Best bolt on seats

heloguy

Hello all,

I just purchased a new sim it from Monstertech to replace my Obutto Ozone. I know I could probably just take the seat from my Obutto to bolt onto the new rig, but I think I would like to have the option to either have two separate setups, or get rid of the complete Ozone set after I get the Monstertech set.

At any rate, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions for a goo seat to bolt onto the rig based on experience with your builds. From what I understand, it doesn''t have to be anything special, just basically like a car or racing seat that has adjustable tracks on the bottom for fore/aft adjustment.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Are you using monitors or VR?

I do use VR, which demands quite a bit of shuffling around. Bucket seats are nor really optimal. I would favor a flat seat back. Basically any car seat will do. I got something cheap online and hope to modify it (trim the foam) as necessity dictates.

Generally I play DCS in VR, but I do play sims on a monitor as well.

Did you buy something from eBay, or new from an online store?

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Bought the cheapest I could find new. Another point to consider, is your controller center-mounted or a side stick? If center mounted, make sure the seat part is not too long so as to interfere with an eventual need to lower the stick mount. Some seats may allow for the foam to be trimmed under the center mount so as to lower the stick a lot more. If you do use a sidestick or a throttle quadrant on the side, consider using a flat seat back. The "huggy" ones, while looking cool are not really practical if you need to move your arms forward and back a lot, or if you need to move around a lot to check 6 or something.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like a nice seat. Was there a center mounted stick in that motion sim?

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Well, that happens to be the seat I am using too. But not on a motion platform.

I do use a center mounter Warthog, pressed just flush against the top of the seat cushion. That would be the maximal height I could use it efficiently. If I were to use any extensions I would have to trim the foam to allow for lowering the control stick mount (and I do plan to do just that).

The seat is a good but not perfect choice. While economical, with a convenient back angle adjustment and seat sliding mechanism, the "ergo" shape is not helpful for flight sims if you mainly use VR, reason being they somewhat restrict (but do not impede) twisting and turning on seat to look behind you. Not a deal-breaker but worth keeping in mind. You get what you pay for in this case. (Not always true when purchasing more expensive seats)