DCS used by Real World F-18 pilot Carrier Ops Instructional vid

JIMJAM

Thanks for posting!

I agree with everyone, these are the most instructive videos and they SHOULD be at least in a sticky and perhaps ask him to do the official training stuff!!! It is great to see him explain on paper just like my flight instructor used to do all the time... reminded me so much of this (just very humble general aviation... but the principle of visualising is the same!!)

There are too many people here on this great forum who perhaps speak like if they knew everything... and there is nothing like the real knowledge gained from real life experience...

Very precious!! better than the manual!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

In DCS I fly jets with thousands of pounds of thrust...

In real life I fly a humble Cessna Hawx XP II with 210 HP :D

Funny that the one of the best F-18 videos for DCS is on a channel usually reserved for Star Citizen. I've been watching Jarus' journey into DCS with some interest. I don't watch much youtube but his stuff is usually worth a view.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

please, DEVS, make this a sticky

perhaps together with A.E. W. videos

We need to find the real REAL instructional stuff in one place

!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

YES! Sticky real Hornet pilots' instructional videos please mods! Maybe someone should make a new thread with links to all their videos/pages to make it as sticky so the mods don't have to sticky multiple threads for this.

Edited by SCU

HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog

PC: it's much better now

Currently watching A.E.W's videos on landing technique. Also absolutely essential watching :thumbup:

His channel is here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNvV27UZkI8W-jvMA-iGqyQ

System Spec: Cooler Master Cosmos C700P Black Edition case. | AMD 5950X CPU | MSI RTX-3090 GPU | 32GB HyperX Predator PC4000 RAM | | TM Warthog stick & throttle | TrackIR 5 | Samsung 980 Pro NVMe 4 SSD 1TB (boot) | Samsung 870 QVO SSD 4TB (games) | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

Personal wish list: DCS: Su-27SM & DCS: Avro Vulcan.

As requested by some of you, I have made a new thread with all the Youtube videos embedded: the ones from Lex Talionis and the ones from A.E. W. hoping the devs will make it a sticky.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213934

I dont know, I have the funny impression that all that procedural stuff that I personally love (especially being a pilot myself, it really speaks to me very much!) might be a bit too much detailed and strict for many casual gamers and in the end, this gold mine will get lost in the very numerous threads about this and that... too bad!

JEFX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"I dont know, I have the funny impression that all that procedural stuff that I personally love (especially being a pilot myself, it really speaks to me very much!) might be a bit too much detailed and strict for many casual gamers and in the end, this gold mine will get lost in the very numerous threads about this and that... too bad!

Many casual simmers start that way but end up with enough addons to buy a small car and a Warthog HOTAS setup or even cockpits. I was trained by mil instructors and have been RTB for not maintaining taxi centerline. I recall control checks were done in as few turns of the head as possible. When tuning any knob you took the shortest direction to get to that number. Training was basically done via a firehose. My last aviation position was for the State of SC Aeronautics Commission and while I have been simming since Microprose F-117 and decades later enjoyed doing "Cold and darks" with a PMDG 747, now I am just the opposite. All the DCS modules I start running, don't use ATC and only thumb through a PDF if I must.

For me sims are now a escape from reality. Flying without a dozen people looking over your shoulder from planning to the ramp and even once you clear the fence "black" boxes have everything you did so there is no hiding anything.

What the vids do is provide the basic info to build a good foundation. It's doing the same thing over and over and over the same way each and every time. Then and only then you introduce "doing that pilot sh*t" to achieve a desired result. With the cost of printer ink being so high I would LOVE for someone offer laminated checklist "hint hint". That should be the very 1st thing a budding by the book simmer should obtain and use every flight. As for me I throw on the VR and see what happens when I move something hahahaha....

Edited by JIMJAM

@JIMJAM: I can see your point very well. It always depends where we are arriving from... For example, I am a professionnal musician, and I would never want to do scales and arpeggios in a sim.. ;) Especially that the military training is deisgned the hard way... ( I guess for efficiency reasons over stressful events).

But still, in a this Sim world there are always hundreds of guys asking questions or looking for answers (including me) and hundreds of other guys giving answers, many of them (often very modest) are incredibly knowledgeable... But... too often, people give answers based on their (limited to the sim world), experience and it is VERY hard to filter out what is REAL info or what is suppositions or assumptions made by people who have never flown an aircraft at all...

That is why I feel that the mods should Sticky that thread I made with all those videos of Talionis and A.E. W. to make it clear that they are from real F-18 pilots... here

Anyways, I agree 100% with you about the checklists, they should be in the manual!!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"I dont know, I have the funny impression that all that procedural stuff that I personally love (especially being a pilot myself, it really speaks to me very much!) might be a bit too much detailed and strict for many casual gamers and in the end, this gold mine will get lost in the very numerous threads about this and that... too bad!

Many casual simmers start that way but end up with enough addons to buy a small car and a Warthog HOTAS setup or even cockpits. I was trained by mil instructors and have been RTB for not maintaining taxi centerline. I recall control checks were done in as few turns of the head as possible. When tuning any knob you took the shortest direction to get to that number. Training was basically done via a firehose. My last aviation position was for the State of SC Aeronautics Commission and while I have been simming since Microprose F-117 and decades later enjoyed doing "Cold and darks" with a PMDG 747, now I am just the opposite. All the DCS modules I start running, don't use ATC and only thumb through a PDF if I must.

For me sims are now a escape from reality. Flying without a dozen people looking over your shoulder from planning to the ramp and even once you clear the fence "black" boxes have everything you did so there is no hiding anything.

What the vids do is provide the basic info to build a good foundation. It's doing the same thing over and over and over the same way each and every time. Then and only then you introduce "doing that pilot sh*t" to achieve a desired result. With the cost of printer ink being so high I would LOVE for someone offer laminated checklist "hint hint". That should be the very 1st thing a budding by the book simmer should obtain and use every flight. As for me I throw on the VR and see what happens when I move something hahahaha....

I'm somewhere in between. I don't use ATC because it seems a bit "formulaic" Makes sense as it's all scripted. I recall back in the days when TRACON (anyone remember that game?) users would guide MS Flight Sim users across vast distances. I remember thinking "what the hell is wrong with these people"

On the other hand, the passion to get as many switches as possible sent me down the path of building CNCs (MPCNC in my case) and cutting acrylic and wiring up Arduino/Leo's/DSD boards.

But I too, just throw on my Rift and go for touch and go's. I really do get a kick out of "flying" thanks to VR. However, it is fascinating watching the above mentioned videos.

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1