VKB Gladiator Pro - Quick Review

isn't there any video review of this stick?

I'm not finding a video review, but here's a written review and the IP did a pretty good job with his first impressions/review.

http://nerdtechy.com/vkb-sim-gladiator-pro-joystick-review

CPU: i7 980x @ 4.2GHz RAM: 24gb Corsair Vengeance

MB: Gigabyte Sniper X58 w/onboard Soundblaster X-Fi

HD: SanDisk 480gb SSD OS: Win7 Pro 64bit

VIDEO CARD: EVGA GTX 980ti FTW

MONITOR: LG 34" Ultrawide 2560x1080

MP SERVER: ibuypower i7-4810MQ w/Win7 Home 64bit

GEAR: Saitek X-52 Pro; Combat Rudder Pedals; Throttle Quadrants. Thrustmaster MFD's, TrackIR 5 w/Pro Clip, Turtle Beach X-12 Headset

Nice review you found there - thank you.

Just keep in mind that this is for the older version, and the new Mk.II adds this to the Gladiator Pro:

- Quick Release Grip Mechanism (new for the Mk.II)

- Spring loaded, 3-pin electrical Connector (new for the Mk.II)

This makes it compatible with the Gunfighter's electrical connection, and thus future VKB grip offerings.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

This NerdTech review is just a "descriptive" review - that guy never put their hands on Gladiator's, make that "reviews" based on pictures from the Web, before Gladiator reach USA market, better focus in players reviews, like the OP. ;)

Player review: https://stormbirds.wordpress.com/2016/12/11/%EF%BB%BFreview-vkb-gladiator/

Edited by Sokol1_br

thanks for the link. but it looks like non pro version.

inside of the non pro version looks smilar my cobra m5. i am experiencing stiction problem with it. otherwise it is very smooth joystick.

it would be great a comparison review of both version of gladiators. becasue price difference is huge.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Well, it's simple when you look at he basics:

The Gladiator Mk.II is an entry-level stick, with a plastic centering mechanism that doesn't allow for custom grips (unless you purchase the upgrade kit which will be out some time later this year - but that's not the point here). Entry level here assumes that folks typically don't run with a super HOTAS setup, and typically might not own a decent set of pedals, thus the rudder is built into the stick via twist axis (contact less MaRS sensors, mind you - same for the roll and pitch axes; the built-in throttle uses a poti).

The Gladiator Pro Mk.II is made for customization and precision, by the means of an all-metal gimbal (also known from the Mamba Mk.III), with swappable cams (center detent vs soft-center), different springs with different stiffness, different grips (TM Warthog, of future VKB grips, such as the spacesim grip 'Kosmosima' and the soon to be announced 'Modern Jet' grip).

Both the Gladiator Pro and non-Pro share the same housing and the same buttons on the base (including the built-in throttle), and the same KG12 grip (swappable for the Pro), but that's about it. On the inside, they're vastly different animals - thus the price difference.

Edited by rrohde

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

As a Gladiator's owner and a Black Mamba's owner (with that very same gimbal up there), the difference is considerable.

About the metal gimbal:

One very important thing for me is that it's dead precise. No deadzone. (the default one is 0.3% for both axes). Each movement is the same every time, the metallic parts and the ball bearings exclude any perceptible variation. (more than 2 years in, and still 0.3% deadzone with zero issue)

And: you can customize the feeling.

I currently (mainly) fly fighter/attack jets (and the beautiful L-39) and if I tried the smooth centering for both axes for a few months, I'm happy to come back to my original configuration with a hard center for the roll axis and a smooth center for the pitch axis (using the average stiffness for both springs).

And don't forget the progressive resistance for the axes:

That means I know if I'm pulling too much Gs. It provides some very useful proprioceptive and tactile feedback.

And: swappable grips. Warthog, vintage KG-12, Cobra grip, future modern grip, etc.

Also, and very important: durability. Metal won't wear as fast as solid butter.

That being said, I'm very happy with my Gladiator and it feels smooth and precise. I use it for the WW2 airplanes and Elite Dangerous (twist grip!).

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

So, just to make things clear for a newbie. The warthog grip fits on this ? Also, will the weight of the metal warthog make the long version top heavy ?

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+

Thanks for the reply. I realise i was posting in the wrong thread:doh: I was thinking of the Gunfighter. Will wait a bit and see what the modern jet grip looks like before i order.

Intel Core i7­6700K, 32GB DDR4, 512GB PCIe SSD + 2TB HDD, GeForce GTX 1080 8GB, Pimax 5k+