Active duty

Kludo

I'll have to ask as Maholic doesn't ring a bell?

I guess he's referring to Firebase Maholic in Kandahar province. ;)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Roger. I've been coming here since 2008. Took this in 2011...

27467180691_a8b7ba436d.jpg

:thumbup: I am glad I only did one tour in Afghanistan, but did 3 in Iraq and a few some other places. Before 2001 our rotations down to Central and South America were a bit more enjoyable.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Active USAF Aerospace Propulsion (engine troop)

2002-2006 @ Ramstein

2006-2010 @ Pope

2010-Current @ Fairchild

Got an assignment to go back to Germany next year, this time to Spangdahlem.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

Royal Navy Submarine Service since 1986. Leaving this year for pastures new.

Asus Z390 Code XI, i9-9900K, RAM 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance @ 3200, RTX 2080 TI FE, TIR 5, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, HOTAS WH, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, HTC Vive Pro, Win 10 x64

• 2 weeks later...
Pope?

At Seymour for another couple weeks.

Skylake 6600K(4.5GHz) | EVGA GTX970 FTW | 16GB 2666 DDR4 Corsair Vengeance | MSI Z170A Krait | Windows 10 (64bit) | X52 Pro | TrackIR 5

Hawk T.1A | F-15C | F-86F | UH-1H | A-10C | P-51D | F-5E | M-2000C

USAF Pilot w/ T-6/T-38 Time

You may not see the point (and I may agree to an extent), but that's how it works and having a degree increases your pay, responsibility, and opens up options that would otherwise be closed to you (pilot being just a singular example.)

I didn't see the point in a degree either before I went in, got a good paying job, etc. (you may gather I joined quite late), and later fully regretted that decision. It's something that at age 18 may be hard to carefully consider, but an attempt needs to be made regardless. I thought I was going to be career USMC, but after 4 years of not seeing each other (ex-wife was Navy) we decided it'd be nice to see each other for more than a week at a time and got out. My Crohn's disease was also coming out of remmission as well and had I stayed there's a strong chance I would have ended up as a medical separation. Things change, even with the best of intentions and planning, as someone already said.

There are certainly jobs, and good jobs at that, that don't require a degree. And even some that say they do don't really (I held a couple IT jobs that supposedly required a degree before I had one).

And there are programs in the military that will pay for you to go to college so hoping to take advantage of one of those is potentially realistic. There are programs like MECEP when I was in. And at the them the Navy was looking to send people with some college to finish in order to commission them in the nurse corps. I nearly applied for that one after some proding as medicine is something of interest.

And I certainly don't advocate racking up huge amounts of debt without a plan to pay it off. Even before I had the G.I. Bill I managed to pay as I went with internship jobs, part time work, and applying for scholarships, though I admit that gets harder to do by the day with rising tuitions and both a stagnant job market and salaries.

I hardly think that's a decision to be fluffed off lightly though. If (s)he wants it later it's going to be all the much harder even with the government paying. Put it this way, do you think they offer such an incentive because most people who serve successfully take advantage of it?

I enlisted in the Army at 17 in 1989 and retired last year. I spent all my time in the infantry and then special operations. I also had a 4 year break in service. I finished school and flew for my first airline then. I'm now flying for my second airline.

On average, even in the infantry, over half the soldiers had degrees. There are pro's and cons to being an officer and it really depends on what it is you want to do in the military. On the combat arms side being an officer can suck. You'll get your line experience as a young LT and maybe as a company commander. After that it's staff duty and boring as hell. You can't just give a blanket statement for all branches and jobs and say go in as an officer because in the end, it really does matter, what it is you're looking to do, in the military.

As far as people using the GI Bill, people not using it to go to school is more of the exception. I've rarely seen people not use it.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

I've been enlisted for nearly 10 years and got tired of only talking to the jets and wanted to fly them. I drained my Tuition Assistance for 2 consecutive Fiscal Years and took a lot of CLEPs and DSSTs to finish my associate's and bachelor's in just over a year. Pell Grant helped with the few classes that were more than my TA could cover.

Shortly after completing my degree and earning my PPL with an Instrument Rating, I applied for commissioning. I rolled the dice and applied "pilot-only", but fortunately they thought I had what it takes and accepted me into training. I start Officer Training School on 7 July and report directly to pilot training in September.

There are pros and cons to prior-enlisted Os and out-of-college Os. I've seen really good leaders out of both pools and, conversely, I've seen really poor examples of prior-enlisted Os that were bad NCOs to begin with. You can't really paint with such a broad brush.

Skylake 6600K(4.5GHz) | EVGA GTX970 FTW | 16GB 2666 DDR4 Corsair Vengeance | MSI Z170A Krait | Windows 10 (64bit) | X52 Pro | TrackIR 5

Congrats. Any idea what you will select as your first 10 choices for aircraft? Not sure how they pick what you fly.

Midway through UPT it splits into two separate tracks: T-1 (tanker/transport) or T-38 (fighter/bomber). With T-1s you're stuck with tanker/transport, but with 38s the entire fleet is open.

Track selection as well as aircraft assignment is based off of needs of the AF and preference. You can have more preference based on your performance. So, the #1 guy/gal will have top preference, but ultimately, it is dependent on Big Blue's requirement.

If I end up tracking 38s, A-10 is my #1, then F-22, T-38 Agressor, F-15C, F-35, F-16, F-15E, B-1

If I track Tones: C-17 is #1, then AC-130 and whatever else as long it's manned.

• 7 months later...

Shipping out to Air Force BMT on April 25th. 1A231!

Come fly with me, lets fly, lets fly away! -Sinatra

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My Specs: Lenovo Y50 with GTX 860m (2GB), i7 4700HQ 2.4GHz, 8GB Ram. Corsair K70(MX Blues are awesome!), Benq GW2760HS monitor, Steelseries V3 Prism headset, TM Warthog Hotas, Sidewinder FFB2 W/ FLCS grip, CH Pro pedals, TrackIR5, KW-908 Jetseat

Shipping out to Air Force BMT on April 25th. 1A231!

Good luck, let us know where do you go for "Fundies" (basic mechanic course) It used to be at Sheppard AFB in Wichita falls Texas, 362nd TS.

To whom it may concern,

I am an idiot, unfortunately for the world, I have a internet connection and a fondness for beer....apologies for that.

Thank you for you patience.

Many people don't want the truth, they want constant reassurance that whatever misconception/fallacies they believe in are true..