AIM-120 for the Hornet

FistofZen

i dont think its a Swiss Specific Mod.

http://marvineng.com/product/lau-127/

Since to my Knowledge you cant mount Bombs and A/A Missiles to the Same Pylon because the Missiles on the Wing Pylons are rail Launched

The low drag outer wing pylon shown on the pic you posted definitely is a swiss specific mod. Launcher might be lau-127 or something else, i don't know for sure.

Another pic showing the low drag pylon.

XvN9ZMc.jpg

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The maximum range again (like it was in aim-7) i so damn short...

When DCS will fix this for both missiles?

Someone tell me, is this normal, when real max range is 30+ nm, the range in DCS to be 6-7 nm.

????

Maximum range AIM-120B is between 30 and 40 nm

1) its maximum range where misile fall on the ground - so this is not maximum shoot range

2) when you shoot "face to face" for example in range 15 nm - so count that distance of misile will be + - 12 nm

3) when you shoot "in tandem" (both planes in same direction) for example in range 15 nm - so count that final distance of misile can be + - 18 nm

4) on long distance shoot only against low maneuvering targets (bombers or "sleeping" fighters)

5) I tested in DCS this amraam and I had succesfull hit enemy target from 15nm!

(face to face, mach 1, 10 000 ft, target IL-78)

6) against fighters I had succesfull hits from distance 6 - 9nm

Edited by Magot

You're missing his point SeaFox...

We know how the 120 is "supposed" to work. He was talking about how it can be used currently with the surprise 120 on the 18 RIGHT NOW. Not IRL. Not the 15.

How to use the missile RIGHT NOW on the 18.

Read his post again before you respond ;). Thanks.

Well you can't use it at low altitudes...I fired two at a tanker at around angels 3 and range of about 8 nm...both took a swim

Well you can't use it at low altitudes...I fired two at a tanker at around angels 3 and range of about 8 nm...both took a swim

I'm not sure how this is relevant to my post?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

btw is there one bug

when I shoot 4 AAM misile (quickly) so after some time when first misile lost any energy so second misile SHOOT DOWN this misile - so both misiles are lost by friendly fire :lol:

Next third and fourth continue to target and hit him correct

> DCS Community cries for 2 months can't use AIM-7, demand AIM-120.

> ED gives them the AIM-120.

> Community immediately cries about not having a pitbull countdown and shooting friendlies down because following ROE is difficult.

Oh you guys... Please, never change. :D

This will be a slower time as team members are on holiday throught the summer season, however we have been seeing constant updates for the F-18c regardless.

No need to apologize BIGNEWY, he's doing a great job. In the past I was very critical with Eagle Dynamics, but today I thank you. Really the updates are more frequent than ever. Thank you very much for your enormous work.

To answer everyone's question about the rail, per A1-F18AC-NFM-200 Fig. 11-2, AIM-120 has drag counts published for "Fuselage" and "LAU-127". LAU-127 requires a LAU-115 DRA, and the LAU-115 can be loaded on pylon. This gives the impression that AIM-120 can only be carried in pairs on the pylons. Can anyone find a picture of a single AIM-120 loaded on a SUU-63? Super Hornets can carry a single LAU-127 on a SUU-80 outboard pylon, but I've never seen a Legacy with a single AIM-120 on a pylon.

I checked the a-d hornet loading checklist at work and this is correct. Legacy hornets don't use the adu773 to fit single 127's on a pylon. It must be through the 115 with lau127s attached to the sides. Just like the sidewinders. This is of course the US NAVYS version(which is what we have in dcs)

btw is there one bug

when I shoot 4 AAM misile (quickly) so after some time when first misile lost any energy so second misile SHOOT DOWN this misile - so both misiles are lost by friendly fire :lol:

Next third and fourth continue to target and hit him correct

I don't know if its technically a bug, but its been something that I picked up on a long time ago in the F-15 with 120s. It happens specifically if you are accelerating while launching. If you space subsequent launches out 4-6 secs (or slow down), it mitigates this behavior. You're basically giving the next missile a boost to overtake the first, while taking a near equal flight profile.

That behavior is generally correct when shooting at distances/situations where the missile will slow down to launch speed before reaching its target.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

You're missing his point SeaFox...

We know how the 120 is "supposed" to work. He was talking about how it can be used currently with the surprise 120 on the 18 RIGHT NOW. Not IRL. Not the 15.

How to use the missile RIGHT NOW on the 18.

Read his post again before you respond ;). Thanks.

Sorry then. How to use 120 right now seems quite simple. As no additional radar & hud support was released, you use it as Sparrow. It has only advantage in additional range and in fact, that the missile might not be lost when your radar lock is broken. Thus you have advantage when you need to go defensive, the missile can still hit the target. Maybe. Fingers crossed.

If you want test from how far the missile can hit the target alone, I said it in my previous post. It will differ each shot - there is no general answer. If I recall correctly, there is TTI (time to impact) indicator on HUD. It could help you at least make a guess.

Earlier today on my first testings I've had an aim-120 hit a mig-23 on a 18nm head on shot, roughly 25k feet head on, the mig did manouver but quite late on a descent turn (it was guiding a semi-active at me before, hence the manouver delay, he had balls)

the missile reached him at pretty low energy but was still doing about 600 knots and was able to hit and kill the mig, thats the longest shot i had so far (the rmax cue was at roughly 20nm)

I'll try to find the track and post it

Win10 64, MSI Krait Gaming Z370, I7 8700K, Geforce 1080Ti FTW3 ,32 GB Ram, Samsung 980 EVO SSD

Modules: Combind Arms, A-10C, F-86F, F/A-18, F-16, Flaming Cliffs, KA-50, L-39, P-51, UH-1, Christen Eagle II, Persian Gulf

I was able to load too, but didn't try them.

I'm disappointed at the slow pace of the latest updates and some weeks with no updates.

Wags did mention that because its summer time and most of the team is on summer leave the work is going a bit slow. In his latest video.

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

Wags did mention that because its summer time and most of the team is on summer leave the work is going a bit slow. In his latest video.

Watch carefully this summer, the guy next to you at the beach could be an ED developer...

If that's the case, seize him and obtain valuable information ... ;p

Captura.JPG.d4cb7dd5387634e9e9fcac3ec3581957.JPG

It is all classified and we get good guess work, so keep calm and carry on :)

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't know if its technically a bug, but its been something that I picked up on a long time ago in the F-15 with 120s. It happens specifically if you are accelerating while launching. If you space subsequent launches out 4-6 secs (or slow down), it mitigates this behavior. You're basically giving the next missile a boost to overtake the first, while taking a near equal flight profile.

Am not sure too, anyway looks like that this problem is in active homing phase.

> DCS Community cries for 2 months can't use AIM-7, demand AIM-120.

> ED gives them the AIM-120.

> Community immediately cries about not having a pitbull countdown and shooting friendlies down because following ROE is difficult.

Oh you guys... Please, never change. :D

It's unreal m8. At this point the Forums and Hoggit might as well be called Whine and Complain. This community cumulatively acts like a 13 year old girl...

It's unreal m8. At this point the Forums and Hoggit might as well be called Whine and Complain. This community cumulatively acts like a 13 year old girl...

The worse is that the silent majority is pretty happy with every update we get even as it got from weekly to every two weeks. They explained why ( on Fb I think) and it make total sense.

In 12 years on LOMAC/FC1.12/2/3 then dcs I’ve never seen a module being this consistently updated, even the A10C while it was the flagship.

If you want an example of what a bad follow up on module is, try the M2000c which wasn’t capable of refueling its external fuel tanks from January 2018 until last month. Thanks razbam.

Bottom line is, we get new stuff when it’s ready and should expect bugs at every turn. That’s is the exact point of an Open beta.

There is more than enough to train and practice on a daily basis as it is.

Edited by RomaniaK

The worse is that the silent majority is pretty happy with every update we get even as it got from weekly to every two weeks. They explained why ( on Fb I think) and it make total sense.

In 12 years on LOMAC/FC1.12/2/3 then dcs I’ve never seen a module being this consistently updated, even the A10C while it was the flagship.

If you want an example of what a bad follow up on module is, try the M2000c which wasn’t capable of refueling its external fuel tanks from January 2018 until last month. Thanks razbam.

Bottom line is, we get new stuff when it’s ready and should expect bugs at every turn. That’s is the exact point of an Open beta.

There is more than enough to train and practice on a daily basis as it is.

Nicely put. Also, the people who are mature enough to enjoy what's going on and not complain about expected issues during development are likely also, wisely, too smart to bother engaging much of the whining with dialog. As such, a lot of the less valid complaints go "unchecked" and it can appear as though more of us are unhappy than are actually so. The rest of us are usually too busy playing around with DCS than complaining about WIP's or engaging in fruitless dialog.

I mean, a pitbull counter will be great. In the meantime I'm just gonna enjoy seeing what the 120B can do from the Hornet, or practicing my carrier technique. The rest will come in due time. In the meantime, there's plenty of meat in the existing F-18 module to digest and learn to keep most of us busy for a long time.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

It is all classified and we get good guess work, so keep calm and carry on :)

I don't think that I care too much if classified or not. The whole AIM-120B and C is modeled into F4 BMS database. If the data was available at the time we code them in F4, the data must be around even if you might have to contact the BMS team for accurate data.

Happy to see the AIM-120 around. Finally a worth AIM-7 replacement!

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S

I don't think that I care too much if classified or not. The whole AIM-120B and C is modeled into F4 BMS database. If the data was available at the time we code them in F4, the data must be around even if you might have to contact the BMS team for accurate data.

Happy to see the AIM-120 around. Finally a worth AIM-7 replacement!

hms and aim 9x is going be fun to test

CPU: Intel I7 7700k /Ram:32gb_ddr4

GFX: Nvidia Asus 1080 8Gb

Mon: Asus vg2448qe 24"

Disk: SSD

Stick: TM Warthog #1400/Saitek pro pedals/TIR5/TM MFDs

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Don't for a moment believe that F4 is bereft of guesses, educated or otherwise.

And this is exactly why you don't use one game as a realism basis for another.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda