My thoughts after ~40 hours logged in the Huey - Page 2 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 02-13-2020, 03:55 AM   #11
JasonJ

Does the Huey's ball on the slip indicator function correctly in DCS?
I remember reading somewhere in these forums it's physics is reversed due to a bug...
or perhaps this is corrected now. But I want to know if it does indeed work correctly?

Sim Rig || Pics 2010 |
PC 2019 || 8600K @ 4.8GHz | RTX2080ti | 32GB RAM | 500GB SSD | Win10 64bit |
PC 2010 || 2600K @ 3.4GHz | Zotac GTX680 | 8GB RAM | Win7 64bit Ultimate SP1 |

Cockpit || Joystick: T.16000M | Pedals: Logitech G25 | Throttle: Logitech Attack3 Modded | G25 Shifter |
Cockpit || Oculus Rift-S VR | Custom Frame & Seat | 3x Bass Shaker | 2:1 Game Sound | Rear Head Rest Speakers Comms/Music |
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #12
BlacleyCole

Listen to bad crc I’ll bet he ha more hrs in any of the rotary wing aircraft than any three non black shark den members in the same airframe. He trains helicopter pilots with others that have rl rotary experience and they try to follow us army training syllabuses within the confines of dcs something’s are just not doable either because dcs didn’t model it or there is no way to simulate it in a static sim or even a motion sim.

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.
BlacleyCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:33 AM   #13
Yeti42

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaD CrC View Post
Rudder is always required when flying at pretty much any speed in a chopper. The main rotor torque you have to counter using the tail rotor is actually increasing as you are going faster (because you need more collective at faster speeds hence more torque), and as such you will have to push even harder on the rudder. The vertical surfaces on the tail are just here to somewhat reduce the effort on the rudder, but they will almost never cancel it. That is why chopper rudders are not centered, and if you want to be serious in flying choppers in dcs, you actually should remove the centering mechanism on your rudder.
Choppers are different than fixed wings. They are an order of magnitude more complex to fly. This is true irl, this is true in dcs. Everything you know for fix wing is not relevant for choppers.
THIS! You constantly need to use some rudder at pretty much any speed and weight if there is no fly by wire system.

Hotas Warthog | Logitech G Flight Rudder Pedals | Track IR 4
Yeti42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:44 AM   #14
Mud

There was a post/blog some years ago where the founder of Belsimtek (I believe) went to the US to fly along in a UH-1. He is a former Mi-8 pilot himself. At some point he was allowed to take the controls in the UH-1 and I remember him mentioning that he needed to add more rudder in level flight than he expected.

Spoiler:
W10-x64 | Z390 Gigabyte Aorus Ultra | Core i7 9700K @ 4.8Ghz | Noctua NH-D15
Corsair 32Gb 3200 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
Asus Xonar AE | TM Hotas Warthog
MFG Crosswind pedals | TrackIR 5
Oculus Rift CV 1
Mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:18 PM   #15
d0ppler

This guy illustrates exactly what I mentioned about the rudder torque and enginge rpm vs rotor rpm. This guy, at least, seems to know what he's talking about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jadviVEahD4

rudder in cruise flight : 6:40
engine rpm vs rotor rpm : 24:40

Last edited by d0ppler; 02-13-2020 at 02:22 PM.
d0ppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:12 PM   #16
BaD CrC

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ppler View Post
This guy, at least, seems to know what he's talking about:
Well I don't know how I should take that, but yes, what he is saying is that the huey should need less pedal left and less torque in cruise that it needs in hover IGE which is true and does not contradict what I already said (it doesn't say your rudder shall be neutral at cruise speed unlike what you claimed from your RC experience). I am glad this guy said "I believe" about the right pedal thing.

Anyway, looks like you all figured it out in just 40 hours. That's pretty impressive. Congrats man.

8086K delid @5.1Ghz under EKWB Water, 2080Ti FE, 32Gb DDR4, 970Pro NvME.
BaD CrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 04:37 PM   #17
d0ppler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaD CrC View Post
Well I don't know how I should take that, but yes, what he is saying is that the huey should need less pedal left and less torque in cruise that it needs in hover IGE which is true and does not contradict what I already said (it doesn't say your rudder shall be neutral at cruise speed unlike what you claimed from your RC experience). I am glad this guy said "I believe" about the right pedal thing.

Anyway, looks like you all figured it out in just 40 hours. That's pretty impressive. Congrats man.
Ah sorry! I admit I was wrong about the neutral rudder, and thanks for clarifying that part.
d0ppler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:45 AM   #18
HuggyBear

From the Maintenance Test Flight Manual:

IN-FLIGHT CHECKS

1. Control rigging - Check:
a. FORCE TRIM - ON
b. Increase airspeed - 90 (Nose mounted), 100 (Roof mounted) using 30 PSI torque, needle ball centered.
c. Note cyclic nearly center; force trim holds controls in position.
d. Right pedal should be 1.0 to 2.0'' forward of left.
e. The collective should not creep up or down.
f. FORCE TRIM - OFF.

- Bear

- Robert A. Heinlein
HuggyBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 02:41 PM   #19
Relic

Huey needs left yaw on take off to counteract torque, and it needs a bit of right rudder during forward flight ( I don't know why). The less weight you have the more she seems to need right rudder in flight. Again, don't know why. I just fly it lol.

Dcs lighting is bad, but the huey lighting was also historically bad. There are other posts here about that light and how horrible it is in real life.

Dunno about the needle.
RTX 2080
1TB Samsung SSD 860 EVO
T16000M FCS, TWCS Throttle, MFG Crosswind.V2 Rudder pedals
Win 10
Relic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:53 AM   #20
blaster182

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0ppler View Post
-Is the search light and landing light so poor in the real chopper?
I've tried the new beta version yesterday and only took a short night flight. I got the impression that the lights work now, finally! Can anyone confirm this? Also, the green tinted roof windows are more transparent now. Happy flying!
blaster182 is offline   Reply With Quote