Love the Black shark but is it worth getting the Gazzel?

Wolf8312

Roles are quite the same which would be the main issue for willing to get both, but fighting styles are very different. The Gazelle is more social (multicrew, needs to fight in packs) while the Ka-50 is more lone-wolf, Rambo style. FLIR and RWR in the Gazelle may also fill a gap.

So I'd say I you like the Ka-50, the Gazelle would be satisfying too. Beside most of the basic aspects, everything else is different enough.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Was just wondering if the Gazzel is different and unique enough a module to buy if I already have the Ka-50, or will I find it to fly and feel very similar to the shark. Just wondering how the Gazzel differs? Many thanks...

The Gazelle was designed as a light transport, scouting and light attack helicopter, with a crew of two.

The Ka-50 was designed as a single seat attack helicopter.

So two entirely different roles. I think if you keep to the intended roles, both are excellent simulations. :smilewink:

The Ka-50, with wingman/flight, is an impressive weapons platform and able to take a considerable amount of damage and get you home. Systems redundancies and even an ejector seat tell you what its about!:)

Although, that said, the Ka-50's data link makes it a useful scout helicopter! Navigation around the DCS map is well implemented, with moving map and waypoint update available via "fixes" (Viggen anybody!).

Since we fly alone in DCS, (unless using a shared cockpit model) the workload is going to be high in a helicopter designed for two crew. (Probably why an Apache sim has not been attempted). The Ka-50 is perhaps the most accurate simulation for us DCS simmers, fulfilling the single seat attack role. The Russian design for a single seat attack helicopter was very bold and I understand subsequent decisions not to continue with its development are perhaps linked to the extremely high workload experienced by the pilots. Not to mention the development of the Ka-52, which as a two seat attack derivative, followed the US example of a weapons position in addition to the pilot.

So horses for courses, a personal choice.

One thing that's worth a mention is that if you own an Occulus Rift, the sensation of "being there" is greatest in a helicopter.;)

Happy simming.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]i7 Haswell @ 4.6Ghz, Z97p, GTX1080, 32GB DDR3, x3SSD, Win7/64, professional. 32" BenQ, TIR 5, Saitek x55 HOTAS.

Search User Files for "herky" for my uploaded missions. My flight sim videos on You Tube. https://www.youtube.com/user/David Herky

Well the Vive actually but yes of all the modules in VR nothing is quite like the Black Shark!

I think this is because you are closer to the ground so it feels faster but also because you have such great control over the aircraft and its very instantly gratifying. If you fly past a target all you have to do is swivel round and you're back on him again. In VR you really get an instictive feeling for how to fly on a more intuitive level, all of the neck craning frustration of Track IR is alleviated and with a good HOTAS system with rudder pedals you actually feel like a black shark attack helicopter. Its like being a god damned flying terminator!

Flying through vegas swinging in and out, up and around skyscrapers is as fun as combat missions are to be honest you cant help crying out in excitment at times, or laughing gleefully/crazily at near misses or horrendously foolish but epic mistakes. You hit the eject moments before exploding and float down to earth with a big smile on your face! Yup this game was created for VR and even for just DCS alone its worth every penny!

Think maybe an old world war 2 fighter (spitfire) might also be amazing in terms of fun and excitement but just wondering if the spitfire (or any of the WW2 planes) is ready yet and if there are real combat missions designed for it? VR is a big part of why I made this thread to be honest as I wanted something nimble and aggressive!

Edited by Wolf8312

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Don't forget that with the Gazelle, you have true 2 crew functionality already with either LAN or multiplayer co-operation.

I have a feeling multi-crew aircraft will be very functional using this facility.

So yes, the Gazelle is very different to the Ka-50, and certainly an entirely different experience.

Think maybe an old world war 2 fighter (spitfire) might also be amazing in terms of fun and excitement but just wondering if the spitfire (or any of the WW2 planes) is ready yet and if there are real combat missions designed for it? VR is a big part of why I made this thread to be honest as I wanted something nimble and aggressive!

The Spit is a lot of fun in VR as well. Not much combat missions yet, currently only a couple in the Caucasus Map along with an instant action dogfight. Nothing in Nevada.

I would think we would get more missions with the Normandy Map along with a campaign perhaps, and it sounds like the map is getting fairly close to release.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Yes, the MiG-28

I'm sorry Mig 28? Have you got a link for that cause I've never heard of it and cannot find it anywhere! If you mean the mig21 I already have that module and like it very much!

------------

3080Ti, i5- 13600k 32GB  VIVE index, VKB peddals, HOTAS VPC MONGOOSE, WARTHOG throttle, BKicker,

Its like being a god damned flying terminator!

Well, Gazelle combat style is more like a hide and seek game than playing terminator. To fire HOT missiles you have to stop and switch control to other crewmember. If you play multiplayer with shared cockpit then the other guy can do some aiming as you fly, but better keep that machine steady and pointed in the right direction for the whole time.

Rockets and guns allow you to get close and personal, but better hope that the target does not shoot back. You don't have any armor and you have to get close to reliably aim using fixed gunsight.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Well, Gazelle combat style is more like a hide and seek game than playing terminator. To fire HOT missiles you have to stop and switch control to other crewmember. If you play multiplayer with shared cockpit then the other guy can do some aiming as you fly, but better keep that machine steady and pointed in the right direction for the whole time.

Rockets and guns allow you to get close and personal, but better hope that the target does not shoot back. You don't have any armor and you have to get close to reliably aim using fixed gunsight.

Do they compensate by creating missions against softer targets and easier missions than the black shark?

------------

I'm sorry Mig 28? Have you got a link for that cause I've never heard of it and cannot find it anywhere! If you mean the mig21 I already have that module and like it very much!

I was just kidding ;)

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

Ha well after all was said and done I went with the MI8, which I couldnt resist at half price. To be honest It was last on my wish list of all the chopper modules but I havent even downloaded it yet and its already growing on me! I think if I took one thing from this thread its that if its a DCS module you pretty much cant go wrong!

------------

I think if I took one thing from this thread its that if its a DCS module you pretty much cant go wrong!

Yup. :thumbup:

Don't worry my joke is a total failure anyway

I would have LOL'd pretty hard if the F-5 was actually on sale at that time. Good joke, bad timing. ;)

Am actually loving the Mi-8 and how it feels. Havent had time to learn how to fly it yet but have attempted a few landing and its really made me realize not to approach modules with preconceptions. The main thing that repelled me about the MI8 was the word 'transport' but now I realize the hugeness of the beast makes it fun and it has a whole new feel in comparison to the blackshark which makes buying it seem alot more sensible! I may buy mostly during sales but in the end I will probably make up for it by buying basically every DCS module there is!

------------

The KA-50 is basically a tank turret that flys, and instead of a big cannon, it has laser guided missiles and a 30mm cannon on a swivel that follows your head around..

with the ka-50 and auto-hover and auto-turn on, all you need to do is look at something, the entire helicopter will automatically point at the target, the gun will drop in elevation and skew to point directly where your looking, and your laser guided missiles will fire.

the gazelle on the other hand, while it has wire guided missiles (only 2) and a camera, other than auto-hover, you need to fully manually control everything...

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the gazelle on the other hand, while it has wire guided missiles (only 2) and a camera, other than auto-hover, you need to fully manually control everything, and it doesn't have a cannon...

That is not entirely true, the SA-342M version have 4 HOT3 SACLOS missile (not 2) and the SA-342L have a 20mm cannon and rockets.

When you buy the gazelle you buy 3 helicopters, the SA-342M (missiles), the SA-342L (canon and rockets), the SA-342 Mistral (A-A missiles).

PC said they were doing a version with a sniper team so it will be 4 aircraft for 1 module :thumbup:.

Edited by myHelljumper
  • Like 1

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA

That is not entirely true, the SA-342M version have 4 HOT SACLOS missile (not 2) and the SA-342L have a 20mm cannon and rockets.

When you buy the gazelle you buy 3 helicopters, the SA-342M (missiles), the SA-342L (canon and rockets), the SA-342 Mistral (A-A missiles).

PC said they were doing a version with a sniper team so it will be 4 aircraft for 1 module :thumbup:.

the KA-50 can't carry any a-a weapons, but it can carry 12 vikhr missiles, can also carry 2xKH-25ML long range missiles, it can carry conventional and cluster bombs, as well as 4 kinds of 80mm rockets, 122mm rockets, and dual 23mm gun pods, the built-in non-fixed, head tracking cannon also carrys HE and AP ammo, selectable by a switch in the cockpit.

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the KA-50 can't carry any a-a weapons, but it can carry 12 vikhr missiles, can also carry 2xKH-25ML long range missiles, it can carry conventional and cluster bombs, as well as 4 kinds of 80mm rockets, 122mm rockets, and dual 23mm gun pods, the built-in cannon also carrys HE and AP ammo, selectable by a switch in the cockpit.

I'm not denying that the KA-50 is (way) more capable than the Gaz, I'm just pointing that it can have 4 missiles or a canon and rockets.

Helljumper - M2000C Guru

Helljumper's Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3rTjezLUxPbWHvJJ3W2fA