New Clouds Discussion

Mizzy

It's been ages since the new 'Edge' clouds were announced. I know computers were not up to standard two years ago but now have new generation graphic cards and RAM etc. Why are clouds so important to me? Because they are the most natural things in the air and when they look naff, well...err it speaks for itself.

Mizzy

• Like 2

Yes volumetric clouds would be very nice but I'm waiting for the whole dynamic weather overhaul. ATM its so bad and very simplistic. If you want rain you need to generate zones with very low pressure and a lot of wind. The new weather system with humidity parameters will be very welcome.

• Like 1

Are you sure? Source?

I thought they are only in development and no date is existing yet.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

ED facebook... of course, a plan, not a promise.

https://www.facebook.com/eagle.dynamics/photos/pb.441639040340.-2207520000.1571646629./10162605164610341/?type=3&theater

In the recent Ask Me Anything (AMA) with http://www.mudspike.com, we mentioned that a new cloud rendering system will be coming to DCS World later this year. While very much work-in-progess and subject to change, we wanted to give you an early look.

https://www.mudspike.com/mudspike-ama-with-eagle-dynamics-senior-producer-matt-wagner/

• 1 month later...
Well, anyone able to confirm officially ? Are we getting nice clouds or not this year ? !

Mizzy

Hopefully this year

:thumbup:

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

I'd am confident we will not get them this year. I am also confident that we will not see the Supercarrier, the WW2 Damage Model, or any new maps this year.

The reason is simple. ED makes a lot of fuzz around major implementations before they launch. The only thing you have seen of the new clouds is a single screen capture, and there are like 3 weeks left of the year. I will bleed into next year. tbh I would not even expect them early next year. That is my opinion after monitoring and tracking DCS marketing og promotion cycle for some 8 years. I thought the Supercarrier would come with a pre-order date this weekend. It did not (But it looks great!), so bye bye 2019. I am guessing the clouds will start popping into various WIP pictures and promo vids in a few months before arriving.Maybe- MAYBE the first half of 2020. Then again, maybe not. We just don't have any info, therefore there is no reason to assume an impending release.

I am not saying this to be negative. It is simply a friendly way of saying hold your expectations for a good while yet:).

• 3 weeks later...

The clouds with Dynamic weather look pretty good, imo

Of course, there is room for improvement.

Different type of clouds, more layers, etc

1.thumb.jpg.41bd23b255f386b08ceb5812cfdf2c82.jpg

2.thumb.jpg.14f364e3fd059c93c2cd319d3856f5c2.jpg

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

The clouds with Dynamic weather look pretty good, imo

Of course, there is room for improvement.

Different type of clouds, more layers, etc

They might look acceptable on screenshots (or maybe on 2D screens, I wouldn't know). But in VR, the current clouds are awefully outdated, dynamic or not.

Until the clouds stop rotating when I tilt my head, I'll just stick to clear skies as much as possible

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH