How to use the gunsight

Jacks

No matter how many times I try, I struggle to score hits on enemy aircraft. How do you use the gunsight?

Do you give a target lead when in a turning or pitching pursuit?

System Specs: i7 8700k @ 5.0GHz (not delidded), ASRock Extreme4 Z370 MOBO, EVGA GTX 1080 SC 8GB, 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200MHz DDR4 RAM, Samsung Evo 240GB SSD, Samsung Evo 500GB SSD, 1TB HDD, Noctura NH-D15S Heat Sink, Acer VE278H 27" 1080p Monitor, Ocukus Rift CV1.

Controllers: TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster HOTAS X, Saitek Throttle Quadrant (with DIY removable collective mod), Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals.

Just trying to keep my number of takeoffs and landings equal!

It really differs from engagement to engagement.

-The Gyro Sight can computes the right lead angle from 200 - 800 yards, so you shouldn't have to lead for most engagements when using the Gyro reticle.

-When attacking different aircraft it will be most effective if you enter in the plane's wingspan. You can download this image for your kneeboard. To help you with the wingspans of various aircraft in DCS. I believe the wingspan dial is in feet.

-Once you have the wingspan set, you set the range dial until the diameter of the gyro sight coincides the wingspan of the enemy in front of you.

-At this point the sight will compute the correct lead angle after one second of track on the target. Assuming he is 200-800 yards away.

Some images that point out the dials I mention. Taken from the Official Manual

Hardware: Saitek X56, TrackIR, HP Reverb G2

1. It's always good to have both sights on, the computing one and the static one which gives you a circle, a few lines, and a boresight crosshair. Press "1" to cycle through them.

2. Make sure you have the wingspan set for the computing sight (dial on top of the gunsight box) I think the wingspan of both German fighters is around 30 feet.

3. Use the range dial (twist throttle) to make the computing sight the same size and the enemies wingspan. You then have to track the enemy for a second or so to make sure the sight is stable. If the sight isn't stable it means you probably aren't in a stable pursuit curve and you'll most likely miss.

Personally, I actually use the fixed sight mostly, since it's what I'm used to. I tend to get more consistent and natural results with the fixed sight as I'm not focused on the little moving sight.

S!, hope that helps!

Flare

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5

Yeah, the 1 second requirement is a long time in a dogfight. That is why I always use the boresight dot in conjunction with the gyro.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

I have a really stupid question, because I'm good at those :D, how do you set the wingspan quickly and accurately? I have a TM Warthog HOTAS joystick, with the wingspan setting configured to left-right motion of the gray thumb hat. Because the sight's wingspan dial moves so quickly, setting the wingspan to close to what I want is always a fidgety struggle; so much so, that I generally set it on the ground while the engine is warming up and I have time to fidget around with it. Since I set the distance with the same thumb hat (forward-rearward motion), in the heat of battle it can occur that I accidentally mis-adjust the wingspan. This is a real PITA in the middle of a fight.

Is there any way to slow the motion of the wingspan setting (slow the repeat of holding the thumb hat)?

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Is there any way to slow the motion of the wingspan setting (slow the repeat of holding the thumb hat)?

Have you tried putting some deadzone on the switch by going into the "Adjust Control" menu? I don't know if it will work but I would give it a try. Maybe also try setting the Curvature to a more smooth curve.

Hardware: Saitek X56, TrackIR, HP Reverb G2

I have a really stupid question, because I'm good at those , how do you set the wingspan quickly and accurately?

Wingspan, set it on the ground no need to touch it again.Its the range you need to adjust in flight or leave at a said distance and use it as a guide.

Yeah, the 1 second requirement is a long time in a dogfight. That is why I always use the boresight dot in conjunction with the gyro.

heya gav - can you expand? Not sure I ever heard of the 1 second issue.... are you saying the latency between two clients makes it worse? Have you ever noticed a difference vs. AI?

I dont think I ever had any problem with the gyro - i use it to get my tracers either on target or "darn close" ... then a simple pitch will usually walk them where i want them.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

I like to use both sights. I don't mess with the range on the gyro sight, I just use it to get an idea of the deflection. I'll focus on the fixed sight and know that the bullets will travel along a line between it and the gyro sight.

i5-4670K@4.5GHz / 16 GB RAM / SSD / GTX1080

Rift CV1 / G-seat / modded FFB HOTAS

• 1 month later...
I like to use both sights. I don't mess with the range on the gyro sight, I just use it to get an idea of the deflection. I'll focus on the fixed sight and know that the bullets will travel along a line between it and the gyro sight.

I get what you're saying but you're kind of giving bad info to people. First off, you should be setting the correct range and use the sight to engage at that range. That's where your guns are zeroed and will do the most damage. Secondly, if you're doing high deflection shots, high g shots or short range, the gun sight is going to be off as far as the gyro is concerned.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

This might be of some help

It's nitpicking, I know, but the Dora's wingspan is a little over 34' and the 109 is a little over 32.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

• 9 months later...
It really differs from engagement to engagement.

-The Gyro Sight can computes the right lead angle from 200 - 800 yards, so you shouldn't have to lead for most engagements when using the Gyro reticle.

-When attacking different aircraft it will be most effective if you enter in the plane's wingspan. You can download this image for your kneeboard. To help you with the wingspans of various aircraft in DCS. I believe the wingspan dial is in feet.

-Once you have the wingspan set, you set the range dial until the diameter of the gyro sight coincides the wingspan of the enemy in front of you.

-At this point the sight will compute the correct lead angle after one second of track on the target. Assuming he is 200-800 yards away.

Some images that point out the dials I mention. Taken from the Official Manual

When I try to change the distance on the range dial, it goes from a minimum of "9" to a maximum of "2400". It won't go any lower than 9, even though it dial shows numbers down to "2". BTW, if you think that 9 is really a 6, it isn't. If I assume the the 2400 is really 800 feet, then the 9 must be 300 feet.

So, my question is, how do I get the dial to go down to between 6 and 7, to get to that 200 feet? Or, a little above 8, to give me the 250 that I'm use to in Cliffs of Dover.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

When try to change the distance on the range dial, it goes from a minimum of "9" to a maximum of "2400". It won't go any lower than 9, even though it dial shows numbers down to "2". BTW, if you think that 9 is really a 6, it isn't. If I assume the the 2400 is really 800 feet, then the 9 must be 300 feet.

So, my question is, how do I get the dial to go down to between 6 and 7, to get to that 200 feet? Or, a little above 8, to give me the 250 that I'm use to in Cliffs of Dover.

You are definitely not used to 250ft of range. That is just 76m. You probably mean 250meters or yards right?

Not to mention that by changing the gunsight you do not change your convergence. So your effective range is still around 1000ft.

I myself set the gyro at 1000ft and 190's wing span. I know the 109 is smaller and that why I know when to shoot. And at close range it's just a bit of a reference.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

Also make sure that the Gyro switch is ON. I was flying Red Rover, Red Rover multiple times and wondering why the sight was so useless. Realized that the Gyro was OFF. Once I switched on, it became much more useful.

As other have said, I've found the most useful combination in dogfighting to be the fixed + plus the active gyro sight. Since the gyro takes 1-1.5 sec to stabilize, you can often fire somewhere between the cross and the floating gyro sight and be reasonably assured of hits.