gtx1070 and normandy

voodooman

Your settings are rather the entrance into a world of pain like visility = ultra, this is certainly the last thing I would start with somebody's my fps were bothering him. Also why is heatblur and global illumination off?

Lastly I cannot interpret your diagrams because there is no labelling .. this always drove my professors nuts.

@burning bridges

visibility ultra = visibility range affects vram and ram. i have enough both to have it on ultra and even some to spare. this thread is for gtx1070 and 16gigs of ram is generally recommended. 8gb vram of 1070 and 16gb system ram CAN handle ultra with other settings as mentioned in the 1st post.

Global illumination = i like it better without it.

heat blur = huge fps killer in airfields with jets taxiing and taking off

and what you mean the graphs are not labeled? every graph is labeled at the top right corner of each column.

Edited by voodooman

subscribing... I've tried this, and it's helped quite a bit.

Try with V-Sync "fast" in the Nvidia settings instead. It is almost the same as not having any vsync but prevents tearing as it matches the lowest refresh of the monitor but not always. In my case 60 frames. Normal vsync can create some jerkiness as it tries to force the same framerate all the time.

GTX1070 and 388.13 here as well. I agree with BurnigBridges' doubts to some extent.

Testing while sitting in a parked Spit at Lessay aifield with clutter at default "high" figure of 1000, "ultra" visibility range causes 6-10 fps drop compared to "high" (1200p rez, in-cockpit view, less in external, but we're not playing Warthunder, are we? :D ), even before starting the engine and going anywhere. Is it too much or not, depends on treshold fps one's aiming for.

As for the cockpit global lighting, having it "off" saves about 7-8 fps, but also completely messes up the ligting and shading of cockpits (attachments below, pay attention to radio box , gauges and the wires on the right), so I would still recommend having it "on" for much better visual quality.

All and all, Normandy is still a stutter fest compared to Nevada (not to mention butter smooth 1.5.7), at least down low when panning with TrackIR, but there have been some improvement lately. I've never tried this "fast sync" thingy, using adaptive up to that point. Sounds intereting. I'm going to turn it on and do a few test flights this evening.

global_off.thumb.jpg.a94313b5ca2997ecf70fda0f5e8ce487.jpg

global_on.thumb.jpg.660585ffe55c1f9f70cdf388ffed6d73.jpg

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 2 weeks later...

@ Art-J

I've done some more testing and it seems i can have MIRRORS and Global Illumination ON, and still stay @ 60 FPS with V-Sync. To be exact if you want to stay @60 all the time with V-Sync ON you should stay above 70 without it, preferably above 80 fps. Dunno why there has to be that extra 10-20 fps "safe buffer" without V-sync to stay @ 60 with it, but that's how it seems to be atm.

BUT, those fraction of a second pauses or micro lag spikes, that I still get sometimes no matter what, are noticeable more frequent with Global Illumination ON.

The mirrors i keep on even though they have a slight negative effect in a similar manner, but i can live with it.

So i will be playing without GI for now at least, we'll see how the game improves in time. besides for me it brings mostly just more saturation, that im not a big fan of in any games.

IMO most games have way too much saturation especially in dark colours, and i dont like it. i know it's there to fight the "light bleed" (of LCD motitors) for dark surfaces/dark enviroments.

But in bright daylight (in game world), it doesnt seem right to me. maybe because my eyes are old or because i play in pitch black room where the monitor is the only source of light, or that my motitor is a LED type. whatever, but it's not my cup of tea.

And if I would want to have it, my monitors gaming mode does pretty much the same thing without any fps cost. but because of my preference i use photo mode instead, for me it makes the lighting feel more natural.

Threfore i suggest to try out what you can achieve with your monitor settings combined with the gamma slider ingame, you might be surprised how much you can improve the visuals without any fps cost ;)

But the point being, have the global illumination on if you wish but it propably affects the smoothness of the gameplay somewhat.

That's why I dont update the settings in the first post with the mirrors and GI (even tough I decided to have the mirrors on), those settings are to get the smoothest possible gameplay with the GTX 1070.

Best wishes

Voodooman

Edited by voodooman

Last week I switched back to no in-game MSAA, but FXAA & SMAA injected via Reshade instead. Shimmering and general image quality drop is a bit of a problem, obviously, but stutters are pretty much gone on both 2.1.1 maps, so it's the "lesser of two evils" I suppose for my 1070.

Also, switched to fast sync instead of V-sync. Not much of a difference in DCS it seems (as far as stuttering is concerned), but bloody fantastic solution for racing sims, how the hell did I miss this option earlier?

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

• 4 weeks later...