A guide for the F/A-18C start-up procedure, in pictures:

DCS World Guidesite F/A-18C Start-up

DCSW Pictorial Guides

Kneeboard Files

Brixmis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:11 AM   #2
BlacleyCole

Nice tutorial

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.
BlacleyCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:15 AM   #3
Emmy

Nicely done Brixmis!
Emmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:00 AM   #4
Burger

Nice, but just wondering whether you should also include

Warning Light test
Setting TACAN
Setting Bingo Fuel
Setting backup altimeter & radar altimeter
Turning on RWR
INS to NAV once alignment complete
Manual check of flight controls plus speedbrake, hook & refuelling probe
IFF & D/L on
Radios set as required

I also think the title should specifically mention this is for an airfield start, not carrier, as there are a couple of important differences (INS to CVN not GND etc).

Personally, altho it's perhaps not strictly "Start Up", I would like the very first item to be a check of things like - Park Brake On, Master Arm Safe, Anti Skid On (not on carrier), Hook Up, Wing Fold Handle matches wing position etc.

Finally (to be a real pain ) perhaps there should be mention of arming the seat, tightening shoulder straps & setting pitot heat, but I'm guessing these things are normally done once the pilot has taxied to the runway for takeoff, so don't strictly qualify as "Startup"?

All the above is intended as constructive feedback only, do with it as you wish!

But definitely a great job.

Oh, just remembered something else - landing/taxi lights as required. Or all the aircraft lights for that matter.

Oh just noticed too (definitely the last thing from me!) maybe the very first picture should mention in brackets that "Battery On" is via a right mouse click (or is it left?) because I ALWAYS manage to click it the wrong way for some reason. So annoying.

Cheers.
Burger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:41 PM   #5
CucoNegron6924

Brixmis, thanks for a job well done!!!

Cuco Negron
San Juan, PR
CucoNegron6924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:14 AM   #6
Brixmis

You are very welcome guys - these were originally made primarily for my own use - but it would be silly not to share and maybe kind of selfish, too.

DCSW Pictorial Guides

Kneeboard Files

Old 02-13-2020, 11:48 AM   #7
Brixmis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burger View Post
Nice, but just wondering whether you should also include
The procedure shown on the guide is exactly the same as that described and shown by Wags in his video tutorial (I originally used images from his video - with his permission, of course).

I will rarely, if ever, put items into a guide or checklist that are not included in the module's developers checklists or manual guides etc.

Firsly - where does it stop? It then becomes my personal procedure (or one from another source and may include items other than that intended by the dev) and secondly - these guides are not supposed to be the be-all-and-end-all authority and include everything.

They are there so that people who have several modules and switch about the airframes they fly have a quick and easy memory-jogger when they jump into something they haven't sat in for a while; for people who don't like reading the manuals (which can be quite daunting to complete newcomers) and connected to that - they are also meant to encourage new pilots to get stuck in. The more I put in them, the less likely this last goal is to be achieved.

Pretty much every one of them describes the procedure as described in their relevant start-up (or other procedure) tutorial missions provided in the sim, by the developers themselves.

You are, of course, welcome to use the images or lists and add your own bits for use when flying

DCSW Pictorial Guides

Kneeboard Files

Old 02-14-2020, 02:04 PM   #8
aceviper

Thanks Brixmis for these pictorial guides...much appreciated

aceviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:10 PM   #9
DaWu

Thx for the pictures. I made a PDF out of them and put them in my VR kneeboard. Works like a charm
DaWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #10
Brixmis

Great - pleased they are found useful.

DaWu - I do have kneeboard file versions of all of the guides - they are available to download from Google Drive (link in my sig) - they are jpg or png format, though.

If people would prefer pdf I could do that - but I rarely get any feedback on them, so I don't really know.

DCSW Pictorial Guides

Kneeboard Files