FreeTrack and A-10C (64bt) HeadTracker Implementation

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about "freetrack_shared_mem.exe" file?

I must remind that (may be you did already), in zip file, there's freetrack_shared_mem.exe file.

1) Copy it into FreeTrack folder. And create a shortcut on desktop.

2) Right click on shortcut, enter the Properties. See target line, and type 60 at the end of the command line. This should be seen: "C:\Program Files (x86)\FreeTrack\freetrack_shared_mem.exe" 60

That's it. Always start FreeTrack by clicking this shortcut.

And, I don't see TrackIR column in Options/Controllers window, either.

As far as I understand, this freetrack_shared_mem.exe is actually from an earlier version of the implementation and was rendered useless in the latest version of samtheeagle's headtracker implementation. Am I mistaken?

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

FreeTrack in DCS A10C (64bit): samttheeagle's headtracker.dll

If I'm not wrong, I did try lastest version. But I couldn't get it worked.

Then I returned to binary.zip file that contains *mem.exe

Actually, tonight I'll try again. Thanks.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

Just to make sure we're talking about the same things here.

The latest version is the one linked in post #28, right?

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1234317&postcount=28

Core i5-760 @ 3.6Ghz, 4GB DDR3, Geforce GTX470, Samsung SATA HDD, Dell UH2311H 1920x1080, Saitek X52 Pro., FreeTrack homemade cap w/ LifeCam VX-1000, Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1.

Yes I think so. Lastest version was in the post you mentioned above.

But... Thank you Boulund for wake me up!

I tried this binary file in the post #28. It works now...

Wierd; It didn't before... I really don't understand... But, thanks again... :)

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

• 2 weeks later...

Because keyboard view and FreeTrack try to do same thing. So, keyboard inputs conflict with FT. (I think - that's my diagnosis.)

I use snapshot views on numeric-keyboard when using FreeTrack.

I moved snapshot shurtcuts from LAlt to surface. I mean they were used with LAlt+numerics. I moved them directly to numeric keys. So, you can see the panels or lef/right window rapidly by only one press.

• 1 month later...
Sam, I do not know about ppjoy since I never use it.

and yes you can assign "zoom view" to any button on your hotas.

but these are not the point.

The point is:

I need freetrack appears in the option screen so that I can reassign the "z axis" to "zoom view".

if you lean forward in dcsbs and a10c,

by default you do not zoom the view,

you only move your head forward in the cockpit.

if you use trackirfixer on dcsbs or a10c(32bit),

then you will find this in option screen > controls > axis command, on the TrackIR section :

"Absolute Horizontal Shift Camera View" assigned to "TRACKIR X"

"Absolute Vertcal Shift Camera View" assigned to "TRACKIR Y"

"Absolute Longitude Shift Camera View" assigned to "TRACKIR Z"

These are the default.

Then, I usually change "TRACKIR Z" to "Zoom View".

Now I can zoom, if I lean forward.

However, now with your solution, there is none on option screen that I can change.

That's why I need freetrack appears in the option screen so that I can reassign the "z axis" to "zoom view".

I hope you understand now.

Go to

C:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS A-10C\Config\Input\Aircrafts\A-10C\headtracker\

open default with notepad++

replace line ....HEADTRACKER_Z....

with this:

{combos = {{key = 'HEADTRACKER_Z'}}, action = iCommandViewZoomAbs, name = 'Zoom View'},

and the zoom works fine.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I've got FT to work inside Black Shark 2, as it correctly shows in the menu (I can even tune te axis, and they move when I turn my head. The problem is that when I go in-game nothing works. Any clues? I'm using latest binaries (post #28 ).

EDIT: Solved, I was putting th efiles in the bin directory instead of the headtracker one.

Edited by nuNce

• 3 months later...

ok, so any step-by-step instructions for using free track with dcs a-10?

I have a ps3 eyecam, and a custom made 3 point clip with 3 red leds.

I just need to know what files do I use, where do I put them, and what free-track version do I install.

also, some settings would help heh

thanks

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

I got free track running, and I've put the headtracker in the correct place, but no head movement inside the game. what else should i do?

Rafael

Ryzen 7 1800x @ 4ghz | MSI GTX 980ti | 32gb DDR4 Ballistix 2400Mhz | Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero (wi-fi) | 480Gb Kingston NVMe ssd | Western Digital 1TB x2 | EVGA 850w PSU | Noctua NH-D14 | NZXT S240 | Windows 10 Pro 64bit | 4k 50" Philips android TV | Dell P2418D | Oculus Rift S | Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas

Step by step guide to enable FreeTrack in DCS World

There seems to be some people having trouble getting FreeTrack to work with DCS World (64bit).

Here are a couple of steps I used to make it work for me (your mileage may vary). I attached a version of headtracker.dll created by SamTheEagle (published in this thread) to this post. It also contains a text-file with instructions where I added a part on modifying your Input.lua.

1. Download the required headtracker.dll (a copy of SamTheEagle's version is attached to this post)
  2. Put it and headtracker.prefs in ..\DCS World\bin\headtracker\ (create the directory if it does not exist)
  3. Edit your ..\DCS World\Scripts\Input.lua on line 27 so the path to headtracker.dll is correct (make sure it points to your installation directory if you used a non-standard path). Make sure to use a proper editor like Notepad++ to make your changes (NOT regular windows Notepad).

Good luck!

You could probably also use the headtracker.dll from the FaceTrackNoIR-project as well, though I haven't tried this.

HeadTracker-By-SamTheEagle.zip

Thanks Boulund.

Hey guys, I want to increase a little bit the X movement of 6DOF in DCS World Blackshark2. I can't approach the windows enough like in previous version of BS.

I've messed with view.lua and server.lua files. But I couldn't get any response.

Could you please show me the way (or the thread if there is)?

Thank you.

Edited by Devrim

• 4 weeks later...

I have FreeTrack 2.2, Windows 7 64bit, DCSWorld 1.2.0

None of the instructions above works. Is there a special trick?

And while we are at it... why do we need to wrestle with this settings to use Freetrack in the first place?? Do users of Saitek or Logitech Joysticks shall face same tortures just because DCS A10 uses Trustmaster Warthog HOTAS as preffered Input controller?

Seriously... for some smart guys that made a webcam sensor and a formula fit into a graphical interface and call it "invention", we the rest of the world have to fight these "obstructions" (really, they are just obstructions, nothing else).

What is what they'll do when facetracknoir will work on any PC? Or when Oculus will go to the market? What "those guys" will do? More Obstructions?

And for what? 1000$? 10 000$?

pfffff....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

I have FreeTrack 2.2, Windows 7 64bit, DCSWorld 1.2.0

None of the instructions above works. Is there a special trick?

And while we are at it... why do we need to wrestle with this settings to use Freetrack in the first place?? Do users of Saitek or Logitech Joysticks shall face same tortures just because DCS A10 uses Trustmaster Warthog HOTAS as preffered Input controller?

Seriously... for some smart guys that made a webcam sensor and a formula fit into a graphical interface and call it "invention", we the rest of the world have to fight these "obstructions" (really, they are just obstructions, nothing else).

What is what they'll do when facetracknoir will work on any PC? Or when Oculus will go to the market? What "those guys" will do? More Obstructions?

And for what? 1000$? 10 000$?

pfffff....

Considering that an API was written especially for the FT to interface with A-10C, it would seem the support for the FT should come from the FT developer.

City Hall is easier to fight, than a boys' club - an observation :P

"Resort is had to ridicule only when reason is against us." - Jefferson

"Give a group of potheads a bunch of weed and nothing to smoke out of, and they'll quickly turn into engineers... its simply amazing."

EVGA X99 FTW, EVGA GTX980Ti FTW, i7 5930K, 16Gb Corsair Dominator 2666Hz, Windows 7 Ultimate 64Bit, Intel 520 SSD x 2, Samsung PX2370 monitor and all the other toys

-

"I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar"

I got free track running, and I've put the headtracker in the correct place, but no head movement inside the game. what else should i do?

Try alt-tab to windows and adjust the sensitivity sliders on freetrack and then return to the game. I find that when i start dcs it selects another profile reseting everything, if i minimize dcs and reselect my custom profile on freetrack then everything is fine

• 1 month later...

Hi...

I'm speaking for v.1.2.2 (7286); I didn't need to edit Input.lua

I've just copied headtracker files into Mods and bin folders. That's it.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I've got FT to work inside Black Shark 2, as it correctly shows in the menu (I can even tune te axis, and they move when I turn my head. The problem is that when I go in-game nothing works. Any clues? I'm using latest binaries (post #28 ).

EDIT: Solved, I was putting th efiles in the bin directory instead of the headtracker one.

Whoa wait, you can tune Freetrack within BS2? How/where?

• 2 weeks later...

I can't get this thing to work. I have the Track Clip Pro and Free Track 2.2. I've downloaded and installed Jacksos101's Headtracker dll ( http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1448435&postcount=68 ), updated the input.lua, have Free Track running in the background, and nothing works. No head movement in any aircraft. I'm kind of lost here. Is there some kind of key combo I'm supposed to press ingame? I thought this was drag, drop, edit, and play?

Hi KingKenny,

as I understand, it is not necessary anymore to change the input.lua.

I guess you will succeed when you change it back to its original state.

'NewInput.setHeadTrackerDllPath('./bin/headtracker/headtracker.dll')'

Greets

Bexx0r

ASUS P8P67 Deluxe --- Win8.1 Pro 64Bit ---i7-2600K @ 3,4GHz --- 12GB RAM --- NVidia GFX670 --- TM HOTAS WARTHOG --- Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals --- PS3 Eye Cam (modified) --- 3-point Track Clip --- FacetrackNoIR 1.72

Hi KingKenny,

as I understand, it is not necessary anymore to change the input.lua.

I guess you will succeed when you change it back to its original state.

'NewInput.setHeadTrackerDllPath('./bin/headtracker/headtracker.dll')'

Greets

Bexx0r

Worked like a charm! It's a little twitchy and jerky, is there anything I can do about that in the sensitivity settings? Or is that just a limitation of the software?

KingKenny04, however I've said "no need to edit Input.lua" just in previous page (12). :)

By the way, what do you mean about "sensitivity"? It's too sensitive or not?

Guys I bought a PS3 Eye yesterday and I want to use FaceTrackingNoIR until I can get my clip up and running. The problem is there's too much jitter and shaking when tracking, especially when my head is still. I've used quite a few headtracking.dll's but I don't think that would cause the issues, it's probably more to do with the curves and sensitivity etc.

Could someone with a similar setup provide their .ini file so I can achieve smooth FaceTracking as seen in quite a number of test videos.

Edit: One thing I've been wondering. Must I set Fake TrackIR or Freetrack as the protocol? After some more reasearch around these parts I found spikenet's settings, and he has Fake TrackIR set as the protocol, but when I set Fake TrackIR as the protocol tracking didn't work at all. Is that setting reserved for when you have an IR Clip and you don't need the seperate FreetrackIR program?

Edited by SyntaxError

RimOnBlue.png

F/A-18C - A-10C - FC3 - L-39C/ZA - Ka-50 - UH-1H - Mi-8MTV2 - F-86F - Spitfire - P-51D - P-47D - BF-109K - CA