Friend or foe?

JohnnyZ

2-3sec is enough but you have to have the target in front of you. If you use AIM-7 put it in the circle(if you can without loosing lock...). I suggest not to lock up until you have it at your 12 o'clock(this way at least you don't annoy friendlies with buddyspikes too long).

Plus there is a bug where you lock the target but it looses lock immediately which results the targeting "info" will freeze(square don't move distance same)... quite annoying.

• 1 year later...

In addition I use the EW-Monitor plus HUD-function to ensure that the locked target is a MIG 29 (i.e.)

Kind regards

Hans Dieter

System: Win 11 Prof, 64 Bit, AMD 4350 Quad-Core, Gigabyte-Board 970A-UD3P, 16 GB-RAM; ASUS GTX 1080 8 GB - Nvidia Geforce

Or once you have a target locked, press the sensor select (forgot exact terminology but not sensor depress). The one that you would press when interrogating a contact/track on the radar. It will change from a square to a diamond. Just keep in mind, depending on your orientation a square can look like a diamond, and a diamond can look like a square.

I'll look at the control key binds and give the exact key bind terminology when I get back to home base tomorrow.

Cheers,

Don

Edited by Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

Know who is around you beforehand, identified, and then know who shows up in front of you, don't shoot into a merged.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

if the target is surrounded by a square its friendly or if its a diamond its a foe, but don't shoot straight away though since it takes a sec to make s its mind up :)

If it's a square it's unknown.

A friendly is a square with a semi circle over it.

Be aware that right now this only shows on the HUD, not the JHMCS and not for any F18s that the AWACS is also updating you about (which will be the majority of the ones you encounter) which is why there are still many FF incidents.

Diamond for enemy also doesn't show unless you have a second contact declare a contact enemy, which when in mountains hidden from AWACS can be problematic.

If it's a square it's unknown.

A friendly is a square with a semi circle over it.

Be aware that right now this only shows on the HUD, not the JHMCS and not for any F18s that the AWACS is also updating you about (which will be the majority of the ones you encounter) which is why there are still many FF incidents.

Diamond for enemy also doesn't show unless you have a second contact declare a contact enemy, which when in mountains hidden from AWACS can be problematic.

Not entirely true. Square is anything but hostile. The half circle over the TD box is when an offboard source also identifies the trackfile as a friendly.