Simple Training Mission

I'm not familiar with the mission editor. I'm learning the 109 and I'm looking for a mission where I can fly against an easy target. I've tried the 1v1 against the P51 but I seem to have no chance against the AI with my level of experience. If anyone has created or can point me to some good training missions for a novice that would be appreciated.

Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700k@4.2GHz, MSI 1080Ti , 16 GB, 500GB SSD, LG 34UM95, Acer T232HL, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

I would say rtfm but I'll refrain.. please check the manual first: http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/223750/manuals/DCS%20User%20Manual%20EN.pdf?t=1436637705

Found it with a simple google search..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

For basic gunnery practice, the Instant "Interception" mission has a C130 flying around, doesn't it?

As for the Mustangs, You can always locate and open that P-51 mission in the editor, click on enemy unit and set the skill level lower (tabs on the right), save it and play it.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

I would say don't RTFM. It wont help you at all as far as learning to fly or fight in the 109. As far as something easy it doesn't get much easier than the AI Mustang in DCS for dogfighting. There isn't much in the way of missions or books that will help here either. I've heard In Pursuit is good for learning the basics but I've never read it myself so I can't say for sure. There is also a single mission called 1v1 which starts in a head on as opposed to the weird setup in the instant action mission.

http://www.virtualpilots.fi/feature/lento_ohjeet/inpursuit/inpursuit.pdf

TBH the best way to learn is just to keep trying and sooner or later you'll do something right. Then just remember what it was and keep doing it. Obviously it helps to have someone who knows what their doing teach you.

To start with focus on keeping the ball in the middle with the rudder and never pulling too hard on the stick. Smooth clean flying is key to maintaining energy. Get used to how the aircraft feels in a hard turn, how far you are allowed to pull the stick before you get into buffetting etc. One stripe of flaps usually helps against Mustangs as well.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I'm not familiar with the mission editor. I'm learning the 109 and I'm looking for a mission where I can fly against an easy target. I've tried the 1v1 against the P51 but I seem to have no chance against the AI with my level of experience. If anyone has created or can point me to some good training missions for a novice that would be appreciated.

Hi,

When I started with DCS I also found the Mission Editor quite hard to use, mostly because of its unfamiliar GUI, but believe me, its worth learning to use it ... while creating a realistic mission can be quite hard, a training scenario is much easier.

Here is a mission, where you can practice your aiming and gunnery skills against simulated bombers (actually C-130 ... while its possible to install a Mod of the B-17, I didnt want to further complicate matters to you):

Cheers!

Bf-109K4 - Air-Air Training (by Rudel-chw).miz

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I'm sure by RTFM amazingme referred to general game manual (well... he actually linked to it), rather than 109 manual, with intention of learning something about Mission Editor itself. Its user interface is somewhat messed up indeed, but it doesn't take long to learn just the very basic stuff, like placing and setting up AI planes and units. There are also a couple of youtube tutorials available on the subject (even better than simple manual, actually).

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Aha ok. Yes that might help. IDK what the ai is set to in the standard missions but the 1v1 setup in the Single missions is probably about the same as any mission you'll get anywhere else.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

All the responses are great! Thanks for the help, I've got plenty of stuff to chew on, cheers.

Win 10 64-bit, Intel Core i7-7700k@4.2GHz, MSI 1080Ti , 16 GB, 500GB SSD, LG 34UM95, Acer T232HL, TrackIR 5 Pro, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently also purchased the bf109k and I don't know if Im getting better at the WWII birds or something, but I manged to defeat the AI Mustang on my first (and only) try.

I did have the labels turned on though, so Ill have to try it without labels. I fly mostly online, and I have to say that I have more problems with keeping visual on targets than I do actually flying the damn planes.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

I did have the labels turned on though, so Ill have to try it without labels. I fly mostly online, and I have to say that I have more problems with keeping visual on targets than I do actually flying the damn planes.

That's the one problem we all share.. don't worry :)

What might actually help with the spotting is setting AA to 2x and Anisotropic Filtering to 2x, I also set trees to minimum range.. Doesn't look too pretty but it's a fair compromise.

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

Oh man, Im loath to lower Anisotropic Filtering so low, it makes the game really flat looking. All the shinyness goes, not sure how that will help me see better.

As for the AA and trees, will try that.

Current specs: Windows 10 Home 64bit, i5-9600K @ 3.7 Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 1TB Samsung EVO 860 M.2 SSD, GAINWARD RTX2060 6GB, Oculus Rift S, MS FFB2 Sidewinder + Warthog Throttle Quadrant, Saitek Pro rudder pedals.

• 6 months later...