Centaur IV???

DD_Fenrir

:huh:

Perplexed in the greatest measure by the inclusion of a minimally used piece of SP armoured artillery.

Why has developer time been wasted on yet another vehicle that:

a) was never included as part of the planned asset list (M10 anyone?)

b) will be virtually impervious to all but the luckiest air attack (unless you take a loadout that wasn't available to an aircraft that never flew over Normandy anyway)

Time would have been much better spent on getting the planned:

• E-boat Schnellboot type S-130

• Uboat type 7

These at least would have provided better mission variety.

I still can't believe that the completely absent towed artillery types I have been suggesting since day one are still absent.

These represent a far more appealing target as they are more vulnerable to destruction by air attack and therefore present a more achievable target goal for mission designers. I for one would welcome the chance to try and silence some towed field guns as they barrage a push by friendly ground forces. Right now I couldn't even ask the AI - in squadron strength! - to reliably accomplish the same against the armoured SP types we currently have.

Alternatively, what about the period radars, allowing GCI? That would open up the air-to air flexibility massively for both sides?

Or a generic cargo ship type of a more period style that can be used by either side. Or an WW2 allied destroyer?

It would be less frustrating to feel that this wasn't a token effort to try and placate those of us who are crying out for WW2 assets; assets that will start providing the mortar to truly cement the environment, providing both variety in mission types and a truly homogenous battlefield environment.

WW2 is supposed to be the new big thing for DCS why are we getting arguably irrelevant scraps like this?

:huh:

Perplexed in the greatest measure by the inclusion of a minimally used piece of SP armoured artillery.

Why has developer time been wasted on yet another vehicle that:

a) was never included as part of the planned asset list (M10 anyone?)

b) will be virtually impervious to all but the luckiest air attack (unless you take a loadout that wasn't available to an aircraft that never flew over Normandy anyway)

Time would have been much better spent on getting the planned:

These at least would have provided better mission variety.

I still can't believe that the completely absent towed artillery types I have been suggesting since day one are still absent.

These represent a far more appealing target as they are more vulnerable to destruction by air attack and therefore present a more achievable target goal for mission designers. I for one would welcome the chance to try and silence some towed field guns as they barrage a push by friendly ground forces. Right now I couldn't even ask the AI - in squadron strength! - to reliably accomplish the same against the armoured SP types we currently have.

Alternatively, what about the period radars, allowing GCI? That would open up the air-to air flexibility massively for both sides?

Or a generic cargo ship type of a more period style that can be used by either side. Or an WW2 allied destroyer?

It would be less frustrating to feel that this wasn't a token effort to try and placate those of us who are crying out for WW2 assets; assets that will start providing the mortar to truly cement the environment, providing both variety in mission types and a truly homogenous battlefield environment.

WW2 is supposed to be the new big thing for DCS why are we getting arguably irrelevant scraps like this?

The WW2 pack has other units into DCS, not implemented, and others on progress and has building by the WW2 team, not by ED. about some units, that require ED implement some functionality first as torpedoes on naval environment to work and others. take care and wait for news.

The centaur tank has a Close Support tank, not a SP armored artillery. The "planned assets" has never was a list write on stone, and has subject to change.

Edited by Silver_Dragon

There is competition between DCS and a particular other game. This just reinforces the anti-DCS WWII argument.

ED (and any other third parties working on DCS WWII), thanks for the Centaur, but being a Normandy map, we should have Normandy units. Most common and important first and foremost.

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There is competition between DCS and a particular other game. This just reinforces the anti-DCS WWII argument.

ED (and any other third parties working on DCS WWII), thanks for the Centaur, but being a Normandy map, we should have Normandy units. Most common and important first and foremost.

The Centaur tank was used on the D-Day campaign by the English forces on Gold, Juno and Sword Beach's, on the initial assaults.

https://www.dday-overlord.com/en/material/tank/mk-iv-centaur

http://tank-photographs.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/pegasus-bridge-centaur-tank-memorial.html

http://www.6juin1944.com/assaut/en_index.html

Edited by Silver_Dragon

Excellent!

Hardware: T-16000M Pack, Saitek 3 Throttle Quadrant, Homemade 32-function Leo Bodnar Button Box, MFG Crosswind Pedals Oculus Rift S

System Specs: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS, GTX 1070 SC2, AMD RX3700, 32GB DDR4-3200, Samsung 860 EVO, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB

Modules: Ka-50, Mi-8MTV2, FC3, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-5E, P-51D, Spitfire Mk LF Mk. IXc, Bf-109K-4, Fw-190A-8

Maps: Normandy, Nevada

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

To be fair, I welcome any and all relevant units to the asset pack; the Centaur certainly has it's place as a valid piece of equipment found on the Normandy map.

However, compared to other units it was operated in small numbers, and is definitely a self propelled artillery piece. It was driven by a Royal Artillery member!

It also, as I have pointed out before, is virtually irrelevant to the fighter bomber jocks; at 300-400 kph and 100m it will be indistinguishable from a standard Cromwell. It's highly unlikely they'd be able to destroy it even if they could discern and ultimately, would the difference matter? AI won't be able to use it in a tactically beneficial manner anyhoo.

Is it nice to have, yes, I guess, but I'd rather have had umpteen different and more beneficial units that mean more to those of us trying desperately to make meaningful, satisfying and prototypical missions than an obscure SP artillery piece.

Again, I believe, no, I know, that the resources spent on this would have better served the community being used to further the development of any of the following:

Period Radar

Liberty Ship

Axis Merchant

Axis Minesweeper

Allied Destroyer

Towed Field Artillery

Fuel Bowsers

Vehicle Mounted AAA

Ambulances

Fire Trucks

Ground Crew

FAC Armoured Car

I would really like some more third Reich artillery, there's like 1 so far

One more than the Allies have, until the Centaur comes out, but it is not in the same league.

The Allies could really use a Sexton and both sides could use a towed artillery piece and tractor but there are probably other items that I would prioritize over them. A British RADAR being top of the list, followed by AI aircraft appropriate for the era.

Don't forget, ED and/or 3rd Party are working on two -- or was it three? -- new WWII maps, at least one of which will be free. So Normandy will not be the measure of all things WWII in DCS in the not too distant future = two-more-weeks * X ;)

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

new WWII maps, at least one of which will be free

Huh? The only thing I've heard is they're working on several maps, but AFAIK there's been no mention of the freebie being a WW2-era module. Have they explicitly stated this is the case, and if so, where?

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

Could be mistaken tho

Nope, you're right. Now that you brought it up, 9L did say somewhere that it isn't a WW2 map. I remember that too now. So it seems that it's actually Captain Orso who's mistaken here.

The DCS Mi-8MTV2. The best aviational BBW experience you could ever dream of.

The centaur has a Assault Gun..... and the Reich has not a "assault guns"? Remember, Stug IV and others included and Stug III in progress.

The "actual" list in progress and released:

® Released

(I) In progress

(P) Planned

Infantry:

- Axis:

German Herr soldier ®

- Allied:

US Paratrooper soldier ®

England Infantry soldier ®

Aircrafts:

- Fighters:

P-47D Thunderbolt (I)

P-51D (25/30) ®

Spitfire Mk.IX and CW ®

Axis:

Bf-109K-4 ®

Fw-190 A-8/F-8 (I) D-9 ®

- Bombers:

Allied:

A-20G Havok Light Bomber (I)

B-17G Bomber ®

B-24 (P)

B-25 (P)

B-26 (P)

de Havilland Mosquito FB Mk.VI (I)

Axis:

Heinkel 111 Bomber (P)

Ju-88A-4/Torp (I)

- Transports:

Allied

C-47 Dakota (I)

Ships:

Landing Ships:

- Allied:

APA Arthur Middleton-class (USS Samuel Chase) ®

LCVP Higgins ®

LST Mk2 ®

-Small units:

Axis:

E-boat Schnellboot type S-130 (I)

-Submarines:

Axis:

Type VII-С/41 (I)

Trains:

Axis and Allied:

DR 50 Ton Flat Wagon Type SSys ®

DRG Class 86 Stream Locomotive ®

G10 covered wagon ®

Tank wagon ®

Vehicles:

- Anti Air Artillery:

Axis:

2 cm Flak 30/38/Flakvierling ®

8.8 cm Flak Gun 18, 36, & 37 ® 41 (I)

Kommandogerät 40 ®

Allied:

Bofors 40 mm gun ®

-Artillery:

Allied:

M-12 GMC 155mm Artillery ®

M-30 Cargo Carrier ®

-Assault Guns:

Allied:

Centaur IV close support tank (I)

Axis

StuG III (I)

StuG IV ®

Sturmpanzer 43 Brummbär, Sd. Kfz. 166 ®

-Tanks:

Allied:

Cromwell Mk.VIII Cruise Tank ®

Sherman Firefly ®

Sherman M4 ®

Sherman M4A4 "Hedge cutter" Rhinoceros ®

Axis:

Panzer IV Ausf. H ®

Panzer V Panther ®

Panzer VI Tiger Ausf. E (Tiger I) ®

Panzer VI Tiger Ausf. B (Tiger II) ®

-Tank Hunters:

Allied:

M10 "Wolverine" tank destroyer (I)

Axis:

Jagdpanzer IV (Sd.Kfz. 162) ®

Jagdpanther G1 ®

-Recon:

Axis:

Sd.Kfz. 234/2 Puma ®

Transport and APCs:

Allied:

Bedford MWD 4x4 Truck ®

GMC CCKW 2½-ton 6x6 Truck ®

M2A1 Halftrack ®

Willys MB jeep 1/4 ton 4x4 Truck ®

Axis:

Horch 901 Type 4 kfz 21 ®

Opel Blitz 36-6700A ®

Sd.Kfz.2 Kettenkrad ®

Sd.Kfz. 7 ®

Sd.Kfz. 251 ®

Volkswagen Kübelwagen 82 ®

Others:

Axis

Flakscheinwerfer 37 (I)

Maschinenstz 33 (I)

Edited by Silver_Dragon

The centaur has a Assault Gun..... and the Reich has not a "assault guns"? Remember, Stug IV and others included and Stug III in progress.

8<

What isn't still "in progress"?

-Assault Guns:

Allied:

Centaur IV close support tank (D)

Axis

StuG III (D)

StuG IV ®

Sturmpanzer 43 Brummbär, Sd. Kfz. 166 ®

8<

BTW, Sturmgeschütz literally means assault gun.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1