Which VR Headset Did You Own Or Are You Buying This Year?

Secoda

243 members have voted

1. 1. Which VR Headset Did You Own Or Are You Buying This Year?

• Oculus Rift S
    • Valve Index
    • HP Reverb
    • Rift CV1
    • Odyssey
    • Odyssey Plus
    • Lenovo Explorer
    • Pimax (any)
    • Other

I have not seen a real good explanation of SteamVR resolution. This helps me a little if it is still true.

The frame that is sent to the headset will always be native headset resolution unless SteamVR has it misidentified. It's meant to cut down on HMD processing onboard.

I read that DCS PD is measured as a ratio on the diagonal while SteamVR SuperSampling is measured as percentage on the height and width.

PD 1.5 = 225% in SteamVR

I have seen it argued each way if it is better to use DCS or SteamVR for resolution/SS. I find using SteamVR much better now. I think that may not have been the case before many updates to DCS.

SteamVR: Help me understand Application Resolution and Application Resolution Adjustment

With reprojection off in F-18 Free Flight single player sky view - Reverb

xZyV3VB.png

With reprojection off in F-18 Free Flight single player near terrain and in view - Reverb. Reprojection makes it butter smooth out side of canopy at moderate speeds next to terrain. FPS always shows 45 then.

5IeojAL.png

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

Well guys I have tried all info linked above. Still only see 60 FPS while looking at the ocean. I am not sure if I am stupid or just thick headed but, I think DCS is not ready for VR. Not to say DCS does not KA������ but we still have some time to go.

May seem counter-productive , but have you tried 90hz refresh . You should be able to hold 45 with repro .

And how about memory-xmp enabled ?

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

May seem counter-productive , but have you tried 90hz refresh . You should be able to hold 45 with repro .

And how about memory-xmp enabled ?

Yes Sysmokey, I am running 90hz. With the above performance. Not sure what you mean by the XMP enabled thing? XMP OC on the processor?

CV1 for a year or so and now Rift S.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have not seen a real good explanation of SteamVR resolution. This helps me a little if it is still true.

The frame that is sent to the headset will always be native headset resolution unless SteamVR has it misidentified. It's meant to cut down on HMD processing onboard.

I read that DCS PD is measured as a ratio on the diagonal while SteamVR SuperSampling is measured as percentage on the height and width.

PD 1.5 = 225% in SteamVR

I have seen it argued each way if it is better to use DCS or SteamVR for resolution/SS. I find using SteamVR much better now. I think that may not have been the case before many updates to DCS.

I'm just saying that neither thing seems to have any visual benefit for me. It starts off good, and doesn't get better. The only thing noticeable with an increase in either PD or SteamVR SS is the decrease in performance. From my observations, it looks like the VR portion of DCS currently isn't capable of going beyond the native capabilities of the Reverb. In fact, it almost looks like it might not even be capable of attaining the native capabilities, so what we're seeing is a lower resolution than what the Reverb can produce on its own. Is there an app that lets us see what the actual, rendered resolution is during gameplay in DCS? It would be interesting to see what something like that would have to say.

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

Prior to the Rift S release we were using Pimax and Ody+ VR HMDs. I was very surprised at the Rift S perfomance based on its stats pre release, and sold the Ody+ units in favor of Rift S units, which all users here are very happy with. Pimax not so much, PITA, although the FOV is nice.

The Reverb is something I was highly anticipating, but it still isn't available in Canada, and based on all the problems, I'm happy to wait for the Acer Ojo instead, or a Reverb 2.0 or at least 1.0 version that is more consistent in terms of QC.

Systems

Virpil T50x2,T50CM2x2,Warbrd x2, VFX/Delta/CM2/Alpha/Tm Hornet sticks, VKB GF3, Tm Warthog(many), Modded Cougar, VKB Pedals/MFG Pedals/Slaw Viper RX+109Cam Pedals/Virpil T50+T50CM Throttle/CH Fightersticks/CH Throttles/CH peds, Index x1, Reverb x1

I would use the lowest possible settings to achieve nearly (nearly meaning if the picture drops a few percent by greatly lowering some setting but increases FPS by 20% I would leave it) the best picture to achieve the highest performance as you are. Do you have MSAA in DCS at 2X?

Did you notice any change with the 1903 WMR resolution fix?

I'm just saying that neither thing seems to have any visual benefit for me. It starts off good, and doesn't get better. The only thing noticeable with an increase in either PD or SteamVR SS is the decrease in performance. From my observations, it looks like the VR portion of DCS currently isn't capable of going beyond the native capabilities of the Reverb. In fact, it almost looks like it might not even be capable of attaining the native capabilities, so what we're seeing is a lower resolution than what the Reverb can produce on its own. Is there an app that lets us see what the actual, rendered resolution is during gameplay in DCS? It would be interesting to see what something like that would have to say.

Edited by Secoda

I-7 8700K 5 Ghz OC, Trident Z RGB 32GB DDR4-3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, ASUS RTX2080 8GB OC, NVMe PCIe M.2 1 TB SSD, EVO 1TB SSD, WD 1TB HD, WD Black 2 TB HD image, Corsair H150i Pro Cooler, HOTAS 16000FCS, Corsair Crystal 570X RGB case, Corsair RM750x Gold PSU, Razer Cynosa Chroma RGB keyboard, Razer Mamba Wireless Gaming Mouse, Samsung QLED 4K 82" :) TV/monitor. HP Reverb. Lenovo Explorer. IRL Private Pilot.

I would use the lowest possible settings to achieve nearly (nearly meaning if the picture drops a few percent by greatly lowering some setting but increases FPS by 20% I would leave it) the best picture to achieve the highest performance as you are. Do you have MSAA in DCS at 2X?

Did you notice any change with the 1903 WMR resolution fix?

That's just it though, I have tried gradually increasing SS from 100% in Steam VR, and have seen no difference in clarity. This was after having it set at 188% like what was suggested in the Reverb thread, which also had no noticeable difference in clarity. So, I'm leaving it set at 100% in Steam VR, with 1.0 PD in DCS. It looks just fine like that. I think DCS is setting the resolution ceiling, and the Reverb is capable of more than what DCS can produce in VR. I see no difference at all in clarity between 100% SS and 188% SS, it is excellent in both cases. It would be cool if there was some kind of HUD for VR that could display the actual resolution being rendered in-game. I think we would see that it never hits the native resolution of the Reverb. I have MSAA set at 2X, which pretty much eliminates all the jaggies, which were minimal to begin with.

As for the 1903 VR fix, I still have my Windows 10 at 1803. I figure, if it ain't broke, I'm not gonna try to "fix it". Never had any blurriness issues like others have had with the higher version. Just need to get the lenses a little further from my eyes and it'll be fantastic.

Just for giggles, I tried DCS in the CV1 again last weekend, and WOW does it look horrible compared to the Reverb. For some reason, the clarity increase from going to the Reverb from the CV1 wasn't as much of a shock as trying the other direction. It reminded me of trying to read the time on my alarm clock right when I wake up in the morning and my eyes are still trying to focus. A time when I'm struggling to discern the difference between a 0 and an 8.

Edited by eaglecash867

EVGA Z690 Classified, Intel i9 12900KS Alder Lake processor, MSI MAG Core Liquid 360R V2 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series 64GB DDR5 6400 memory, EVGA RTX3090 FTW3 Ultra 24GB video card, Samsung 980PRO 1TB M2.2280 SSD for Windows 10 64-bit OS, Samsung 980PRO 2TB M2.2280 SSD for program files, LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray burner. HOTAS Warthog, Saitek Pedals, HP Reverb G2. Partridge and pear tree pending. :pilotfly:

I decided to buy Pimax 5k and dont regret it. Earlier cv1. Now the fov is superb, and clarity is acceptable. I don't feel I have to zoom anymore.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G960F przy użyciu Tapatalka

PC: i7 13700k, 64GB RAM 3200MHz DDR4, RTX 4090, VR: Quest 3.

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, crosswinds rudder pedals, VPC panel CP3, WinWing PTO2

Something to possibly keep an eye out in the future is the consumer version of the XTAL.

UpPY_XNpn08

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am waiting for more info on the HTC Cosmos if it has resolution of the Index 90 htz refresh and at least same FOV the six camera tracking would bet having to put up sensors

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Window 10, i9-9900,2080TI, 32GB ram Puma Pro Flight Trainer, 2 x 1TB WB SSD NVMe HP Reverb

We will get to the bottom of how it is supposed to work. I like messing with the these headsets from my IT background. I have contacts now from Microsoft WMR, SteamVR, and HP for that matter (a VR guy) where I can get technical info. from. DCS info. is on the forum pretty much and there is always their technical support. We should be able to map out how it is supposed to be working exactly. It is not supposed to be voodoo like it is because there are layers of software from different vendors. :)

We won't be able to figure out why DCS performance is bad when they can't fix it. lol There are many threads on ED doing technical discussions about DCS VR performance and terrain rendering and shadows and on and on. I think they have a combo of their home grown 3D engine plus a third party terrain rendering engine in play. I think I have read most of the threads and some get pretty technical. I tend to benchmark in a known VR application that is benchmarked all over YouTube and then try DCS.

My 2nd Reverb is on the UPS truck for delivery and should arrive this afternoon. I will get to play again. The Lenovo Explorer I have works great but the lack of clarity is painful at this point after the clarity of the Reverb. It is my guest headset now.

That's just it though, I have tried gradually increasing SS from 100% in Steam VR, and have seen no difference in clarity. This was after having it set at 188% like what was suggested in the Reverb thread, which also had no noticeable difference in clarity. So, I'm leaving it set at 100% in Steam VR, with 1.0 PD in DCS. It looks just fine like that. I think DCS is setting the resolution ceiling, and the Reverb is capable of more than what DCS can produce in VR. I see no difference at all in clarity between 100% SS and 188% SS, it is excellent in both cases. It would be cool if there was some kind of HUD for VR that could display the actual resolution being rendered in-game. I think we would see that it never hits the native resolution of the Reverb. I have MSAA set at 2X, which pretty much eliminates all the jaggies, which were minimal to begin with.

As for the 1903 VR fix, I still have my Windows 10 at 1803. I figure, if it ain't broke, I'm not gonna try to "fix it". Never had any blurriness issues like others have had with the higher version. Just need to get the lenses a little further from my eyes and it'll be fantastic.

Just for giggles, I tried DCS in the CV1 again last weekend, and WOW does it look horrible compared to the Reverb. For some reason, the clarity increase from going to the Reverb from the CV1 wasn't as much of a shock as trying the other direction. It reminded me of trying to read the time on my alarm clock right when I wake up in the morning and my eyes are still trying to focus. A time when I'm struggling to discern the difference between a 0 and an 8.

Edited by Secoda

Did you see this review? Reminds me more of Pimax with the distorted peripherals but it says that these are not Fresnel lenses. Until DisplayPort 1.4 they are having to hold the Refresh Rates down or hit the maximum on data rates. I could not tell any difference between 90 Hz and 120 Hz on the Valve Index but I do notice going from 90 Hz to 60 Hz on the Lenovo or Reverb and I don't care for it. 70 Hz seems somewhat slow for VR. Maybe they can speed that up.

XTAL VR Headset Specs

Screen OLED, non-Fresnel

Resolution 2560 x 1440 per eye

FOV 180 degrees

Refresh Rate 70Hz

$6,000 XTAL Headset Has What VR Needs: Hands-On

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/xtal-vr-headset-price-specs-consumer-hands-on,38404.html

Something to possibly keep an eye out in the future is the consumer version of the XTAL.

UpPY_XNpn08

Edited by Secoda

I just posted in the Reverb section. The SteamVR resolution setting has totally changed for my new Reverb.

I have the Rift S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lian Li 011 Dynamic Evo, Core i9 11900K @ 5.0GHz, Corsair H150i CPU cooler, Asus Prime Z590-A, Radeon RX6800 XT64GB, Team T-Force Delta DDR4 3600, Corsair RM1000X PSU,  Win 11 x64

I got Rift S as my first headset.

I was waiting for the Reverb but with the mixed reviews and low availability I decided to wait no more and pulled the trigger on Rift S. It was the only gen 1.5 option available on the market in my country.

And that's how I stepped into the vr world. I would probably wait some more if I was upgrading.

Intel i9-9900k 5.0GHz · Gainward RTX2080Ti 11GB Phoenix GS · AsRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate · Benq 4K 32" PD3200U · Samsung 970 PRO 1TB M.2 PCIe · 2x Seagate ST2000DX002 2TB · 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V 3200MHz CL14 · SoundBlaster ZX · Windows 10 · HOTAS Warthog · SAITEK Pedals · RIFT S

I decided to wait no more and pulled the trigger on Rift S. It was the only gen 1.5 option available on the market in my country.

gen 1 was 2016.

now after 3 years we are at gen 1.5.

when is gen 2 expected, in 2022 ?

Edited by etherbattx

• 2 weeks later...

Just bumping it up in case anyone missed to vote.