Proposing Mig 21-93 BISON

KewlerMouh

Good Day Gentleman!

You guys from Leatherneck did an absolutely great Job, I love this plane and fly it exclusively. So I thought, as next project, instead of a complete new aircraft, make a mod. I would be definitely interested in staying with a modernized 21 :). I guess the Bison is concerning data gathering,weapon systems and avionics easier to model than the Lancer.

Some of the Mig 21-93 features are

-Kopyo Radar, A-A and A-G capable

-can carry R27, R73, R77 (!), Kh-25, perhaps Kh-31A anti-ship missiles and KAB-500Kr bombs (most allready modelled in DCS)

-HUD

-one sexy MFD in the cockpit

-better sight out of the cockpit

-many more, so help me :)

Would give the FC3 Drivers a lot more headache as an opponent.

Tell me what you think and Leatherneck: Consider it!

CU2796.jpg

CU2796.jpg.html

>>

>

Edited by KewlerMouh

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me - better way - F-13 version or PF.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Sounds nice but not very promising. Don't Forget these great guys are still working hard on bug fixing.

Major problems

1. To get first hand facts about the Radar. Israel don't talk much about it's developments including the jammer of the Bison.

2. Modeling of AG radar. Could be possible for a third party but will take too much time I think. We should wait for ED with the F-18 since they will have to solve this problem as well. After that they will hopefully be so kind and share this technology with other developers.

3. You call it mod. If you would spend again 50 bucks I see no problem but how many people will do? I think beside the external model and some weapons they will have to go much of the way again. Cockpit, systems, sensors, balancing.

Just my opinion :music_whistling:

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not yet. How about we worry about getting *A* version of a different airframe, so it has something to fight with/ against, and *THEN* spend effort on niche models used by very few nations.

I'd be much more interested in an F-16, MiG29, Su27 (DCS-level, of course), F-4, Mirage, Gripen, Draken, MiG23, A-7, Buccaneer... heck, I'd rather see a Kfir or Cheetah, or even an OV-10 before another rendition of the MiG21.

Not "no", just "let's work on something else first, with broader appeal to people other than a tiny niche of MiG21 fans"

To each their own. I prefer early jets, up to the cold war era at most (1st to 3rd gen jets in general). As I said not long ago, I hope Leatherneck won't ever resort to "game balance" ways because of the other modules are able to do this or that (especially FC). If they ever decide to put LCD into their 21, I hope it will be completely optional, not affecting the original Bis version in any way (or completely standalone product). I like the raw beast, with issues being fixed on it as we fly, I really think it has a grand place in DCS as a hi-fi module even now (considering more of the quality modules set in the same era will be added in the future, I believe, making it even better in the long run).

In other words "fight FC3 with FC3", it seems like the same sport indeed, but completely different league.

Sent from my pComputer using Keyboard

I would also love both Bison and LanceR, I'd prefer Bison though.

Though, I am sure LN already has some plans, I'm just hoing this may one day be among them :).

Also @OP : I'm fairly sure Bison doesn't have an AESA type radar. As far as I know they have Kopyo, a smaller version of MiG-29's Zhuk-ME radar.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

How about making the -93 BISON a FC3 TYPE? PFM is already there ad cockpit is half finished. System modelling would be way easyer and would cost way less time. Then there will also be a reason to fly the BIS.

I know that the have soo much to do with the BIS but a man can dream right?

Death is just nature's way of telling you to watch your airspeed. :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't see any reason not to offer one of the modernized versions. I'm more concerned with a good opponent for our current MiG-21, but after that I don't see why not. Saying everyone would just go with the modern version isn't very realistic imho. Does everyone immediately hop into a Bf-109K and skip the Bf-109E in a WW2 sim? No, of course not. They both have their place. Do a 1970's or 1980's scenario and the MiG-21Bis is the one used. Do something 2000 onwards and the Bison, Lancer, -93, -97 or -2000 make more sense.

From a modeling standpoint, I'd like to see such a module fully developed. Having flown the MiG-21 here now, I have zero interest in continuing with FC level modeling.

For pricing, something a little different would be needed. I don't think it is reasonable to charge full price for both planes but cutting the price on one or both for all buyers isn't a good commercial move. I think the most appropriate option would be a discount system. Pay full price for one of them and get half off the other model if you buy it (including at a later date).

Both should, of course, be full price modules, though it would be neat to have discounts for owners of other variants, perhaps...

While it may be right that another 21 would cut sales of Bis, I'm sure a possible upgraded MiG-21 would be quite later down LN pipeline, and by then Bis would have sold it's share, and for niche who would prefer Bis only or Bis too, it would still be there. Therefore I do not think a Bison or LanceR would be commercially bad move, when you think they wouldn't be available at least 3-4 years from now if they will ever be.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Absolutely, would love to see this version become a reality.

Asus Z390 Code XI, i9-9900K, RAM 32 Gig Corsair Vengeance @ 3200, RTX 2080 TI FE, TIR 5, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB, HOTAS WH, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q, HTC Vive Pro, Win 10 x64

Thanks for this good discussion so far, this forum and community are great!

Sounds nice but not very promising. Don't Forget these great guys are still working hard on bug fixing.

Major problems

1. To get first hand facts about the Radar. Israel don't talk much about it's developments including the jammer of the Bison.

3. You call it mod. If you would spend again 50 bucks I see no problem but how many people will do? I think beside the external model and some weapons they will have to go much of the way again. Cockpit, systems, sensors, balancing.

Just my opinion :music_whistling:

@1: Guten Tag, FSKRipper!

As WinterH allreade mentioned, it is the Russian build Kopyo Radar:

The Kopyo is a family of multimode, steered array antenna radar systems for combat aircraft. These radars provide detection, target identification, tracking and attack capability against airborne - including hovering helicopters - and ground/surface targets as well as weather information. In the air-to-surface mode, the Kopyo radar provide mapping, moving target indicator, target range finding and multiple ground targets tracking. The Kopyo radar family has been selected for the Yak-130/133, upgraded Mig-21-93 and Su-25/Su-39 combat aircraft.

Kopyo-MiG-21-93.jpg

I thought on the first glance it an Active Electornically Scanned Array, my error. I will change the first post.

@3: I would pay full price for it and it should be definitely a own, second Mig21 module with all bell and whistles. As said, I love the Mig21 Airframe and will fly it for a long time. But I really like 4th Generation Jets, so having both would be just awesome.

One personally consideration is, I have in the meantime not the amount of freetime to get in to every DCS Module anymore. I have to pick carefully or delay it to retirement. So getting a 4th Generation Fighter based on a plane I allready know is also a motivition for me.

You guys made very valid comments. FC3 is not an option IMHO. It was great to make first steps in DCS, but after getting into the A10C, Ka50 and now the first DCS level fast mover, there is no going back. Just impossible.

We will see what Leatherneck heck out after this masterpiece.

Edited by KewlerMouh

Ah ok. I was also wrong. Thought it would be some kind of the Lancer upgrade. In this case it could be also difficult to get reliable information on the Kopyo. Most nationd seem to have problems with sharing data with flight sim enthusiasts :). Would also like to see a modern version but at the moment I'm more interested in what the puppet master will reveal as next aircraft.

What you said about time... I know it well, a job, a wife and a 14 month old son are very time consuming. Maybe DCS with a big amount of planes will be ready when my little wingmen get's a HOTAS for his 12th birthday :)

i9 9900K @ 5,0GHz | 1080GTX | 32GB RAM | 256GB, 512GB & 1TB Samsung SSDs | TIR5 w/ Track Clip | Virpil T-50 Stick with extension + Warthog Throttle | MFG Crosswind pedals | Gametrix 908 Jetseat

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 5 weeks later...

mig-21-2000

iai3.jpg

as for pricing, make it like the actual upgrades for the mig-21 in real life, you buy the mig-21bis, then pay for the upgrades?

Edited by Hadwell

My youtube channel Remember: the fun is in the fight, not the kill, so say NO! to the AIM-120.

System specs:ROG Maximus XI Hero, Intel I9 9900K, 32GB 3200MHz ram, EVGA 1080ti FTW3, Samsung 970 EVO 1TB NVME, 27" Samsung SA350 1080p, 27" BenQ GW2765HT 1440p, ASUS ROG PG278Q 1440p G-SYNC

Controls: Saitekt rudder pedals,Virpil MongoosT50 throttle, warBRD base, CM2 stick, TrackIR 5+pro clip, WMR VR headset.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]