Proper way to accuratley employ bombs in KA50

Reaper6

I have read several posts, and listened to many conversations when it comes to dropping bombs with the KA50. I thought I would make a video and shed some light on the proper way to do this step-by-step. Although many pilots have their own way of doing things, I'm definitely not saying it is the wrong way. If it works for you, then keep at it.

It is not by chance that the KA50 can carry dumb bombs and cluster munitions. There are systems within the KA50 that are designed to drop these munitions with a high level of accuracy. Here are some of the systems to aid you in getting bombs on target.

1)PVI - Along with autopilot controls, this will keep you on a HIGHLY accurate flight path and altitude to the target.

2)Shkval - Can be used as a accurate bomb site for when to release your munitions.

3)ABRIS - Always an integral part to all the systems in the KA50. In conjunction with the DataLink, this can be used to see where your bombs will actually land on the moving map.

So hopefully this video will shed a bit more light on the employment of Bombs/Cluster Munitions. Again, I'm not saying anyone else's way is necessarily the wrong way, if it works keep at it.

Reaper6

• Like 2

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

Thanks for the video.

I don't know but I've never liked bombing with Ka-50... or with a helicopter.

Intel i7-14700@5.6GHz | MSI RTX4080 Super SuprimX | Corsair V. 32GB@6400MHz. | Samsung 1TB 990 PRO SSD (Win10Homex64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

It's nifty being able to drop bombs on a point target (I have that process written down from some time back, and I want to include it in my Ka-50 guide the next time I sit down to write some), but I can't help but think that rockets are the better option in most moderate-intensity bomb delivery situations.

Black Shark, Harrier, and Hornet pilot

Many Words - Serial Fiction | Ka-50 Employment Guide | Ka-50 Avionics Cheat Sheet | Multiplayer Shooting Range Mission

Thanks for the video.

I don't know but I've never liked bombing with Ka-50... or with a helicopter.

Not a whole lot of uses for it really, KMGUs are more useful than the bombs. Maybe one day ED will implement the AO–2.5RT Mines for KMGU :)

It's nifty being able to drop bombs on a point target (I have that process written down from some time back, and I want to include it in my Ka-50 guide the next time I sit down to write some), but I can't help but think that rockets are the better option in most moderate-intensity bomb delivery situations.

I think I have only used FAB-500s in a couple of self made missions. I had to destroy the communications bunker, which is pretty much impossible with Vikhrs or Rockets.

Thanks Reaper, that is one thing I haven't tried yet.. a Ka-50 bomber!

It's a good skill to learn IMO, if anything it helps put to use some of the systems in the KA50.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

NZXT Phantom Full Tower, Intel Core i7 4960X Processor(6x 3.60GHz/15MB L3Cache) 20% Overclocking, 64GB DDR3-2133 Memory, NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan Black-6GB SLI Mode(Dual Cards), Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 Motherboard, ViewSonic PJD5132 SVGA Multi-Region 3D Ready Portable DLP Projector, Track IR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog, Cougar MFDs.

I tried once when I was beginning the Ka-50 and either missed the target or blew myself up :joystick:

Keep the videos coming Reaper :smartass:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Sheese, I started really learning the KA-50 last October, and after many months have finally gotten to where I can confidently fly and engage in combat in it.

Reaper's recent threads just goes to show me how very little I truly know about flying the Shark!

:thumbup:

Great job Reaper, thanks so much for sharing. It certainly gives me a whole new dimension to start learning about the KA-50 while we wait for DCS 2.5!

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

great tutorial for easy employment, but could be dangerous with firing back enemies because of a straightfoward flight.

i only practiced the manual rambo style method until now. ;-)

thank you !

works great with KMGU.

I don't see the point to use the Datalink part though. Shkval will determine your nav target. I am wrong?

Edited by Erforce

TASK / ROLES acronyms guide

Black Shark A.I. datalink guide illustrated (v1.2.4 Available on Wiki)

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

BlackShark 2 1.2.x Bug and glitches thread (v1.2.7)

great tutorial for easy employment, but could be dangerous with firing back enemies because of a straightfoward flight.

i only practiced the manual rambo style method until now. ;-)

thank you !

works great with KMGU.

I don't see the point to use the Datalink part though. Shkval will determine your nav target. I am wrong?

The use of the DataLink puts the symbol in ABRIS, and gives you an alternate view for releasing the bombs. This Helps if you are engaging multiple targets, I generally put everything I see in DL/ABRIS. If you enter the tgt points only into PVI they only show if selected in PVI. The yellow line in ABRIS shows where your Shkval is pointed, and where your bombs will fall. You need this "advance warning" of when to release your bombs. Traveling at low altitude at 200-290kmh, you will only see the target in the Shkval for a split second. With a bit of practice Using the ABRIS only is a highly accurate way of dropping bombs in low visibility weather or even at night. I will try and make a video tomorrow of dropping bombs at night using this method, for a better example.

I mainly only use bombs for self made missions. Clearing out an enemy camp with Vikhrs and guns, then swoop in to finish off the Command Bunker with 2 bombs.

Reaper6

Edited by Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

Using ABRIS as Bomb Sight

I tried doing the video at night, but wasn't able to follow the bombs. I used dense fog and crappy weather for a better example. Using the ABRIS instead of looking thru the Shkval is just as accurate in any conditions though.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

KA50 using AO-2.5RT submunitions

KA50 is able to use the KMGU it can be filled with(you can use one or the other, but NOT both):

• 96 AO-2.5RT high explosive Anit-Personnel
  • 96 PTAB-2.5KO anti-tank and an anti-personnel capability

Only a few things change from dropping dumb bombs. Your ballistic data selector (#9 for AO-2.5RT/#10 for PTAB-2.5KO), and your release point. You must press your weapons release at least 1.5-2 seconds before the target area. this gives time for the KMGU doors to open, and the BKF cassettes to cycle out the submunitions. PTAB-2.5KO is probablly your best loadout since you can destroy light-skinned, light-armored as well as personnel targets. From my experience neither submunitions will destroy modern tanks. Just a side note, you must PRESS & HOLD the weapons release until all submunitions have been released.

Reaper6

Edited by Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

you're removing all secret ED put in KA-50 ;-)

and spoiling my future campaign !

KMGU/bombs are very diffcult to employ rapidly without a pre-planned flight plan.

For the armor penetration, and to know what you can actually kill with your weapons, is located in my DCS codex, in my signature.

If your weapon doesn't pass the Armor test, no damage will be done to the target.

That's why KMGU is very difficult to engage, because it need aligned targets, and usually, in column formations on a road (for example) there are always a thick armored vehicle, like a tank or something else. And that thing will rip you before, or after your flyby.

if you shoot them before, they will disperse, cancelling the KMGU utility.

DCS World Codex 1.1 : full units list (Speed/Weapons/Armor thickness/Threat zone/Weapon damage...) (Oct 2013)

you're removing all secret ED put in KA-50 ;-)

and spoiling my future campaign !

KMGU/bombs are very diffcult to employ rapidly without a pre-planned flight plan.

For the armor penetration, and to know what you can actually kill with your weapons, is located in my DCS codex, in my signature.

If your weapon doesn't pass the Armor test, no damage will be done to the target.

That's why KMGU is very difficult to engage, because it need aligned targets, and usually, in column formations on a road (for example) there are always a thick armored vehicle, like a tank or something else. And that thing will rip you before, or after your flyby.

if you shoot them before, they will disperse, cancelling the KMGU utility.

Submunitions aren't generally my first option, and there aren't really any multiplayer missions I would use them for. I have only really used them for self made missions, where I need to destroy a combat outpost, enemy FARP, or troops scattered around in a city. In these cases the KMGU is highly effective vs rockets or gunning each target separately(Just my opinion). You can cover a very large area with submunitions, depending on your AGL.

I would most certainly not use these for tank targets of any type, at most would be M113s or artillery batteries. I do agree they aren't easily employed rapidly, but with practice they can be.

Sorry about spoiling your future campaign, but I do thank you for your feedback. some pilots to me seemed confused of how to employ these weapons the way the system was designed to do. Plus I have been having a bit of fun making videos, I have just recently started doing videos.

Reaper6

"De oppresso liber"

The PTABs have a usecase in blueflag, but once again are only the keep your tophat on option.

Cities have usually two bunkers and an outpost close together. Since bunkers take 2 vikhrs I experimented how to kill them most efficiently with inner stations weaponry.

There is 2 Options, 10 s8koms per bunker, or dropping PTABs on their head. So if you line up correctly you usually can get the outpost, two bunkers and the watch tower in one go.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

*unexpected flight behaviour* Oh shiii*** ! What ? Why ? What is happening ?

For this case i use my wingmen and their vikhrs. ;-)

cannon, bullet by bullet on soft targets, and rocket to have some fun at the end ;-)

I'm sure your demonstrations, Reaper6, will enlight the KA community. ;-)

Well done.

Sheese, I started really learning the KA-50 last October, and after many months have finally gotten to where I can confidently fly and engage in combat in it.

Reaper's recent threads just goes to show me how very little I truly know about flying the Shark!

:thumbup:

Great job Reaper, thanks so much for sharing. It certainly gives me a whole new dimension to start learning about the KA-50 while we wait for DCS 2.5!

Hey Don, good to see you here! We have talked some on the TF Cliffs of Dover forum and the BOS threads. I have made the move over here as well, so just saying hi. :)

I know your not an "on line" player but check out the BlackSharkDen, we do co-op missions, chopper pilots only. Its a lot of fun. Link is on my sig picture. Come fly with us for a night.

BK.

S!

BSD Discord , BSD Website

If it doesn't hover, it just sucks and blows

Banner EDForum2020.jpg