P51 - autopilot

Abburo

I think it will be good to have an autopilot function for Mustang just like on the Huey for the moments when trying to search some switches etc.

Just an ordinary level flight, nothing fancy.

Are you considering this as an useful feature? (I know is not real, still...)

Romanian Community for DCS World

HW Specs: AMD 7900X, 64GB RAM, RTX 4090, HOTAS Virpil, MFG, CLS-E, custom

No. The Huey autopilot is there to substitute a proper copilot, and being an airframe built with at least two people manning it, it's needed.

The P-51 has no copilot, nor is it that hard to just sit down and get acquainted with all switches and buttons on the ground so that you know where they are once you're in the air. If you do find that you need to look around for something mid flight, trim the plane so that it flies straight enough.

I think it will be good to have an autopilot function for Mustang just like on the Huey for the moments when trying to search some switches etc.

Active Pause will do just that.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

No. The Huey autopilot is there to substitute a proper copilot, and being an airframe built with at least two people manning it, it's needed.

The P-51 has no copilot, nor is it that hard to just sit down and get acquainted with all switches and buttons on the ground so that you know where they are once you're in the air. If you do find that you need to look around for something mid flight, trim the plane so that it flies straight enough.

+1

And if everything gets still too hairy then there is always the "Active Pause" cheat (LShift+LWin+Pause).

Edited by Flagrum
lol, sniped ... excellent shot, cichlidfan! :o)

Like said always trim your horse I mean really always. If so you can relax and go heads down but be sure to always check your flight and climb indicator when being heads down.

If your monitoring this two instruments and ensure a good trimming nothing dangerous should happen :)

Additionally the Mustang doesn't really have much switchs, learn where they are and which keys are for the important switches then you shouldn't really be heads down for longer times.

I had come to this proposal becasue I own a G940 which is very sensitive in neutral point and more than that, the FF is also loose at that point. These facts does not allow me to take off my hand from it without a minimal change in attitude. Setting a dead zone for neutral is not an option either.

But I understood your point of view and I will respect it. Thank you for your feedback.

Just trim it so it climbs and increase power a bit...

AWAITING ED NEW DAMAGE MODEL IMPLEMENTATION FOR WW2 BIRDS

Fat T is above, thin T is below. Long T is faster, Short T is slower. Open triangle is AWACS, closed triangle is your own sensors. Double dash is friendly, Single dash is enemy. Circle is friendly. Strobe is jammer. Strobe to dash is under 35 km. HDD is 7 times range key. Radar to 160 km, IRST to 10 km. Stay low, but never slow.

I had come to this proposal becasue I own a G940 which is very sensitive in neutral point and more than that, the FF is also loose at that point. These facts does not allow me to take off my hand from it without a minimal change in attitude. Setting a dead zone for neutral is not an option either.

But I understood your point of view and I will respect it. Thank you for your feedback.

This is true... with the g940 you can trim as much as posible, but because of the ffb-Deadzone in the center - and the lack of a spring the weight of the stick always pulls itself to one side -its impossible to let the mustand fly straight ahead...

i helped myself with using the HOTAS WARTHOG(distance flights) and the MSFFB2 (combat) at once

silly, but that´s the way...:pilotfly:

Actually Mop, you just gave me an ideea. Not adding springs, but to find a solution to increase very very little the gimbal friction in neutral position, just enough to self sustain the stick.

I will get back here if I will found any solution.

• 3 years later...

I know this is old, but there is no level flight on the WWII planes?

I'm building some missions to test flight the WWII planes and determine the TAS, but without level flight it will be way more difficult or even not possible. I also use time acceleration in my methodology. I could use IAS, but I rather calculate and rely on time over distance.

Level flight seems to be commonly used in single player for various purposes since forever. Did they implement this feature in the last years?

-- Win10 Pro, Philips 298P4QJEB (2560X1080), i5-9600K, Zalman 9900NT, GA-Z390 UD, GTX 1060 GamingX 6GB, 16GB 3200Mhz CL16, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, Corsair AX-750W, Carbide 300R, G940, TrackIR 5 --

I know this is old, but there is no level flight on the WWII planes?

I'm building some missions to test flight the WWII planes and determine the TAS, but without level flight it will be way more difficult or even not possible. I also use time acceleration in my methodology. I could use IAS, but I rather calculate and rely on time over distance.

AFAIK there wasn't any pilot assistance system at these times.

You can directly get the TAS shown in the info bar of the F2 view.

I'll buy :

МиГ-23МЛД & МЛА МиГ-27К МиГ-25 Mirage III F-4E any IJ plane 1950' Korea Dynamic campaign module

AFAIK there wasn't any pilot assistance system at these times.

You can directly get the TAS shown in the info bar of the F2 view.

There was, but not in US single engine fighters IIRC. For example, the HE111 had an autopilot.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals