TGP laser overheat? No indication

D4n

Lasing for F-18C's mavericks currently is very unreliable. What's the max laser range, and can it overheat? If it overheats, isn't there any indication on the MPCD?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

Max laser range seems to be around 8Nm as reported by other users.

It looks like it is currently a DCS World limitation...

Ah interesting, thanks. Any theory/experience with "overheating" ?

DCS Wishlist: 2K11 Krug SA-4 Ganef SAM, VR-TrackIR icons next to player names in score-chart

PvP: 100+ manual player-kills with Stingers on a well known dynamic campaign server - 100+ VTOL FARP landings & 125+ hours AV-8B, F-14 crew, royal dutch airforce F-16C - PvP campaigns since 2013

DCS server-admins: please adhere to a common sense gaming industry policy as most server admins throughout the industry do. (After all there's enough hostility on the internet already which really doesn't help anyone. Thanks.)

Dell Visor VR headset, Ryzen 5 5600 (6C/12T), RTX 2060 - basic DCS-community rule-of-thumb: Don't believe bad things that a PvP pilot claims about another PvP pilot without having analyzed the existing evidence

I don't know for over-heating.

But be aware that there is a strange bug. If you point a target past the laser max range, the AGM-65E will go to the "end" of the laser beam in mid air. :music_whistling:

Mirage fanatic !

I7-7700K/ MSI RTX3080/ RAM 64 Go/ SSD / TM Hornet stick-Virpil WarBRD + Virpil CM3 Throttle + MFG Crosswind + Reverb G2.

Flickr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/gp/71068385@N02/728Hbi

aha? Never seen that bug xD Sure that that's the case with A-10C TGPs and the current -65E maverick?

aha? Never seen that bug xD Sure that that's the case with A-10C TGPs and the current -65E maverick?

Yes.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=221741

Modules: FC3, A-10C, M2000C, MiG-21bis, F-86F, AV-8B NA, F/A-18C, F-14A/B, F-16C, F-15E, F-4E, A-29, Eurofighter Typhoon, A-6E, MiG-23MLA, Nevada, Persian Gulf, South Atlantic, Syria, Afghanistan

Specs: Intel i7 2600K, Nvidea GTX 980, 16GB RAM, NVMe SSD, Saitek X-55, TrackIR 5, Samsung Odyssey VR

I have had issues before with the laser not working. I was buddy lasing for a group of 3 other harriers doing runs for practice dropping LGB. About 30-40 minutes into the mission no one could pick up my laser any more. Not sure if it was an error on my part or overheating. I got no indication of an error.

Just chiming in with similar issue as Mesha44.

While buddy lasing for extended period, and with long duration lasing (30sec - ~2min), the laser will start to act up. In particular it will activate for a couple seconds (L indicator on TGP screen blinks 3 - 4 times) then automatically deactivates.

Happened more than once.

Edit: Ah, woops. Didn't realize this post was in the AV-8 forums. I'm having this issue in the A-10C.

Edited by Rook_US

Yes but iirc in DCS Su-25T there is indicator and countdown for when laser is ready-to-fire again. right? Not like that in DCS AV-8B currently...

Laser overheating could depend on the laser technology used. Modern laser designators use DPSS lasers (diode pumped solid state; Nd:YAG), which have much lower power consumption (and thus lower heat emission) than older gas based IR lasers (e.g. He-Ne tubes).

Me reading this post

ZD8xrNX.gif

Good info though, thanks. I'll take your word for it. You sound like you know what you're talking about.

Aurora R7 || i7K 8700K || 2TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s || 2TB M.2 PCIe x4 SSD || GTX 1080 Ti with 11GB GDDR5X || Windows 10 Pro || 32GB Dual Channel DDR4 at 2667MHz || Virpil Warbird Base || Virpil T-50 Stick || Virpil MT-50 Throttle || Thrustmaster TPR Pedals || Oculus Rift