is there a way to zoom with the mouse wheel with trackir?

steele6

Hi Guys,

I cant seem to find the control to be able to zoom with the mouse wheel when I am in a clickable cockpit when I have a track IR.

be advised that I only have a normal joystick, not a HOTAS, so i need to be able to bind my mouse wheel to the zoom function (load up a FC 3 cockpit, and use the mouse wheel to zoom in, you'll see what I mean)

does anyone know how?

THanks!

• 6 years later...

On the same subject, is it now somehow possible to zoom in/out with mouse wheel while in cockpit view and using full 6DOF TrackIR? I'd like to have a possibility to zoom scroll while the mouse cursor is not over scrollable knob or dial.

29 minutes ago, Jascha said:

On the same subject, is it now somehow possible to zoom in/out with mouse wheel while in cockpit view and using full 6DOF TrackIR? I'd like to have a possibility to zoom scroll while the mouse cursor is not over scrollable knob or dial.

Turn the cursor off then it should be doable.

Double click the mouse wheel button or press LAlt+C I believe.

Edited by razo+r

18 hours ago, razo+r said:

Turn the cursor off then it should be doable.

Double click the mouse wheel button or press LAlt+C I believe.

Thank you. Indeed, this is how it works.

If I may suggest something  - it would be great to have scroll wheel zoom working also with cursor enabled. Zoom enabled when the cursor is yellow (i.e. not hovering over interactive cockpit element), zoom disabled when the cursor is green (scroll used for input control). Of course it should be optional (toggle on/off in DCS settings).

3 hours ago, Jascha said:

Thank you. Indeed, this is how it works.

If I may suggest something  - it would be great to have scroll wheel zoom working also with cursor enabled. Zoom enabled when the cursor is yellow (i.e. not hovering over interactive cockpit element), zoom disabled when the cursor is green (scroll used for input control). Of course it should be optional (toggle on/off in DCS settings).

The trouble with that (some other sims do this) is that if you slip off the cockpit click zone while scrolling you inadvertently zoom in or out. It’s pretty aggravating.
It’s probably better in DCS to assign your zoom view to something else since you’ll want to use it in combat and grabbing for the mouse isn’t too easy when doing that. I’ve even had it assigned to the rudder pedal toe brake before (you can use a modifier for the actual brake) Works really well. 
In the other sim I assigned a mouse side button as a modifier to use the zoom. But I think you’ll want some button so as not to have both the zoom view and cockpit control at the same time. 

• Like 1

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

50 minutes ago, SharpeXB said:

The trouble with that (some other sims do this) is that if you slip off the cockpit click zone while scrolling you inadvertently zoom in or out. It’s pretty aggravating.
It’s probably better in DCS to assign your zoom view to something else since you’ll want to use it in combat and grabbing for the mouse isn’t too easy when doing that. I’ve even had it assigned to the rudder pedal toe brake before (you can use a modifier for the actual brake) Works really well. 
In the other sim I assigned a mouse side button as a modifier to use the zoom. But I think you’ll want some button so as not to have both the zoom view and cockpit control at the same time. 

You're absolutely right. I haven't thought of that. The cursor would have to snap to the interactive cockpit element to prevent that.

Toggling cursor on and off is ok but it's not very handy either. I'd prefer to have option to disable cursor as long as I hold e.g. mouse button 4 (the one on the side) while simultaneously using scroll for zooming view.

Right now I'm using Shift (slew push) + TMS UP/DOWN on TH Warthog. The slider would be handy for fluid zoom change but binding if to zoom often makes the view jiggle. It's like too sensitive and even when it's not touched it generates micro input.

4 hours ago, Jascha said:

The slider would be handy for fluid zoom change but binding if to zoom often makes the view jiggle. It's like too sensitive and even when it's not touched it generates micro input.

Have you tried reducing its range in the settings menu? The full zoom range is rather fish-eyed so setting a max of about 95d results in a more normal view plus it would reduce the sensitivity and perhaps the jiggles. 

i9-13900K @ 6.2GHz oc | ASUS ROG MAXIMUS Z790 HERO | 64GB DDR5 5600MHz | iCUE H150i Liquid CPU Cooler | 24GB GeForce RTX 4090 | Windows 11 Home | 2TB Samsung 980 PRO NVMe | Corsair RM1000x | LG 48GQ900-B 4K OLED Monitor | CH Fighterstick | Ch Pro Throttle | CH Pro Pedals | TrackIR 5

20 hours ago, SharpeXB said:

Have you tried reducing its range in the settings menu? The full zoom range is rather fish-eyed so setting a max of about 95d results in a more normal view plus it would reduce the sensitivity and perhaps the jiggles. 

You mean reducing the zoom range? I cannot find such option. Or do I have to edit some .lua file?

Here is the issue with the slider:

It's obviously hardware related, but I wonder if it's possible to solve it through settings. Dead-zone would have to be fluid (apply to the position where the slider movement stops, but that would be problematic too, as the slider input is still being registered even after slider is not being moved anymore).