Su-27 instruments functions (?)

Bourrinopathe

The most usual oxygen and cockpit pressure indicators are the ones depicted in the DCS Su-27 cockpit.

A oxygen pressure indicator to the left and a cockpit pressure indicator to the right, next to the EKRAN display. Take in count that this is a common configuration but other display could be seen as in the Su-27 SK manual, an export variant with modifications and different systems and equipment.

In the SK the pressure indicator combines cockpit pressure inside and the difference from outside with oxygen indicator.

Also the oxygen pressure indicator it's important not also for pilots breath mask but also for the G vest pressure system and the high alttitude suite pressure system because without pressure the G-vest can't work neither the mask oxygen flow or the high alttitude pressure vest.

Both mask, g-vest and and high pressure vest are connected to the air pressure system to the left of the ejection seat and must be tested prior take off.

The engines mode switch in DCS Su-27 it's flipped down to Combat Mode and can't be changed. The trainning-combat regime ensures a long engine lifespan and reduces the engines power only a fraction so the flight parameters are not very compromised.

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

Hi,

As I'm currently learning how to fly the Su-27, I became more curious about the instruments.

Some of them are not described in the manual, even if they are on the front console and then probably quite important.

I know it's not a DCS level simulation and I don't expect a high level of detail, but I was scratching my head, thinking about those little things under my nose.

And I finally found a few things. Like these little gauges I was wondering about:

jy5ddGj.jpg

(I annotated the image in green)

More specifically.

BRAKE SYSTEM ( LEFT - RIGHT ) PNEUMATIC SYSTEM ( AIR ) HYDRAULIC SYSTEM ( 1 - 2 )

The pneumatic system is integrated by two independent channels. One for the emergency landing gear system. The other provides pressure to open and close the canopy and sealing and also for the emergency open of the canopy.

Pressure is feeded by presurized Nitrogen at 185-200 kgf/cm2 stocked in a two litter bottle. Designed to 5 cycles of opening and closing before beeing refilled.

The Hydraulic system is designed for operate hydraulic units and actuators that required a great effort. It consists of the first ( 1 ) and second ( 2 ) hydraulic systems with a working pressure of 260-300 kg/cm2.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Thanks for all those very useful and instructive details!

For example, it's interesting to know the canopy has a limited capacity of actuations. It's a decent and very logical choice (saves space/weight/…) as the aircraft maintenance routine should be accomplished after each flight.

I'd be curious to know about the design choices for the occidental aircrafts canopy actuation - but that's not the topic :smilewink: (it would derail too much).

One thing is very wrong about the picture I linked: the brakes pressures are graduated from 0 to 20 with a x100 multiplier. 2000 kg/cm² (max) would be a tremendous pressure.

The multiplier should be x10:

CaRTgLL.jpg

The FC3 gauges are different and each of them go from 0 to 3 with a x100 multiplier.

There are some details you probably already know about the hydraulic system in the russian Su-27SK manual I linked. (although I didn't have the time to study it, yet)

I also noticed an error in the FC3 manual:

7IRKgdz.jpg

(interstage turbine temperature indicator)

The temp seems to be around 880°c and the small inner gauge shows something like 33°c.

It's not that important as it's pretty obvious but it may confuse some people at first.

Also, the afterburner is initiated above 720°c (it may help noticing the full military power limit for anyone who does not have a HOTAS w/ an afterburner detent).

One other thing bothers me: the FC3 tachometer goes up to 110%, but even on full afterburner, it barely reaches something like 101%. Is that a normal behavior?

Edited by Bourrinopathe

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

The engines in Combat mode and Full Afterburner are adjusted to 101.5%. In Training-Combat Mode 98.5%. So it´s normal.

The indicator shows more but it´s like your car. Mine shows 250 Km/h but only reachs 185 Km/h. XDDDD ¡¡¡

In training mode the engines are reduced 60º and 2.5% RPM in full throttle and AB. Also a protection system reduce RPM to iddle if engines at 85% RPM are over 650º.

At iddle on ground, N2 could differ from 59% to 74% with a temperature outside from -30º to +30º and the gas exhaust not exceeding 460º. In flight at iddle the normal RPM are never below 55%.

When outside temperature is below +15º, the engines EGT at full power and AB are less than when outside temperature is higher than +15º. For every 1% less of RPM the temperature decreased 20º.

It´s very curious that Original SU-27Sk manual shows the air intake "wedges" indicator as "PANEL" and not as KLIN like real cockpit pics. Maybe the export version is different in some names and this is one example.

MhtEwES.jpg

And it´s a mistake for sure. Thanks for spoting it. I don´t even noticed after two years of work. XDDD ¡¡

The Brake pressure indicators must read x10 and not x100 like the manual shows. It´s clear inside real cockpit pics.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi...

I'm newbie in FC3 and I like much Su-27.

And, by this thread I've got and idea to make an Su-27 English cockpit mod...

Thanks for the infos... :D

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Here's a nano-fix for the engines mode switch:

yMcMmsZ.jpg

How to use it?

1. Make a backup of the original cockpit archive (…\DCS World\Mods\aircrafts\Flaming Cliffs\Cockpit\Resources\Model\Textures\SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip)

2. Drop the .dds from the .rar attached to that post in the SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES.zip

That's it.

I didn't have the time to check if there's a better method to use the modified texture (like creating a folder somewhere), so if you have any suggestion that's great ;)

[EDIT]: I figured out how to use the file with JSGME.

Just create these folders in your _MODS folder: \(name your mod/fix)\Mods\aircrafts\Flaming Cliffs\Cockpit\Resources\Model\Textures\SU-27S-CPT-TEXTURES

And drop the .dds in that last folder. The texture will be used, and you won't have to worry about the patches.

I also tried to add the two screws (check the previous pics) but it wasn't satisfying. ED put some damn 3D screws in that plane :doh: And that's awesome. :thumbsup:

su27_cpt_panel03.tga.rar

Edited by Bourrinopathe
JSGME option ;)

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

I couldn't stand leaving that switch without its markings in that wonderful cockpit!

Glad you like it ;)

[EDIT]: wrong assumption because I can't click on the right test mission ;) My bad. (I thought the ECM light was not functional)

So, here's the SPO and ECM panel with the light that will inform us about the Sorbitsya pods:

bCbXqez.jpg

The functions for the SPO-15 control panel (on the left) are described in the Su-27SK manual from Esac_mirmidon.

Some details are also available for the ECM/Sorbitsya control panel (on the right) in the same manual.

For example: the ППС-ЗПС (PPS-ZPS) switch selects the front or the rear hemisphere for the Sorbitsya emission/jamming.

I assume the pilot has to change that depending on the situation, probably reducing the Flanker visibility from the opposite side (which is clever).

I've simply annotated the transliterations but I'm unsure about the translation.

помеха should stand for something like "hindrance", "obstruction" or something else, but the idea is clear (perturbing).

высок (VYSOK) on the light, may be translated by "high".

излуч (IZLUSH) may be the switch that actually triggers the Sorbitsya pods. I'm not sure about the translation but that could mean "radiation". Also, the same word is used when we switch the radar on (the radar has a dedicated light on the panel and the HUD displays "изл").

Edited by Bourrinopathe
superlight headed ;)

The ECM light already worked for a long time O.o

The "высок" Light startet to blink after u pressed the ECM Button and as soon as it was steady you knew ECM was running.

Oops! :doh:

Indeed that works perfectly. I should have missclicked the wrong custom mission (with the wrong loadout). My bad. Don't do tests when you're tired :)

I'll edit the post.

Blinking and then steady.

Thanks!

I've simply annotated the transliterations but I'm unsure about the translation.

помеха should stand for something like "hindrance", "obstruction" or something else

помеха - jamming. So, this is just the short name of panel - ECM control panel.

высок (VYSOK) on the light, may be translated by "high".
True, высок means high. Full term is высокое напряжение - high voltage. When it lighted:

1) self-control test is passed;

2) system is ready to work (to emission).

излуч (IZLUSH) may be the switch that actually triggers the Sorbitsya pods. I'm not sure about the translation but that could mean "radiation". Also, the same word is used when we switch the radar on (the radar has a dedicated light on the panel and the HUD displays "изл").
You are right again, излуч - излучение.

- излучение радара - radar emission (HUD indication);

- излучение помехи - jamming emission in ECM case (Su-27 ECM like any other fighter ECM is self-defence system, it does only response jammming, so when this switch is on, it will do that response jammming, when off, system only receive radar emission and analyzes it without jamming). It is analog button E (ECM on/off) in game.

Edited by volk
  • Like 2

Thanks a lot for the clarifications, volk!

It's way more interesting to have a better insight into the systems behind the function than just pressing the magic "jamming" button (for example).

Even if it's a simplified simulation (compared to DCS), knowing more adds to the pleasure "flying" that exceptional aircraft.

Edited by Bourrinopathe

Hi guys, quick question! Does anybody know about the constant beeping noise in the Su-27's cockpit? What does it mean and how do I turn it off? Thanks!

I guess you mean the RWR...the beeping tells you that you are spotted by a Radar. You can turn the Volume down with Num-

My Specs:

I don`t care..it is a Computer..a black one..

Hi...

There're two warning lights; ЗАХВАТ РЛС and ЗАХВАТ ОЛС.

Couldn't find a proper translate for them. What do they mean?

Thank you.

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

Those are more like "notification" lights. Warning lights are red.

They light up (green color) when you lock a target with the active sensor (RDR/OLS).

Thanks, lmp.

РЛС means Радиолокационная станция (which roughly means RADAR)

Edited by Bourrinopathe
  • Like 1

Hi.

I have some problems about translation of Russian words on forward dash. Could you help me? Thank you.

Couldn't guess what these mean:

ПP

ФИКС

ГЛАВ ВКЛ

НОСКИ КРЫЛА

And I guess these must be as seen, right?

Б - Bombs

УР - Guided Rockets

HPC - Unguided Rockets

BПУ - GUN (built-in)

ППУ - What's that?

The indicators on weapon section.

"K, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, НЗ"

I thought that K was "Failure" but wrong. Is it "Empty" or something?

H3 - What's that?

Thank you so much in advance. :)

"ПP" isn't it Lauch Authorized? In the HUD ?

"УР" - Guided Rockets : litterally, yes. So, "missiles" too.

"BПУ" - GUN (built-in)

"ППУ" - Gun too, not built-in. Gunpods if you prefer...

"K, 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, НЗ" from full to empty... (relative to gun ammo)

Edited by Azrayen
  • Like 1

spacer.png

Thanks a lot.

Yes, I saw ПP in the HUD; can be LA.