How to take out war ships ?

FalconPlot16

??? 6 gbu 12 is not enough 6 agm 65h is not enough 1 gbu 10 is not enough 1150 brrrrt is not enough

Just keep hitting it. I've added the moskova to a mission and made it passive. Playing with a friend we counted around 13 GBU-12's and a bunch of mavericks are required to sink it, maybe more. I think it took two A-10's worth of GBU-10's.

Look for the secondary explosion, when you see that they sink.

Just keep hitting it. I've added the moskova to a mission and made it passive. Playing with a friend we counted around 13 GBU-12's and a bunch of mavericks are required to sink it, maybe more. I think it took two A-10's worth of GBU-10's.

Look for the secondary explosion, when you see that they sink.

its really worthless and waste of bombs and time we better wait anti ship missiles

its really worthless and waste of bombs and time we better wait anti ship missiles

Lol.

Did anyone of you saw a video I posted a link of?

If you think that 89 kg of tritonal is enough to sink a modern warship, well, ok.

WWII era ships usually sustained a hell lot more abuse and sailed back to port.

Even USS Stark managed to stay afloat after two Exocet hits. One is presumed that it had been a dud, but the other certainly detonated - 165 kg of explosives. And, although she suffered 37 of sailmen lost, which is totally regrettable, that great frigate managed to get to Bahrain, get repaired and return to NS Mayport on her own. My 2 cents. And homage to her crew.

Edited by Rabb

• 5 years later...

I was doing some research for a mission I'm writing and came across this post.

If any of you are still about what do you think now? It looks like 2 missiles should be enough, in real life anyway.

And also The Falklands war was not mentioned, but I think nearly all the ships sunk were hit by just 1 weapon, 

The other fighter, piloted by the flight commander, Captain Pablo Carballo, dropped one 1,000 lb (450 kg) dumb bomb on a frigate he found at Grantham Sound. He reported heavy anti-aircraft fire but returned safely.[14] The bomb exploded on the stern.[14] Carballo went on to attack Broadsword a few days later."

Edited by Andrew u.k.

Ship damage model in DCS is very lacking. IRL, it heavily depends on where the ship is hit. At the waterline, with the explosion causing fires inside and flooding that destabilizes the ship, even a single dud missile can sometimes be enough. Even then, ships very rarely sink outright, unless a torpedo explodes under them (then, they usually break in two and go down very quickly). Typically, like the Moskva and many ships in Falklands, they sink while being towed. Sometimes, if the weather is good, they do make it to port, like USS Stark, but any sea state in which you can tell where the sea ends and the sky begins is bad news for a ship with a hole at the waterline.

OTOH, hitting it on the top, like with a bomb, will cause destruction and likely a fire, but will leave the ship afloat more often than not. Unless the bomb makes it all the way to the bottom, which is rarely the case, the hole will be in the top, and it's difficult for water to pour in through there. In theory, you could reduce the ship to giant bathtub full of scrap, and it'll continue to float as long as there are no holes in it and the sea isn't too rough. In practice, a secondary explosion will usually take it out before then, but it might take a lot of bombs. Or, if you're either lucky or dropping LGBs, a single hit at just the right spot.

ASMs and F model Mavs hit at the waterline, causing flooding and fires inside the ship, while regular Mavs will hit the superstructure, likely destroying important systems and also causing a fire, but one that's far away from any munitions. Bombs will hit wherever you aim them, modern aircraft can set them up to hit at a specific angle, making it possible to target the waterline. WWII aircraft would try to bounce their bombs off water and into the ship's side, but you can't get that close to a modern warship without being shot to ribbons by CIWS. With a large bomb (particularly a delay fuze), a near miss can be more deadly than a direct hit, because it'll cause cavitation and damage the hull below the waterline that way. Rockets will depend on approach angle, shallow runs will be more likely to score a waterline hit. Hydras likely wouldn't make a big enough hole to matter, but Zunis might. Gun runs wouldn't do a damn thing except maybe take out some exterior fittings and a few sailors. Even a hole right at the waterline from a GAU-8 run would be small enough to be easily plugged and wouldn't admit enough water to overwhelm the bilge pumps.

Again, none of this is currently represented in DCS. Ships are just giant lumps of hitpoints. Doesn't matter what hits them or where, just that their hitpoints get depleted.

Edited by Dragon1-1
  • Like 2