How to set a pre-defined view and zoom level in the cockpit

rickberry49

When looking around (cockpit or outside) I use NUM 5 (VIEW CENTER) to recenter the view looking straight out the cockpit and follow that with NUM ENTER to reset the zoom (ZOOM NORMAL). I have NUM5 mapped to a button on my joystick (Saitek 52) and this works most of the time but I have had strange results where the reset view is looking down way to much and the zoom is in way to much...

Is there a way to define the center view AND zoom level I want then save this view configuration as the DEFAULT CENTER VIEW or (any view port) I'm not fussy and then map this view command to a single button on the joysitck? OR can we combine commands into a single button on the joystick (ie. create a multi command aka MACRO)?

In panic situations it is nice to be able to snap right back to a front looking view at a predefined zoom value...

Any ideas are welcome, but details please, new user and not comfortable with editing LUA files yet.

Thanks in advance

I posted this in the obscure question STICKY thread but most of that dates back to 2010 and some 4000 posts??? Not sure if anyone uses that now?

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Snap_views

You only need to edit a single LUA file (1 line from true to false).

You can edit the default viewpoint (num5) with this. You can also set up a number of preconfigured viewpoints for the other numkeys. I personally use it to look at the CDU and radio's etc. You'd need to enter snapview mode for that. I rebinded that to the numpad decimal key.

Check my F-15C guide

Thanks for the feedback!!!!

However, the directions from

http://en.wiki.eagle.ru/wiki/Snap_views#Customising_the_Default_View

need to be updated or ???

the View.lua file in : C:\DCS_World\Config\View does not contain the command string UseDefaultSnapViews = true

Nor can I find any file with this command line in it.

I did find the command ["userSnapView"] = True, ( I changed it to False ) in my user file

C:\Users\Rick\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Options.lua

I was able to change the default view for NUM 5 but..... it only saves the view vector and not the zoom level. So when I try to snap back to the desired view, I do get the direction OK but if I was zoomed in on something I must then manually reset my zoom level to return to the desired view. In the heat of battle the less I need to diddle with views the better.

So either the directions need to be updated, or I don't understand (most likely the case)

I suppose a suggestion or ?? to the developers would be to provide a way to link several commands onto a single button. ie Left MCFD osb 18 then OSB 18 again to select a MAV then Right MCFD MAV to be ready to slew it to target.

For now I would just be happy to be able to return to a pre-set view direction AND ZOOM level.

Any other suggestions, options, etc... greatly appreciated...!!

Happy hunting..

I'm not sure if that needs updating. It's been a long time since I set it up.

Are you trying to look at distant objects or cockpit avionics or the HUD? Instead of using zoom I used to move the camera around through the 6dof cockpit by holding down the middle mouse button.

Check my F-15C guide

Thanks for the feedback!!!!

I suppose a suggestion or ?? to the developers would be to provide a way to link several commands onto a single button. ie Left MCFD osb 18 then OSB 18 again to select a MAV then Right MCFD MAV to be ready to slew it to target.

For now I would just be happy to be able to return to a pre-set view direction AND ZOOM level.

Any other suggestions, options, etc... greatly appreciated.

You ought to be able to map a warthog HOTAS switch so that a single press produces a series of key presses.

If I use the combination of NUM 5 (sets the view direction out the front thru the HUD) and then NUM ENTER key (sets the zoom level to cover a major portion of the front console, and a bit of the left and right panels). This is probably fine for you young wipper snappers... but for this old fart I need to be zoomed more into the HUD so I can see the info better.

I'd like to establish the view direction and zoom level I need then save this setting (somehow) and map it to my FIRE C (BTN5) on the Saitek Joy stick. I use the mouse to zoom and pan around the cockpit and view outside but being able to snap back quickly to my primary view would be a great help.

The way I do it now is to NUM 5 then NUM Enter then NUM * to zoom in a bit on the HUD.

Three key strokes to get back to a desired view is a bit much for us old farts...!!

Having the ability to string multiple commands together and map to a single key or button would greatly simplify many repetitive tasks that occur over the course of a flight or combat situation.

Is it possible to make this setting in a LUA file somewhere? I'm not a GEEK programmer but have done some coding. So if this is possible please include details. I have, so far, been able to change the daytime hud color to BLACK and the night color to a brighter RED/PINK that also works well for daylight. So I do have some (very limited) skills here. I also do have the NOTEPAD++ editor for LUA files.

Thanks again for any and all replies or suggestions???

Instead of trying to save the "zoom" level set the seat position (move the seat fwd-bck) and save that. You get the same effect of seeing more or less cockit with no distortion.

-Pv-

Edited by -Pv-

I got the view and zoom saved to the default but....

It takes 2 key strokes to return to the saved view...

NUM 5 gets me looking in the right direction ie straight out the hud

NUM ENTER restores the saved zoom level...

Better ....!!!! but....

There has to be a simple way of combining NUM5 + NUM ENTER into a single button on the stick???

Now I've done it....

Trying to combine NUM 5 + NIM ENTER I've managed to bugger up the NUM ENTER, it no longer returns to the saved zoom level... NUM 5 brings back the view direction but NUM ENTER does nothing to the zoom level. So if I change view and zoom in NUM 5 brings me back to straight out the HUD but what ever zoom level I was at is no longer reset by NUM ENTER ???

Tried running the snap view routine again but now it's buggered up. Can't figure out where the NUM ENTER key is defined ???

OK found the Keyboard.diff.lua and corrected the inadvertent mistake in deleting the NUM ENTER function.

FYI all... I use a program called BEYOND COMPARE

http://scootersoftware.com/

It compares 2 files and shows the diffs in a great GUI... I think it cost me $25 but I've used it forever and it has save my butt a million times.

Whenever I edit a system file I make a revision copy

ie Keyboard.diff.lua >> Keyboard.diff.lua.r00

Then I proceed to edit the Keyboard.diff.lua version and save it. If I want to see what changes were made COMPARE shows me, both what I've done and any changes by the system, In this case DCS removed my NUM ENTER key ( thru my dumb mistake ) but none the less the change was very easy to find...

Well worth a look...!!!

In any case I'm still faced with hitting 2 keys to get back to the view & zoom desired...

At least now I have the zoom I need (a little closed than the system default)... Will press on to find a single key solution...

Cheers... and happy hunting... check out the COMPARE program well worth a look...

• 2 years later...
The steps are:

- Change the line "UseDefaultSnapViews = false"of \Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View\View.lua

- Select the view and zoom desired

- Press LWin+Num desired

- Press RAlt+Num0

The View.lua file is now in a different location but it does not seem to work in the current build. Still unable to set default zoom.

The steps are:

- Change the line "UseDefaultSnapViews = false"of \Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World\Config\View\View.lua

- Select the view and zoom desired

- Press LWin+Num desired

- Press RAlt+Num0

The View.lua file is now in a different location but it does not seem to work in the current build. Still unable to set default zoom.

This is a very old thread Brzi

You can turn on the user save snap views under the miscellaneous section.

Then pause Trackir and recenter view. Move the view and the zoom level to what you want then Press Hold RALT and hit --> Num0.

This is the new default recenter and zoom.

attachment.php?attachmentid=184818&stc=1&d=1526704962

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link