HP's Reverb VR Pro Headset

nervousenergy

I would check ShopBLT and see if you qualify for an RMA. I cant recall exactly what their policy is, but I think I read that they will replace defective merchandise but you need an RMA to do it. Ah screw it, I just copied from their site. This isnt all of it.

"IMPORTANT: You cannot return any item without an RMA number and the manufacturer's packaging. Do NOT return items to the originating warehouse. You MUST obtain an RMA number first. NO EXCEPTIONS.

Defective and factory sealed items can be returned for replacement, store credit, or refund within 30 days of the purchase date. "Defective" means an item is non-functioning, incompatible with your operating system, or doesn't function as described or advised by the manufacturer. "Factory Sealed" means an item is in 100% resalable condition, with all manufacturer's seals intact. "Purchase Date" is the day we shipped your order, noted on your receipt. You must obtain a Return Merchandise Authorization (RMA) number from us to process any return or replacement, within 30 days of the purchase date. You MUST obtain an RMA number online at ShopBLT.com, using the Returns / Exchanges link. RMA numbers are NOT issued by telephone. You cannot return, replace, claim a lost shipment, or request an RMA number 31 days or more after the purchase date. RMA requests submitted on or after 5:00 PM eastern time are treated as submitted on the following business day."

I would so try to RMA it with a new one. You may qualify, and who knows, ShopBLT might replace it with a newer one made week 31 or more. Cant hurt to find out.

I guess it might qualify for defective, but HP should replace it under warranty. And HP might have newer versions to ship out.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

That sux. What week number does the serial number say?

I guess it might qualify for defective, but HP should replace it under warranty. And HP might have newer versions to ship out.

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

At least one has a Gen 2 and said no problems so far. I think it was a week 31 build. Maybe Wmacky. I think the guys in Australia are just receiving the Gen 2's first.

Well sad weekend update.

My Reverb has started to have problems after 3 weeks. This is the ShopBLT version with the cable clip. I also did the cable mod to provide strain relief. I've only used it seated for DCS and even then mostly looking straight ahead.

I first noticed, "snow" kind of like you used to get with old TV's when the reception was not good, overlayed on the scene to varying degrees when I looked down and right.

Then trying to "fix" this problem by turning the cable resulted a loss of one eye picture (black) then Both.

Further futzing with the cable restored the system to function, but I'm still getting periodic snow and random black outs.

I'm gonna contact HP soon to get it exchanged.

Anyone get a Gen2 version yet?

How fast is the exchange process? Do I need to send it in and then they exchange it, or do they send me one, and I send the bad one back. (Pro Version)

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

I think that is a Gen 2. Great!

I see HP store (US) at least has them in stock and says shipping within 24 hours.

Received my Reverb Aug. 17 in USA. Guess you would call it a Gen 2, as it is a 931 serial. No issues so far, but only have about 6 hours on it.

I received a 930 serial in Australia last week, 10 hours in and it runs beautifully so far, although it did take a while to get settings I was happy with.

I do have the misaligned projection issue that seems to be common with WMR headsets in DCS though - ED brought out a fix for the O+, so hopefully they will bring out one for the Reverb soon as well, preferably before I can no longer walk in straight lines IRL...

:thumbup: on the Gen 2. I have heard of a few complain of that alignment issue but I have not noticed it on two.

I plan on returning my Gen 1 on Friday to Best Buy but they claim that HP is not yet shipping the fixed Standards to replace it with which is all they want to carry. I may have a bit of a gap without one unless I get another Pro from HP.

I received a 930 serial in Australia last week, 10 hours in and it runs beautifully so far, although it did take a while to get settings I was happy with.

I do have the misaligned projection issue that seems to be common with WMR headsets in DCS though - ED brought out a fix for the O+, so hopefully they will bring out one for the Reverb soon as well, preferably before I can no longer walk in straight lines IRL...

Edited by Secoda

For those looking for a 3D printed prescription lens holder I found the Vive pro one designed for use with Gear VR lens mod drops straight in. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2869900

Use it with the $9.95 Zenni optical 41mm round lens. I found it might be a bit deep and push against my cheeks so I cut off about a third of an inch off the bottom using Prussia slicr and it fits great (rotate 180deg to print with no supports at .3 Layer height). They drop in and are held by the face mask....you could probably tape it in but mine seem secure.These are the lenses

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/metal-alloy-full-rim-frame-with-spring-hinge/4500?skuId=450015

Edited by Macka

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

I set up my new reverb yesturday. I was able to fly around using Steam I'm not 100 percent sure how I did it. However I have a stupid question, can I only fly DCS using Steam?
Yes, you need SteamVR currently. Though there is talk there maybe native WMR support at some stage.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

WMR and Steam VR must be active (or set to launch on VR detect which sounds like your case). You can then launch from your desktop as normal if you have the standalone DCS World. If your version of DCS is the steam version then steam launch would be necessary or the Steam DCS shortcut. Steam VR can be set to automatically detect VR games and launch but I find that very hit and miss when using WMR headset. It works fine for the Vive pro. As above I believe ED was hinting that Windows Mixed Reality would be native at a later date but don't know if that's going to happen or even possible. Please correct me if I am wrong anyone?

There we were....two against a thousand.....so what'd we do....Shotem' both!!!!

Intel core I5-9600, GB RTX 2080TI@2050Mhz, Asus ROG Strix Z390, 32GB G.Skill ddr4 3000 Ram. 40" Philips 4K monitor, HP Reverb, Vive Pro, Rift CV1, TMWH and SimXperience Motion Sim, Lime green jocks, Jack Daniels 1770, 2 packs Marlborough, etc etc etc...:megalol:

That sux. What week number does the serial number say?

Its a week 925 unit.

At this point I have found a "configuration" for the cable that works, at least for now. I'm wondering if they might just send me a new cable. I'm gonna wait a week or two on it, to see if I can get a "new" replacement.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

a lot of good info for reverb and WMR users here:

https://vr4dcs.com/2019/08/01/reverb-settings-for-dcs/

I wish I had come across more of this info sooner.

Most of it is in this thread ...

That's awesome! Thanks for sharing. :thumbup:

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Besides the clarity the other big surprise with the Reverb was that the high native resolution allows for minimum SS and the headsets perform with lower requirements than was anticipated.

I kinda anticipated it. But I was still worried :thumbup:

thanks that very helpful information. Sometimes when I play DCS I lose the ability to mouse click.

I was in a mode where a white dot appeared on the screen that was clickable when looking at a floating Comm's menu. Did I just dream that happened or is there a setting?

Yeah, you can "loose the mouse". Its related to the Win+Y setting sometimes, which can "reset" if you fiddle with the headset (Turn it off). What I found is its often best to hit Alt-Enter, to make the VR portion of the screen full screen. Also, try to keep mouse clicks at the center of the FOV (which will keep the mouse at the center of the flat screen). Hope that made some sense.

Please forgive me for being slightly lazy, as this has probably been asked before in one of the 300 pages of this thread :D

How will the HP Reverb compare with my Rift cv1, considering my system specs? (see my signature)

I mean, I know the Reverb has a much higher resolution, better collors (black) and a bigger fov. But to enjoy these advantages I assume I'll have to drastically lower my DCS ingame settings. Maybe to a point that my cv1 would actually be better suited for my system. I'm just guessing here of course.

Can anyone tell me anything about this? There might be people here that stepped over from the cv1 to the Reverb with similar system specs. Would I need to update my system to gain proper advantage over the cv1 with the reverb?

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Please forgive me for being slightly lazy, as this has probably been asked before in one of the 300 pages of this thread :D

How will the HP Reverb compare with my Rift cv1, considering my system specs? (see my signature)

I mean, I know the Reverb has a much higher resolution, better collors (black) and a bigger fov. But to enjoy these advantages I assume I'll have to drastically lower my DCS ingame settings. Maybe to a point that my cv1 would actually be better suited for my system. I'm just guessing here of course.

Can anyone tell me anything about this? There might be people here that stepped over from the cv1 to the Reverb with similar system specs. Would I need to update my system to gain proper advantage over the cv1 with the reverb?

I went from a CV1 to a Reverb, I have a better GFX card than you (2080ti).

Generally:

1. Much higher resolution (like monitor level) with some minor issues with clarity/chromatic abberation around the edges. (But no real SDE)

2. Colors are WORSE than the Rift (much flatter)

3. FOV, is really about the same, to me the Reverb seems a bit worse honestly, but its minor.

4. Performance. I literally used the same settings as my CV1 initially and to my surprise it worked fine. The main thing you will want to do, is drop PD in DCS to 1.0 (since you don't need it), and then use steamVR settings to bump it back up to help with any jaggies. But since you are generally doing much less super sampling, there really isn't a major performance hit. I actually ended up turning several settings up.

About the only thing I'd do is up your overall system ram to 32, and if you are in the mood upgrade the GFX card. But I think there are several of guys here with 1080ti's running the reverb without issue.

2. Colors are WORSE than the Rift (much flatter)

3. FOV, is really about the same, to me the Reverb seems a bit worse honestly, but its minor.

Oh I read somewhere that the colors were better (especially black). But I guess this might also be quite subjective.

About the fov. So you say you hardly notice the change from 110 to 140? Hmm that's quite disapointing tbh.

Great to hear about the "monitor level" resolution though :thumbup:

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

Oh I read somewhere that the colors were better (especially black). But I guess this might also be quite subjective.

About the fov. So you say you hardly notice the change from 110 to 140? Hmm that's quite disapointing tbh.

Great to hear about the "monitor level" resolution though :thumbup:

I think you might be confusing the reverb with the Index, or the RiftS.

RiftS colors are reported to be close to the CV1 by several users.

Valve Index FOV is 140 degrees. (reverb is reported to be 114, while the rift IIRC was 110)

Reverb's blacks are Fine though. It looks great in EliteDangerous in fact. But in DCS the color palate is noticeably "flatter" and more washed out.

Neither the RiftS or the Index resolution is anywhere close to the Reverb, but both are improved over the CV1.

I think you might be confusing the reverb with the Index, or the RiftS.

RiftS colors are reported to be close to the CV1 by several users.

Valve Index FOV is 140 degrees. (reverb is reported to be 114, while the rift IIRC was 110)

Reverb's blacks are Fine though. It looks great in EliteDangerous in fact. But in DCS the color palate is noticeably "flatter" and more washed out.

Neither the RiftS or the Index resolution is anywhere close to the Reverb, but both are improved over the CV1.

Ahh yeah you're right. Looked up my source again and it clearly says 114.. I must have read what I wanted to read :doh:

It was mainly the 140fov that triggered me as I'm not so enthousiastic about the narrow view in the cv1.

Thanks for your answers Harlikwin :thumbup:

System specs: