deferred shading and AA/AF work in the 2.5?

Badhorsie53

Try with only MSAA on (no MFAA or SMAA), you should see no difference. Curious about the possibility of SMAA working though.

Almost halfs my fps... So I guess I see a difrence... ????

|AMD 7800x3D | 64GB DDR5-3600| GTX 4090 | Virpil Stick, Collectiv, WW MIP, WW Throttle, MFG Crosswind V2 | Windows 11 64-bit | SSD Samsung | 4K LG Oled 48 | Oculus Q3 | Simlab based Cockpit

MSAA on in NVIDIA, off ingame.

So many combinations to try...

Again the tweaking marathon starts again...

|AMD 7800x3D | 64GB DDR5-3600| GTX 4090 | Virpil Stick, Collectiv, WW MIP, WW Throttle, MFG Crosswind V2 | Windows 11 64-bit | SSD Samsung | 4K LG Oled 48 | Oculus Q3 | Simlab based Cockpit

Anyone?

I am running MSAA x2 with Deferred Shading on in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Anyone?

Nope. Between 13 and 20 fps drop in P-51D cockpit, "Nevada takeoff mission" when switchnig from MSAA x2 to x4, 20-25 fps drop when switching from no MSAA (but FXAA+SMAA) to MSAA x4.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

You're talking about different topic then. Any improvements of fps over Caucasus are result of switching to 2.x.x game engine with its better usage of gfx cards, which is not the subject of this thread.

The rest of us are commenting here strictly on Deferred Shading vs MSAA issue in any post-2.1 version of the game and how to solve it.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Hi guys, since 2.5 I can run the game with msaa 4x with no fps loss at same settings as in 2.2 where I could not get past 2x without being hammered in fps.

Doesnt everyone experience the same in 2.5? For me it seems msaa is fixed when DS is on.

THanks.

MSAA is not fixed at all with DS on, i am running a high end spec (i 7 7700k@5.0 ghz / 1080ti / 32gb ram gskill @3400mhz) with MSAA 2x is acceptable, more than that I would get 70 fps....

• CPU : Intel i7 8700k@5.0ghz cooled by Noctua NH-D15 / Motherboard:Asorck Z370 Taichi / RAM: 32GB GSkill TridentZ @3600mhz / SSD: 500GB Nvme Samsung 970 evo+1 TB Sabrent Nvme M2 / GPU:Asus Strix OC 2080TI / Monitor: LG 34KG950F Ultrawide / Trackir 5 proclip/ VIRPIL CM2 BASE + CM2 GRIP + F148 GRIP + 200M EXTENSION /VKB T-Rudder MKIV rudder /Case: Fractal Design R6 Define black

Ok guys...found my holy grail on my system....

always over 60 fps (vsync on) in Harrier, Normandy, with no edges without msaa

msaa in game off!

...and no ...nothing placebo in my case...:smartass::pilotfly:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/f8l6fk7vnkzyjcs/dcs2.5.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bzi0xri2afdn6pj/DCS2.5NS2.JPG?dl=0

EDIT: Did some more testing, actually it's just the FXAA setting on which makes a difference in quality...Did also some testing with Reshade SMAA and FXAA, but best performance is with just the FXAA in NvidiaInspector On.

McDan out

Did some more testing, edited the original post....:thumbup:

is there a reason why you turned gsync off? also did you still use mfaa as well as fxaa?

On my system, it gives me a very smoother experience...

do you mean MSAA? As you can see in the pictures with settings, it’s turned off, in game and also off in Nvidia inspector....I just turned on FXAA

On my system, it gives me a very smoother experience...

I concur. Despite many people telling me different, my experience is also that G-Sync off is much smoother.

i7-4790k @ 4.4GHZ, 32GB G. Skill Ripjaws DDR-2133 RAM, EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3, Crucial M500 SSD, VKB MCG, TWCS Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5

Oh yeah, this is good. FXAA gives me very good quality with just little performance drop.

The only drawback is that text looks veeeery blurry. Is there a workaround for that?

Thanks.

No, that's exactly how FXAA works. You may want to try and add a sharpening filter through something like reshade, but the more PP effects you pile on top of each other the more artefacts you'll get.

I use FXAA through Nvidia CP, with in-game Deferred shading ON and MSAA off.

This is the only way to have a rock solid 60fps with my 1440p@60hz monitor and with my GTX 1070.

With FXAA i have solid 60 fps even at Batumi area or Las Vegas.

FXAA performs quite well, especially for cockpit and airplane.

I haven't experienced evident blurries at all.

Regards the terrain, it's a bit jagged, expecially distant buildings, river coastlines, electrical lines, roads and runways. But i can live with.

MSAA 2X remains unbeatable at this, but costs too much performance.

At the moment i'm happy with FXAA, much better than no AA at all.

I5-7600K@4,8Ghz - G Skill TridentZ 16Gb 3200 CL14 - Aorus GTX 1080TI - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 - Lenovo 24'' 1440p - Hotas Warthog - TrackIR 5

DCS 2.5 OB - M2000C - Mig21Bis - A10C - FC3 - AJS37 Viggen - F5E - AV8B N/A - F/A18 C - L 39 Albatros - Bf109 - Spitfire - P51D - Black Shark 2 - Nevada - Persian Gulf - Normandy

no, i haven't noticed blurry text (maybe 1440p resolution helps me?)

In the previous 2.2 i used Deferred Shading off, and i was able to use MSAA 2X with perfect performance.

But the new Caucasus looks terrible with DS off.

I5-7600K@4,8Ghz - G Skill TridentZ 16Gb 3200 CL14 - Aorus GTX 1080TI - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB NVMe M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 - Lenovo 24'' 1440p - Hotas Warthog - TrackIR 5

DCS 2.5 OB - M2000C - Mig21Bis - A10C - FC3 - AJS37 Viggen - F5E - AV8B N/A - F/A18 C - L 39 Albatros - Bf109 - Spitfire - P51D - Black Shark 2 - Nevada - Persian Gulf - Normandy

In my opinion is possible that the increased 1440p resolution over 1080p helps to reduce blurry text (i haven't blurriness at all).

Anyone using FXAA on 1080p can helps you to answer your question.

Happy Place

So much good info here and around forums to which settings are working best and seeing some nice photos/videos:)

Currently for me and starting this post I have tried just about every setting for graphics with both AMD 380X to 1080ti, but for sake of argument we'll leave 1080ti out as most times im not on my good rig and 1080 can handle max everything.

It seems on 2x-4x AA and 16x AF, DS (on) DCS has improved in some ways, but when AA on in-game I get funky blue tint/color issue and weird effects at times (like rain effect on sunny day lol, and blue shadows which if blue tint then offsets DCS DS(on) initial appearance and natural lighting. Some may like this, but not I, just weird. Performance also suffers a bit as using old AA technique versus newer game related options FXAA, SMAA or card based options. I'm old so I had to learn about new effect filters myself:) I enjoy DCS to the fullest and the only SIM I play, but I'm probably not up on the latest topics or direction DCS is going in future, just trying to enjoy the experience.

Currently I'm running no in-game AA and 16x AF, DS(on). I'm using ReShade for (FXAA,SMAA) filters as AMD doesn't have these options. Nvidia does have FXAA and effects comparable and Nvidia FXAA a weee bit better. Next I turned down game settings where applicable to give best visual/performance. Like ground textures (low), shadows (medium), etc. tweaked trees/clutter/preload distance to best visuals/performance. Should also mention I'm running 2.2 gamma and trying to keep true to neutral settings without changing gamma. Yes, it's bright, but hey! the sun is bright lol, I know everyones systems are different and tastes. (1.8-2.2) looks good:) and depends on other factors night/day/aircraft/TV/VR many little things to iron out yet. Also your TV/monitor has brightness/contrast/other controls. Remote sometimes easier to tweak brightness quick(lazy).

So back to this graphic thing:) ReShade (SMAA, FXAA) tweaks. SMAA does good job with clarity, but does leave some hard edges comparable to 2xAA, so FXAA helps blurry things up to hide the hard edges. I did tweak each (SMAA,FXAA) settings to find best visual. Both effect are light weight in resources and don't effect performance much. Usually I'm using EdTracker to turn my head in-game and getting 45-60fps and new effects,explosions, objects, etc. don't really hurt frames much in DCS2.5, very nice! I think I could watch explosions on the ground all day lol and for once playing more Combined Arms. Driving in the water rocks! hehe

Here's my Reshade settings if anyone interested:

[FXAA.fx]

Subpix=0.050000

EdgeThreshold=0.250000

EdgeThresholdMin=0.000000

[sMAA.fx]

EdgeDetectionType=1

EdgeDetectionThreshold=0.800000

MaxSearchSteps=98

MaxSearchStepsDiagonal=16

CornerRounding=0

DebugOutput=0

For me at this present time I'm more than satified with DCS 2.5 visuals/performance with exception to bugs and too many to list, but I'm sure mentioned somewhere in the forums and will get fixed in the future. There's many broken things in life that take time to fix, so its not much different I guess. I've flown many aircraft in broken stages throughout my life the only difference is simulation you can't die:) Happy simming! and thanks to all who replied and others who helped with their posts.

Spoiler

System Specs: MB - MSI ACEX570S, AMD 5950X, 64GB 3600 NEO RAM, 3090 TI 24GB

__

A-10C2 Wisconsin 176th (TFS) 128th (TFW) - Repaint

Then I wonder why I do get blurry text.

Any ideas?

Sorry I have no idea, my text is fine, just some shimmering, which I have to live with if I use DS.

PS: I am on 4k

McDan out

Here's my Reshade settings if anyone interested:

[FXAA.fx]

Subpix=0.050000

EdgeThreshold=0.250000

EdgeThresholdMin=0.000000

[sMAA.fx]

EdgeDetectionType=1

EdgeDetectionThreshold=0.800000

MaxSearchSteps=98

MaxSearchStepsDiagonal=16

CornerRounding=0

DebugOutput=0

Thanks for sharing this :thumbup:

Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X | i7 9700K@5.0GHz | Gainward Phantom GS RTX 3080 | 32GB DDR4@3200MHz | HP Reverb | TrackIR 5 | TM Warthog HOTAS | MFG Croswinds | DCS PD 1.0 / Steam VR SS 170%