A little real-life Mi-8 action

Thanks Skull, great vid.

Hello,

It's a real pleasure and if I found other vidéos I put the links here...

Best regards, Skull.

Edited by Skulleader

@ badger66 , lorenzoj and msalama

Thanks for your kind words !

Sadly I got my results and no, I won't be in that part of the Army ...

Here in France all three " weapons " got helicopters : the ALAT ( Aviation Légère de l'Armée de Terre, US Marines equivalent), the Marine Natinale ( the equivalent of your USN yankees ) and the Armée de l'Air ( USAF equivalent ... )

So I failed the ALAT for mysterious reasons ( good point, it's not a medical one ;-) ) and I signed for the Marine Nationale exams now in the months to come ...

The primary differences between those 3 weapons, as well as the 4th ( Gendarmerie Nationale ) is the type of mission

The ALAT got Gazelles, Pumas, Super Pumas, Cougar, Caracal ( EC725 ), NH90 Caïman, EC665 Tiger, AS555 Fenec, Pilatus PC-6 and TBM 700 and does primarily ground attack missions, troop support and troop transport, as well as observation

The Marine Nationale got Westland Lynx, Dauphin/Panther, NH90 Caïman, Alouette III, Super Frelon ( getting old yeah ^^ ) and for fixed wing they got the Super Etendard Modernised and the excellent Rafale M ... as long as E2C Hawkeye, Falcon, ATL2 etc ... Their missions, for helicopters, are mainly public service help ( SaR, narcotraffic repression, antisubmarine missions, commandos transport etc )

The Armée de l'Air got all major fighters ( Mirage 2000-5, -C,-D,-N ( Nuclear, ASMP ) ... Rafale, Mirage F1, Alpha Jet and many others ... and only the AS555 Fenec ( twin turbine Ecureuil ) and EC725 Caracal, and their missions are mostly VIP transport and politicals protection etc

Here it is, the quick summary of our forces ;-)

I had one chance in the ALAT ( chance used ... ), three in the Marine Nationale and one in the Armée de l'Air ... The year will be busy ahah !

Selections are very hard in peace time, for the ALAT statistic showed 5% to 8% those years ;-( very low

Thanks for your interest and sorry for the off topic ...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

Hello Hueyman,

I'm very sad and sorry for you concerning your results, it's very difficult to be a pilot in this time.

This summer (07-21-2013) with my wife I've attended to the airshow of EALAT (Le Luc en Provence Le Cannet des Maures): http://www.meeting-leluc.fr/ it was a great moment, each two years I go to this airshow and each time it's a real pleasure.

I've add the link of the EALAT for our friends from all around the world, I know that you know this web site and this airshow ^^

In fact can you stay in the French Army ?

Maybe I've wrong translate your message but I wish you one future success because the exams are very difficult and it's not easy, I live in Salon de Provence (Airbase of the famous and awesome Military Acrobatic Team: The Patrouille de France) and years after years many students work hard to be a future fighter pilot and it's very hard, the qualifications very very hard and just few young guys may be pilot...

In French because my English is a little poor et sometime there's many words that I don't know...

Je te dis "merde" pour ton avenir et te souhaites une très belle réussite professionnelle, que tu choisisses un métier qui te plaise et que tu en fasses une passion, c’est tout ce que je peux te souhaiter…

Courage mon ami mais ça vaut le coup, bye.

Bye everybody, Skull.

Merci Skull ! Ca fait plaisir, vraiment ;-) !

Non j'ai encore 3 chances dans la Marine et une dans l'AdA ... Tu as de la chance d'habiter une si belle région ! Je n'étais pas au meeting cet été mais ai effectué une PM ( Période Militaire ) au Luc justement du 8 au 12 Juillet

Wait and see ;-) But I'm confident, il s'en est fallu de peu !

Cheers everyone

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

CPL(A)IR ME/SEP/MEP/SET - CPL(H)

It is interesting that they are flying it without autopilot engaged.

No he's not, the autopilot is definitely on. When off, the bars on the trim indicator are centered and don't move at all. Every time the camera pans over the trim indicator, you can see deflections in several of the channels. Keep in mind that you can twist the lights to dim them so much they may not be visible in the video.

Besides that, it should be noted that flying without the autopilot in an Mi-8 is an emergency procedure. You can fly without the autopilot working (it's not absolutely required, the pilot in command has the choice to abort the flight or not), but in the real aircraft, you gain absolutely nothing and you lose a lot by having the autopilot off.

No he's not, the autopilot is definitely on. When off, the bars on the trim indicator are centered and don't move at all. Every time the camera pans over the trim indicator, you can see deflections in several of the channels. Keep in mind that you can twist the lights to dim them so much they may not be visible in the video.

Besides that, it should be noted that flying without the autopilot in an Mi-8 is an emergency procedure. You can fly without the autopilot working (it's not absolutely required, the pilot in command has the choice to abort the flight or not), but in the real aircraft, you gain absolutely nothing and you lose a lot by having the autopilot off.

Yes, you are right - I looked only at the light - it is probably dim or just not well visible on the camera, the bars are moving so the AP is working.

I will add a very nice although somewhat sad video of departing of 9xMi-171 from the Czech airbase Prerov, which is to be closed, just look at the modernized cockpit:

Czech Mi-17 at RIAT Fairford:

I really love this livery, more beautiful than Porche, Ferrari and other racing cars...

Skull.

Hello Zagreb,

I know this video and for me it's a good video for our Mi-8.

Bye Skull.

Hello Namenlos,

A great thanks for your videos, a real pleasure to watch this incredible helicopter.

Thanks for your sharing, best regards. Skull

• 2 weeks later...

Hello guys,

There's few minutes now I found this great and awesome video, I found this video very cool and I've download this video on my PC...

Link of this video:

Bye bye, Skull.

Hello,

Yesterday I've found this incredible video, 1:30:04 inside one Mi-17.

I really love this video, bye. Skull

EDIT: Another great video:

Edited by Skulleader
  • Like 2

Photos of repair and modernisation of Czech Air Force Mi-8S to be ready for service to president of Czech Republic. Enjoy, those are great and unique photos :thumbup:

Take a look at the gallery, those photos cannot be posted here:

http://technet.idnes.cz/foto.aspx?r=tec_reportaze&c=A130918_225322_tec_reportaze_rja

Its not just me that screws up

Ouch!

Of course I can't talk, my water landings with the Mi-8 haven't gone much better. Granted mine were involuntary with the pilot dead, engines out and upside down.:doh:

"Hurled headlong flaming from the ethereal sky; With hideous ruin and combustion down;
To bottomless perdition, there to dwell; In adamantine chains and penal fire"

(RIG info is outdated, will update at some point) i5 @3.7GHz (OC to 4.1), 16GB DDR3, Nvidia GTX 970 4GB, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro, TM Warthog HOTAS, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, Razer Blackshark Headset, Obutto Ozone

Some precission work:

Anti-joystick.

cf651d8ae3f20bb476fcd972da0300b7.jpg

4f030884f88d41800e7a7456c1256692.jpg

99b35644d50c6d25327b2288c1c199d8.jpg

446f50537fa39f7d0913a832d55171c5.jpg

http://www.computerra.ru/vision/564346/

Great autorotation video Namenlos. Those approaches look really scary. Also, I like the VVI in those vids, particularly that 2m/s is marked on them. Would be very useful to have ;).

A video with instructions about performing autorotation landings (in Russian):

http://www.avsimrus.com/f/dokumentalnie-filmi-i-syuzheti-96/avtorotaciya-mi-8-37324.html?action=viewonline

Edited by Namenlos Ein