Starting over from scratch

After 3 attempts to upgrade to 2.5 Release, I have decided to delete all files and start over. I do have my "keys" for two purchased products (NTTR and F-5). Is there anything I need to watch out for in this process. I am surprised to encounter this brick wall after an easy time downloading and running 2.2.0, 1.5.8.12823, NTTR, and the F-5. :mad:

Clevo laptop: P650HS-G, i7-7820HK 3.9Hz max (+overclock capable), Liquid Metal pasted, 16GB DDR4/2400MHz, 15.6 G-Sync 120Hz 5ms panel, nVidia GTX 1070 w/8GDDR5, 10Pro

Installed: DCS World, DCS World 2 with Nevada, F-5; Purchased: F/A-18C

I am doing the same, starting over and I am having a hard time with the downloads. I am running high speed comcast cable and it took all night just for 2.5 lo load and now I am adding just the Nevada map and I am getting download speeds of 0.7MB's. This map is not even a quarter of the way and has been going for 4 hours. Is this the norm as all my other downloads from other sites are very quick. I still have all my aircraft and campaigns to download.

JeffG

Jeffrey Gerbert

Jeff,

By "hard time" are you just referring the LONG process?? Does Comcast "throttle" you somehow?

I typically down load overnight over a DSL with speeds of about .6 maximum. Daytime, the line traffic is much worse. Takes 10 hours (with the HTTPS:// setting, not torrent. I DO LEAVE my antivirus on which DCS does not recommend due to the slowing effect. That's 10 hours for each item: DCS World......Nevada........and then my F-5. ......Sigh.....

Clevo laptop: P650HS-G, i7-7820HK 3.9Hz max (+overclock capable), Liquid Metal pasted, 16GB DDR4/2400MHz, 15.6 G-Sync 120Hz 5ms panel, nVidia GTX 1070 w/8GDDR5, 10Pro

Good luck and hope it all works for you. I'll start my process in about a day (night) or too.

That is strange, I can actually download faster than I can install it on my Raid-0 SSD's.

I have done this 3 times last few weeks and DL speed was very good.

500/50 Mbit pipe cable

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

I have tried again late last night with the cpu and the screen set to never on going to sleep and this morning the screen says Torrenting the Downloaded 0%

Peers 2:0.0 kb/s,down 0.0kb/s. That has been up for 12 hrs now. I have 14 aircraft and maps,campaigns that it looks like it will take a week or more to download with high speed internet.

Jeff G

Jeffrey Gerbert

Jeffreymg,

from what you say, it is VERY likely that you have one component anywhere in your LAN/WAN that blocks Peer-2-Peer traffic, in this case Bittorrent.

That "function" can be part of your Antivirus Suite, verify it's not misfiring here. I suggest a deinstall to test. Disabling the scanner and features is often not enough to show the desired effect ( unblocked traffic ).

It can be part of your Home-Router. Depending on what Router you have this is rather unlikely for a standard home router in default config, nonetheless it could be that. Verify that your router is not blocking P2P in general and specifically Bittorrent and it's commonly used Ports.

Bittorrent by default uses ports 6881 to 6889 with tcp as protocol.

The worst would be if you have a nasty ISP who blocks Peer-2-Peer traffic. Some few actually do. Make sure he doesn't.

To counter all this, use the http downloader. if that also fails, then you or ED have a problem distributing and/or receiving update files to you® ISP/region/continent. I think ED cares about regions and continents and tries to reach them all with good speed.

If you are from Russia or depend on their net. They currently block a lot of sites and routes. This is beyond any ones control but politics.

edit: To check if you can DL any Bittorrent file, download + install the original bittorrent client and download any file you like, I recommend a linux from a trusted source like Ubuntu or Debian, etc.. If you cannot dl with that client you have an issue as described. If you can dl w/o any problem any other file via bittorrent client BUT NOT DCS, then ..I dunno..ask ED then why.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Hoping Jeff gets the situation resolved!

I successfully downloaded 2.5 using Torrent, but at a very slow pace = 11 hours +/-. I decided to use Torrent and it worked.

My prior 1.5 and 2.2 DLs were using HTTP, so I guess in my case both may work. Now to DL the F-5 and Nevada. (temporarily disregard my signature below re. DLed products.)