." and "Got you! We send rescue boats to your position. Do your job, "Scout 5th"

However, the ship is NOT there. Only the red smoke. In the mission editor, I saw that the ship does not have a route, thus it should be there. However, it's also set to late activation.

No matter what it is, I can't complete this mission because no more events are triggered. I hovered above the red smoke and nothing happened.

If the devs need to have a deeper look into it - I can send the trk file and I could also upload a video (recorded the whole session).

There's definitively something not working.

Yeah something is off, however it did work for me; the boat was there on my play. So Im not sure whats going on with your mission.

Erich Fromm

Same here, i fly to the Signal get all Messages like "rge75" told above... but only red smoke. Before i see some red Signal Flares from SOS Signal sight, but at Rescue Point only this red smoke, no ship..Nothing.

But i try it with all Signal Finders off like ARC-UD

Edited by Gerd-Wiem

The same with ARC-UD off. North-West from wypoint 3 ist the sos ship or flares behind search line 4, but not present there as a ship, only sos-signal Flares and red smoke above the water. No ship present. MrDieing (i hope not), but has you the Position of the sos ship in mind.

If I recall correctly, its somewhere between the legs of WP6 & 7 and WP 8 & 9. Not sure. The way I did the mission is, fly two legs of the search pattern and just before the second leg ends I turned towards the flare which was then to my approx 5 'o clock.

Erich Fromm

Thanks for the information. That's the same spot where the red smoke is - and that's also where the ship should be according the mission editor. I really think there's a trigger somewhere who should activate the ship; and maybe it won't trigger unless you fly to e.g. WP8. However, I'm just guessing.

In my 2 attempts, I always turned North-East somewhere in the middle of the leg "WP2-WP3" (the first leg of the search pattern, heading 180°).

I'll probably wait for a feedback of the dev before trying again.

If you do want to give it another go I recommend continueing the search pattern untill just before the end of the second leg, then turn NE for the flare and/or signal. The Dev seems to be a ghost (I have no clue who he/she is) and I have a feeling we are the only three people playing this campaign :D

Erich Fromm

With the 2nd leg, you mean the one to the North, heading 0° (3rd leg of the search pattern) or really the 2nd leg (heading East, 90°)?

Yeah, it's a bit sad that we're currently left alone.

Off-topic:

The number of players would be interesting. I recently discussed it with somebody else. So of the whole DCS community, only a small part plays helicopter. Of this small group, only a small part have the Mi-8 and of this even smaller group, even fewer people are active on the forum. That's why we end up at 3 people only discussing in this sub-forum.

With the 2nd leg I mean the second time you fly the long straight leg. I believe its the one you say is heading North. I'm at work at the moment so Im not sure about the headings etc. But is the long one, and the second time you fly it. (Essentially you are heading back)

Erich Fromm

Thanks for your Infos, but we could end the Mission around the red smoke, but only with 60 percent without RTB...Maybe RTB brings 90-100 percent, i will give it a next try. I think too there is a trigger Problem. Right, from WP4 to 5.. Right side is the Signal, but i get it much earlyer on first long WP run from 2-3 than left of course near the middle of the run.

Ah, I see. So the campaign would proceed because the score is >50. However, I want to do it complete and I also want the full 100 percent. It just doesn't feel right if I only hover around red smoke. Also, I think I paid for the full mission ;-) With that said, I'll have to wait for a fix by the devs or I'll have to fly the full pattern, hoping that it would trigger the events. Maybe NOT using the ARC-UD would help because MrDieng did not have a signal and it was working for him....

And yes, I also get the signal on the first search leg. That's why I never flew the full pattern.

Hello, i'm the creator of the campaign.

Hello, to say the truth, i've completed this mission more than 10 times and the ship has always appeared in the set place. It is important to pass all the points by the route.

more precisely, it looks like this: https://yadi.sk/i/CgagBIPCRihkCg

ALERT. SPOILERS!

If you pass all this long trip keeping the route( CP1, СP2, Сp3), then in the end there will be a ship. You drop the radio set down. Then you can't help the sailors, however a submarine arrives and the mission ends.

Yes, is a Simulation and not a simple gameplay, we should have to wait for a hotfix. But why the Producer "Forexkor" from Samara is quit absent in this Sub-Forum nobody knows.

i'm sorry for my absence, from now, i'll be there twice a week.

Thank you, I'll try it again. In that case, the problem really was that I've received the signal "too early" and therfore I turned toward the ship without passing CP2 and CP3.

Maybe the trigger zone is too big though? I was between CP1 and CP2 (checked it with Garmin) but I was told to turn on the ARC-UD. And since I already received a signal there, I simply decided to follow it.

Thank you, I'll try it again. In that case, the problem really was that I've received the signal "too early" and therfore I turned toward the ship without passing CP2 and CP3.

Maybe the trigger zone is too big though? I was between CP1 and CP2 (checked it with Garmin) but I was told to turn on the ARC-UD. And since I already received a signal there, I simply decided to follow it.

i will check the mission and fix all the issues.

Guys, the problem with the early signal is not actually a problem. The thing is that the soundtrack is at the same frequency. You get NOT the SOS signal, but the soundtrack. The SOS signal appears after consistent passing all the route points. After CP3. Sound signal is exactly the SOS in Morse code

I have fixed all the trigger zones. All except this one. You should orient exactly on SOS sound signal

Guys, the problem with the early signal is not actually a problem. The thing is that the soundtrack is at the same frequency. You get NOT the SOS signal, but the soundtrack. The SOS signal appears after consistent passing all the route points. After CP3. Sound signal is exactly the SOS in Morse code

I have fixed all the trigger zones. All except this one. You should orient exactly on SOS sound signal

Ok, I'll also try again. Thanks for the explanation. I turned off the soundtrack though. I thought when I get the green light on channel 4, then it's the SOS signal - especially because the needle also turned to the correct position. I did not listen to the morse code though. I'll pay attention on on the sound on my next run.

I now flew CP1, CP2 and CP3 and the ship appeared. Nevertheless, while the voice over for the the beacon is triggered after CP3, the signal (green light) definitively already appears earlier (between CP1 and CP2). Therefore it's a bit misleading that you anyway have to continue the search pattern even though you have the SOS signal (the compass indicator shows you the direction to the ship). To me, it was simply logical to follow the beacon as soon as I had the green signal.

Anyway, mission accomplished - looking forward to mission 3.