Some tomcat footages

Atooyi

Negative, they are removed because of all the sand the area. it prevents the cover from opening

Not sure if this was a reason for US navy tomcats, but I'm pretty sure they removed those covers from IRIAF tomcats to Prevent covers knocking off and causing FOD. I'm sure about those IRIAF cats cause the IRIAF tomcat veteran told me this when I asked him about this issue.

That is some next level "gotta protect these jets" stuff.

It makes sense. Have you guys taken the glove vanes out of the wings on your cats?

Not heard about it, gotta ask my friend who had just transferred from f-7 into tomcat front seat.

Not sure if this was a reason for US navy tomcats, but I'm pretty sure they removed those covers from IRIAF tomcats to Prevent covers knocking off and causing FOD. I'm sure about those IRIAF cats cause the IRIAF tomcat veteran told me this when I asked him about this issue.

The USN removed the covers for the same reason.

The person who said it was because of sand doesn't know what they're talking about.

That is some next level "gotta protect these jets" stuff.

It makes sense. Have you guys taken the glove vanes out of the wings on your cats?

To clear this up- the only glove vanes that were removed from US Navy F-14s were the F-14As that were converted to B and D. F-14As locked them for a time but they were never removed. The actuators were removed IIRC and the vanes may have been welded shut. VF-211 and VF-154 jets all had installed glove vanes when they retired them circa 2004.

VF-2 Bounty Hunters

https://www.csg-1.com/

DCS F-14 Pilot/RIO Discord:

https://discord.gg/6bbthxk

To clear this up- the only glove vanes that were removed from US Navy F-14s were the F-14As that were converted to B and D. F-14As locked them for a time but they were never removed. The actuators were removed IIRC and the vanes may have been welded shut. VF-211 and VF-154 jets all had installed glove vanes when they retired them circa 2004.

I was wondering because we eventually figured out they weren't worth having. Removing them and their mechanical components means one less complex thing to have break on the jet.