DCS 2.5 with SLI\CROSSFIRE

We used the Dive School in Panama City, FL. Freefall School was my favorite next to the Pathfinder Course. I retired in late 2003 after coming back from Iraq.

I have water cooling on my PC so I think OC'ing is ok but am not sure if I need it. His system sounds like miine. That's why I'd like to know how he is getting those framerates. There are so many opinions it's a crapshoot on what works for who.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Yeah, you over in INPUT/OUTPUT-VR subthread, there are tons of advice on making VR clearer and perform better. I have VR goggles from VR-LENS and it works well. And I use PD of 1.4 or so (if I recall) and don't have any issues. Normandy was terrible a few releases ago, but it's really come along lately in terms of performance. Jabbers has a great video on a VR settings as well. A good place to start.

Freefall is still in Yuma, I'm guessing? But do you guys have your own Pathfinder school? Or do you go to the one in Benning?

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

• 1 month later...

your rig seems really good

Read Rig info below. Mine screams....

2 questions:

1. does the SLI with different cards work well together?

2. the Z37 chipset & CPU combo allow only X16 PCIe lanes, so do you experience bottlenecking due do X8 GPU PCIe saturation?

I try to build a killer system, but budget smart as well: I currently can't decide between a pure gaming rig like the Z370 + Intel 8086K that will sacrifice scalability and expandability like more GPU's, extra USB ports, RAID CPU connected NVMe SSD's.

I could get the X299 chipset with a THREADRIPPER X1950 or a Core i9 with all the shebang and extra cores, but lose valuable FPS and paying a much higher price for this setup.

P-L-E-A-S-E HELP ME FIGURE IT OUT......

some benchmarks maybe, some SLI performance and utilization data and pricing maybe.

I'm at lost here guys :-\

AMD Ryzen 3 3900X @5Ghz

G.Skill 64GB RAM @3200Mhz

nVidia GTX 980ti

SAMSUNG 250GB SATA SSD

Corsair H100i AIO

Conductonaut thermal liquid metal

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & TPR

Leap Motion

even 2 cards that look identical but do not have the same Bios or Revision can cause trouble, it may or may not work reliable. Last incident I had worked but made lots of trouble and work.

I do not think that 2 1080ti in SLI will flood the 8x bus.

If you loose fps or not is directly related to your res and LOD. If you aim at 4k + high LOD you wont loose a single frame, I dare to say even at 2560p and high LOD a 4.xGHz Threadripper XFR2 will suffice. Only when you have a GPU that could drive 4k and highest LOD to CONSTANT upper-limit framerates you would need a faster CPU...and likely a better/faster Monitor too.

I would personally go the Threadripper way this time. Z370 was a rushed chipset, so is the Z390, I am on the 15th Bios (1) and still have issues, heck they get MORE, very very annoying issues btw, like a BRRRRR freeze for 3-5 secs every few hours and such. This is the worst system in a decade when it comes to reliability...and I blame it on the chipset and board, mainly Intel tbh. It's fast, yes, but it also is a nasty Diva, a bitch of the worst kind.

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X