After the Tomcat?

carss

Indeed, besides the Tornado the Aardvark is also my best bet, also I personally don't like it much. Like the Tornado it has multicrew (-> JESTER AI), a ground mapping radar (-> Viggen technology) and sweep wings (-> Tomcat tech).

But the Tornado also has thrust reverser (-> Viggen tech).

If it comes down to F-111 or Tornado I hope we get a german one. I want that MW-1

Translation

As nice as either of those would be, can't see either one getting made. FWIW I flew on the BUFF IRL, maintained the Bone and conducted flight test on both the Bone and BUFF.

- The EWO station on the BUFF is marked classified

- How to operate the DSO station on the Bone probably won't be public domain either

- Both aircraft are very WSO/NAV centered airframes, pilots are bus drivers

- The BUFF has terrible handling qualities (it was always really fun to watch the fighter TPS studs attempt to fly the BUFF on Qual Evals ;) )

- With FBW and Stab Aug off the Bone can be nasty also

- The systems on both are way more redundant and complex than a fighter, fighters step to the jet 40-45 min prior to take off. We always stepped 90 min to 2 hours prior

My guess is a Vark or Tonka

What is bone, buff, stab aug, fbw, ewo, dso, tps studs...............:huh:

I have no clue if this has been talked about I may have missed it.

But what about the SU-24, it is multicrew, swept wing and adds another Russian aircraft which DCS needs.

Definitely not a bad bet. It's the russian Tornado :D

If it comes down to F-111 or Tornado I hope we get a german one. I want that MW-1

Me too!

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

The best we can hope for right now is that it is being developed under NDA by someone unknown. Some 3rd parties like LN and RAZBAM can be ruled out outright as candidates, since they have outright denied or gotten denied development of the MiG-23.

Before the split LN did state that they had plans to develop a MiG-23, but that something else would come first. However since then they have underwent an organisational reform and a split, so a few years old plan to develop the MiG-23 is likely to have been dumped in the process.

But I would love to be wrong, the MiG-23 is, much like the Tornado, just too iconic to be left out of DCS.

DCS: MiG-23

[sIGPIC]

[/sIGPIC]

Make it happen, and take my money! :D

I have a hunch feeling that the next aircraft is going to be either the F-111 or the Panavia Tornado. Both excellent aircraft, altough I have a slight preference for the former.

Either way, I am really excited for the Tomcat -- 2018 is going to be great for DCS, can't wait for the release.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

There was a post pointing to the russian part of the forum where a ED guy was confirming(?) that ED will do the Mig-23 and Mig-27 and that no 3rd Party developer will be doing them - if google translate worked correct.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3314920&postcount=1114

Modules: KA-50, A-10C, FC3, UH-1H, MI-8MTV2, CA, MIG-21bis, FW-190D9, Bf-109K4, F-86F, MIG-15bis, M-2000C, SA342 Gazelle, AJS-37 Viggen, F/A-18C, F-14, C-101, FW-190A8, F-16C, F-5E, JF-17, SC, Mi-24P Hind, AH-64D Apache, Mirage F1, F-4E Phantom II

System: Win 11 Pro 64bit, Ryzen 3800X, 32gb RAM DDR4-3200, PowerColor Radeon RX 6900XT Red Devil ,1 x Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe, 2 x Samsung SSD 2TB + 1TB SATA, MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals - VIRPIL T-50CM and VIRPIL MongoosT-50 Throttle - HP Reverg G2, using only the latest Open Beta, DCS settings

What is bone, buff, stab aug, fbw, ewo, dso, tps studs...............:huh:

Officers who arrive at pilot training in USAF aren't worthy of being called students, hence student is reduced to "studs". That carries over to Test Pilot School, where a large part of the syllabus is flying aircraft unfamiliar to the studs, which is why F-16 and F-15 guys would fly B-52's, but enough off topic.

More potential challenges for the next plane to be a bomber:

B-1B (Bone)

- 4 crew, Pilot (P), Co-pilot (CP), Offensive system's Operator (OSO), Defensive Systems Operator (DSO)

- Phased array radar (passive), , A2G, SAR, terrain following and A2A; plus some modes are interleaved

- Complex flight controls, 2 channel Fly-by-wire (FBW) with manual reversion. Multiple stability augmentation (Stab Aug) modes SIS - Stall Inhibitor Systems, SEF - Stability Enhancement Function, Pitch Aug, Roll Aug, Yaw Aug, SMCS - Structural Mode Control System to name a few

B-52 (BUFF)

- 5 crew (6 ejection seats) Pilot (P), Co-pilot (CP), Electronic Warfare Officer (EW or EWO), Gunner (G - guns removed Oct 1991, seat remains), Radar Navigator (RN - the bombardier), Navigator (N)

- Crosswind landing gear

- Modeling the handling properties behind the tanker, the wing is large enough to interact with the tanker's vortex and the plane handles differently than when up and away

Enough of reminiscing about bombers. The radar, multi-crew, engines, mitigate towards F-111, Tornado, or Su-24. Of the 3, one is no longer in service and much of the documentation is easily available. The main new tech would be auto TFR and the Pave Tack targeting pod (if the F model is modeled). I think the F-111 is an option, so is the Su-24, but not sure how much documentation is available for the later and if a license would be granted.

Edited by mkellytx

Of the 3, one is no longer in service and much of the documentation is easily available. The main new tech would be auto TFR and the Pave Tack targeting pod (if the F model is modeled). I think the F-111 is an option, so is the Su-24, but not sure how much documentation is available and if a license would be granted.

Just making sure: You're talking about the F-111 here, right?

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Plus the Kormoran missiles on those neat Marineflieger birds.

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Plus the Kormoran missiles on those neat Marineflieger birds.

And HARMs!

I've also heard, that british Tornados did not have the ability to project overlay the moving map onto the ground mapping radar picture, unlike other Tornados. Does anyone know if that is true?

Tornado3 small.jpg

I doubt Heatblur will make a Phantom as Belsimtek is already working on one. The differences beteen the navy and the air force variants are too slim imho.

Unfortunately, the differences are large enough for them to have said that they have no intention of doing the naval version :(

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]