Warthog afterburner detent from Shapeways arrived

sobe

My Warthog afterburner detent from Shapeways arrived and so now the question is how do I use it on the F18? Do I set it up so that I press the finger button when I get to the detent?

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

you could have just easely filed the original part.

anyway, they are made so that you simply need to push to go over the step and go into full AB

no button needed. just set the axes properly with a slight curve that puts the AB point just after you have gone over the detent

[sIGPIC]https://forums.eagle.ru/signaturepics/sigpic70550_3.gif[/sIGPIC]

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

you could have just easely filed the original part.

anyway, they are made so that you simply need to push to go over the step and go into full AB

no button needed. just set the axes properly with a slight curve that puts the AB point just after you have gone over the detent

I’m interested in this.. do you have any instructions/photos.

I don’t like having to press a button to go into burner but I don’t have any physical way of knowing when I’m using up all of my fuel ????

I’m interested in this.. do you have any instructions/photos.

I don’t like having to press a button to go into burner but I don’t have any physical way of knowing when I’m using up all of my fuel ????

im not sure what you are talking about. Do you have a warthog throttle ? or a throttle that has a solid detent for AB ?

in the case of the warthog you need to pull the throttle up to go into detent, which can be a pain.

you can either file down the original detent, in order for the throttle to step over it, by just pushing more, or just buying one of those purposly designed detents.

I can show you a pic of mine.

the only thing you need is sand paper, a small file, or even a dremel.

But you need a warthog to begin begin with.

Asus Z390-H - SSD M.2 EVO 970 - Intel I9 @5.0ghz - 32gb DDR4 4000 - EVGA 3090 - Cougar FSSB + Virpil WRBRD + Hornet Stick - Thrustmaster TPR Pedal + WinWing MIP + Orion + TO and CO pannels - Track IR5

Ok thanks I have a warthog with the detent at the start as in the default A10 configuration.

Are you saying that I just need to move the detent? That would be easy I think.

Edit: I’ve just had a look at the throttles and don’t know what I need to do (if anything is possible by default) to move the detent to the top part of the range. I have never had a look inside or removed the detent plate.

Edited by danny875

Doing this is much better than filing the original detent. Works perfectly and you still get to keep your original detent with no risk of filing too much off. Best upgrade I've ever bought for the money... Most of our pilots in CSG use this detent.

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord

Ok thanks I have a warthog with the detent at the start as in the default A10 configuration.

Are you saying that I just need to move the detent? That would be easy I think.

Edit: I’ve just had a look at the throttles and don’t know what I need to do (if anything is possible by default) to move the detent to the top part of the range. I have never had a look inside or removed the detent plate.

if you can buy the detent, do it , but modifying the original detent is child play assuming you have a little manual work experience.

lets get this straight:

right now, do you have a physical detent that stops the throttle at the upper part of the thottle range, that you have to lift the throttle up to pass ?

if not, you need to remove the upper plate of the throttle (the one in between the two throttle, with the 2 allen screws), and invert the detent in the longitudinal way.

at this point you will have a physical detent to go into afterburner. to pass this step, you need to lift the throttles up. with the proper filing down of the detent, or the replacement of it, you can simply push more and the throttles will 'pass' the step physically.

finally, you need to set a slight axis curve into DCS, to make sure that both your throttles goes into AB as soon as you pass this step.

If you wanna do this, I can guide you step by step-

Personally I would file/shave it and if you need the unmodified one at some time then buy it. With a sharp knife it takes a couple minutes. Shave, test, repeat.

127501333_2018-08-1716_53_03.thumb.jpg.37808bc3e8ac46152ad861c065fd7bf5.jpg

1920839182_2018-08-1716_53_10.thumb.jpg.34fcbce0f65cb03bb2625c6df2621212.jpg

1144755708_2018-08-1716_53_46.thumb.jpg.dea44baa758819c2d5b5f2ce67d95746.jpg

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

if you can buy the detent, do it , but modifying the original detent is child play assuming you have a little manual work experience.

lets get this straight:

right now, do you have a physical detent that stops the throttle at the upper part of the thottle range, that you have to lift the throttle up to pass ?

if not, you need to remove the upper plate of the throttle (the one in between the two throttle, with the 2 allen screws), and invert the detent in the longitudinal way.

at this point you will have a physical detent to go into afterburner. to pass this step, you need to lift the throttles up. with the proper filing down of the detent, or the replacement of it, you can simply push more and the throttles will 'pass' the step physically.

finally, you need to set a slight axis curve into DCS, to make sure that both your throttles goes into AB as soon as you pass this step.

If you wanna do this, I can guide you step by step-

I'm amazed at how many Warthog owners don't realize there is a Afterburner detent underneath the plate. If you don't know, you unscrew the plate in between the throttle levels and you can pull out a red plastic piece and flip it around and now you have a lift gate. If you file it, you can push through it. I chose to buy the one above so I still had one that wasn't filed.

Ok I’ve just reversed the lift gate so that it is now at the top part of the throttle movement.

I have set curves of -16 on both throttle axis so that o get 100% throttle before the gate .

My question now is how to get back to a linear throttle (ie remove the curve) but still maintain the functionality of the gate/ AB detent?

I'm amazed at how many Warthog owners don't realize there is a Afterburner detent underneath the plate. If you don't know, you unscrew the plate in between the throttle levels and you can pull out a red plastic piece and flip it around and now you have a lift gate. If you file it, you can push through it. I chose to buy the one above so I still had one that wasn't filed.

RTFM we used to say.

its black and white in the first page of the manual

Ok I’ve just reversed the lift gate so that it is now at the top part of the throttle movement.

I have set curves of -16 on both throttle axis so that o get 100% throttle before the gate .

My question now is how to get back to a linear throttle (ie remove the curve) but still maintain the functionality of the gate/ AB detent?

not easy. because you cant really have a point by point curve.

I feel like the slight curve needed isnt an issue.

I have the thrust curves set to slider with a curvature of 10.

it makes the throttle go into AB as soon as I pass the step.

Taxes_zpskyrl0lwg.png

Edited by FZG_Immel

It only took 16 posts to get my question answered. Not bad. Thanks FZG.

Trackir4 using the latest Trackir 5 software, Win10 Pro [Creator Update] updated from Win7Pro Pro 64Bit, Intel® Core™ i5-2500 3.30 GHz 6M Intel Smart Cache LGA115 , GigaByte GA-Z68XP-UD4 Intel Z68 Chipset DDR3 16GB Ram, GTX MSI Gaming 1060 [6 GB] Video Card, Main Monitor 1 on left 1920x1080 Touchscreen Monitor 2 on right 1920x1080 .

I reverted back to No detent after shaving off the TMWH original one to 'just a tad of bumb'.

Even such a small physical bumb starts to annoy when the F18 flies as it does now, sinking like a ton of bricks when you're off on your spool up anticipation trigger.

I'll try again when you can move the flaps or trim and not have the F18 take a minute for the EFC to adjust, and never the same.

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

I'm amazed at how many Warthog owners don't realize there is a Afterburner detent underneath the plate.

Didn't know that until short after the Hornet release as well, but I bought mine used off eBay without the original box and manual, just did the plug & play thing. Was ~100€ less than a new one and it's in a very good shape.

Anyway, when I first read about it here, I just did a quick search and found this:

Just for the ones who don't want to read the whole thread, it's about this modification:

Obtainable as a 3D printed model here: https://www.shapeways.com/

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I use these complex curves to marry up the in-game detent with the physical Shapeways detent. This curves allow for linear travel during the Idle to Mil throttle range. The AB range is slightly curved. The start is also heavily curved but that is not an issue because there appears to be a controller 'deadzone' between the idle, the start of physical travel and when the throttle actually begin to move in game. The steep curve actually eliminates this deadzone.

2086118739_ABDemo2.thumb.png.dbe6f44a148efd652a44fd36deafa149.png

"Lawyer by Profession, Pilot by Heart...and self-confessed Harrier tragic"

I use these complex curves to marry up the in-game detent with the physical Shapeways detent. This curves allow for linear travel during the Idle to Mil throttle range. The AB range is slightly curved. The start is also heavily curved but that is not an issue because there appears to be a controller 'deadzone' between the idle, the start of physical travel and when the throttle actually begin to move in game. The steep curve actually eliminates this deadzone.

gonna try this. thanks