Notices

View Poll Results: Kurfurst or Dora
Bf 109 K-4 53 51.46%
Fw 190 D-9 50 48.54%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2015, 02:59 PM   #1
Krupi

Reputation power: 9
Krupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the rough
Default Bf 109 K-4 vs Fw 190 D-9

Hey chaps, I am intrigued by what the general consensus is now that the 109 and 190 have been out for a while.

I haven't had enough time in the 109 yet however from the little time I have had it certainly feels a lot more potent mainly due to the maneuverability and that insane cannon! However I feel much safer in the 190, it takes much more punishment and the extra ammo and fuel allows me to stay in the zone much longer (I really need to work on my aim though).

So do you prefer the 109 or 190?

P S. I don't want this to be a 'goad' thread so please give a good reason why which is your go to ride

Project IX Cockpit
Krupi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #2
rrohde
Veteran

Reputation power: 31
rrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of light

I find myself flying the 109 quite a bit more than the 190. To paraphrase Adolf Galland: The 109 "fits like a glove".

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.1GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB VRAM | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | Corsair LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM | 27" Acer Monitor (2560x1440) | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Oculus Rift CV1

Old 10-13-2015, 03:19 PM   #3
Ala13_ManOWar

Reputation power: 13
Ala13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really niceAla13_ManOWar is just really nice

Personally I think with the actual planeset both are winners in the usual dogfights and conditions. 190 has more endurance, I'm not sure about that but I don't feel fully comfortable with 100% fuel load, the "real" 190 only arises when aft fuel tank is empty (as it should be) so you lose your endurance if you want the best combat conditions. 109 of course is penalised by a 100% fuel load but not so hugely IMO and not in a so accused CoG change, so while 190 has more endurance I would take a 109 for a long run.

In the short run, aft tank emptied 190, and similar conditions 109 may be I like the low level speed of 190. But you can also out run and specially out climb a P-51 easily with the 109. In the end I guess it's a likes question, what you like more, but them both are winners in the actual battlefield. I wouldn't know what to choose if I had to keep only one.

S!
Old 10-13-2015, 03:22 PM   #4
void

Reputation power: 0
void is an unknown quantity at this point

For the reasons you gaved above, those planes are too different and too good in what they built for, to pick one. It depends with my mood which one I use. I`ll fly the 190 for a boom'n'zoom, but when I want dogfight action I`d go for the 109. Both, for me.

Last edited by void; 10-13-2015 at 03:29 PM.
void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:30 PM   #5
Krupi

Krupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the roughKrupi is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrohde View Post
I find myself flying the 109 quite a bit more than the 190. To paraphrase Adolf Galland: The 109 "fits like a glove".
My understanding was that Galland voiced his opinion that the 109 manufacturing should be ceased and replaced with the 190 and Me 262!

Project IX Cockpit

Last edited by Krupi; 10-13-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:34 PM   #6
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Reputation power: 100
SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold

I'm not sure I can explain this well, but the 190 feels like a modern muscle car with fancy gizmos and such, and the 109 feels like a beefy 1969 Camaro, the 109 to me just feels like a high performance weapon, little comforts and such. I told Yo-Yo a while back that I am not sure now that my favorite aircraft, the Spitfire, is going to pull me out of the cockpit of the 109.

SiThSpAwN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #7
JST

Reputation power: 5
JST will become famous soon enoughJST will become famous soon enough

I made this exact same thread in December and my opinion has barely changed since.

Dora. Always.

And it simply comes down to one word; ergonomics.

Incredible visibility, easy and enjoyable to use, very forgiving and smooth in flight (Especially with rudder), well armed (Although doesn't matter in DCS currently) and she even looks much better.

She is just superior.
Old 10-13-2015, 03:44 PM   #8
Krupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
I'm not sure I can explain this well, but the 190 feels like a modern muscle car with fancy gizmos and such, and the 109 feels like a beefy 1969 Camaro, the 109 to me just feels like a high performance weapon, little comforts and such. I told Yo-Yo a while back that I am not sure now that my favorite aircraft, the Spitfire, is going to pull me out of the cockpit of the 109.
I feel exactly the same thing the 190 always reminds me of a muscle car!

There is a certain feeling you get when you are in the 109 a feeling of invincibility!

I am heavily biased towards the 190 however I can't stop looking at the 109 it really is a beauty...

Project IX Cockpit
Old 10-13-2015, 03:46 PM   #9
Krupi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JST View Post
I made this exact same thread in December and my opinion has barely changed since.

Dora. Always.

And it simply comes down to one word; ergonomics.

Incredible visibility, easy and enjoyable to use, very forgiving and smooth in flight (Especially with rudder), well armed (Although doesn't matter in DCS currently) and she even looks much better.

She is just superior.
At the moment I will always jump in the 190 it is a fascinating aircraft however I really need to learn how to use the gunsight properly if only we had the D-13

Project IX Cockpit
Old 10-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
rrohde
Veteran

Reputation power: 31
rrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of lightrrohde is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krupi View Post
My understanding was that Galland voiced his opinion that the 109 manufacturing should be ceased and replaced with the 190 and Me 262!
According to "The First and the Last", and "The German Aces Speak", that sentiment came later in the war, after the American day-time raids with P-51 support became so prominent.

PC: Intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz @ 5.1GHz | MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB VRAM | ASUS Maximus IX Hero | Corsair LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM | 27" Acer Monitor (2560x1440) | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit | Oculus Rift CV1