2017, Forum Moderation - Page 10 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 01-10-2017, 09:40 PM   #91
WinterH

Reputation power: 12
WinterH is just really niceWinterH is just really niceWinterH is just really niceWinterH is just really niceWinterH is just really niceWinterH is just really niceWinterH is just really niceWinterH is just really niceWinterH is just really niceWinterH is just really niceWinterH is just really nice

Well the discussion is going on apparently, alright then, I'll bite.

Why was the thread about announcing twomoreweeks.net deleted, as far as I know without any information as to why.

I may have missed something but, as far as I have seen there was no ill intent, nor any semblance of a flamewar going on over there the last time I have seen the thread. As far as I know, it was just an announcement of an independent sim news/community articles site, and one mainly centered around DCS at that.

As to moderation team reflecting ED, and not their own personal judgement, I for one never had any other impression.

Interestingly though, I kinda understand the one about donation thread, and even though I personally think that Razbam's premature MiG case would cause much less steam being vented by people if Wags posted what he did on mudspike here instead, I also understand why just everything about the business can't be told us great unwashed. Nor can the incessant brewing of conspiracy theories and wild guessing be allowed to flourish.

When left in total dark with what appear as heavy hands silencing the discussions however, that's all the people can do: to speculate wildly. Like I've said, I believe that the whole thing could have ended fairly nicely with Wags or anyone from mod team saying what he said on mudspike here, and just then lock the thread. Still, I do understand that one too.

There still are however, cases where I just can't think of a benign reason for administrative action, twomoreweeks.net announcement being one of them.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:59 PM   #92
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Reputation power: 98
SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold

ok, so a couple things.

The owner of that site might be better to ask, but ED doesnt feel his intentions for that site match that of ED's. Therefor they cant justify promoting it here. We cant tell you were to go to get your Flight Sim fix, but ED wont promote sites that show hostility towards its user base, or at least the user base that enjoys ED's products. If the owner of that site or any other wants to mend fences they should do it through Wags or other high ranking ED people, until then I dont want to come off like I am bashing anyone. I would love more of these sites to do well, they just need to decide what they want to be. Mudspike does well, I have seen negative things towards ED and other developers, but always mature and respectful. Anyways... I can answer more about that, but again, I dont want to get anyones nose out of joint.

One more thing on donations... ED will help you get support for your mod, if your mod is of a quality and standard that you think will improve DCS, then approach ED and see what he has to say. I have pointed out a couple to ED that I would love to see become official, but the timing has to be right as it would still require ED support to add in most cases.

ED making comments about the MiG23 are a little more complex, simply put, they arent ready to say anything on that or any other module in development, the gaff by RAZBAM forced their hand a little, and occasionally ED likes to give supported sites like Mudspike a bonus and drop some tidbits there. Its not an official statement, it was just to try and address it without giving away too much.

Why dont they want to give away much, being silent makes speculation run wild! Sure, but people will speculate no matter what, a few years back ED laid out plans for a number of modules. But things happen, they have problems getting permission, or data, or it just takes more time than realized. Maybe they have to develop new tech, or maybe something else comes up. So then it because, ED is doing X, Y and Z.... then it becomes where is X.Y and Z we were "promised", then it becomes ED missed the delivery dates on X, Y and Z...

See where I am going? If we could all agree that ED will tell us a plan, and we will accept it could take a couple years, they might have to drop something due to unforeseen problems, and we wont burn down the ED offices, then maybe we wouldnt have to live in the dark... but unfortunately that isnt always the case. So instead of disappointing you with info, they take the easier path of holding on to their cards until the concrete sets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterH View Post
Well the discussion is going on apparently, alright then, I'll bite.

Why was the thread about announcing twomoreweeks.net deleted, as far as I know without any information as to why.

I may have missed something but, as far as I have seen there was no ill intent, nor any semblance of a flamewar going on over there the last time I have seen the thread. As far as I know, it was just an announcement of an independent sim news/community articles site, and one mainly centered around DCS at that.

As to moderation team reflecting ED, and not their own personal judgement, I for one never had any other impression.

Interestingly though, I kinda understand the one about donation thread, and even though I personally think that Razbam's premature MiG case would cause much less steam being vented by people if Wags posted what he did on mudspike here instead, I also understand why just everything about the business can't be told us great unwashed. Nor can the incessant brewing of conspiracy theories and wild guessing be allowed to flourish.

When left in total dark with what appear as heavy hands silencing the discussions however, that's all the people can do: to speculate wildly. Like I've said, I believe that the whole thing could have ended fairly nicely with Wags or anyone from mod team saying what he said on mudspike here, and just then lock the thread. Still, I do understand that one too.

There still are however, cases where I just can't think of a benign reason for administrative action, twomoreweeks.net announcement being one of them.
PS tmw.com response to this post I guess was to ban me from their FB, so there is that lol.

Last edited by SiThSpAwN; 01-11-2017 at 03:24 AM.
SiThSpAwN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:54 PM   #93
aaron886
Veteran

Reputation power: 63
aaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to beholdaaron886 is a splendid one to behold

So things promoted here can only be things that promote or advertise the ED "party line?" That's such a sad, closed-off idea of a community. If you want a real community you have to let people enjoy real dialog and creative endeavor. This is not the kind of change I was dearly hoping your post might be announcing.
aaron886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:02 AM   #94
GeorgeLKMT

Reputation power: 26
GeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to allGeorgeLKMT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiThSpAwN View Post
One more thing on donations...
Sith, you can't expect me not to get upset about this thing when you clearly haven't read a single word from that thread. "ED needs to make money...", "ED won't do QC...", "ED might help if we get in touch..." - this is all explained in there. And I don't think anybody wants a few "elite" mods to become paid... did we forget about the whole Valve paid mods fiasco? Also, the proposed solution was something that worked in other games for years without a single problem (which I mentioned there as well).

And no, I'm not typing this because I'm salty that the thing didn't go through, I just feel like a fool when everything I type gets flushed into the toilet.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:10 AM   #95
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

SiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to beholdSiThSpAwN is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron886 View Post
So things promoted here can only be things that promote or advertise the ED "party line?" That's such a sad, closed-off idea of a community. If you want a real community you have to let people enjoy real dialog and creative endeavor. This is not the kind of change I was dearly hoping your post might be announcing.
Not sure what you expect from a company forum? At the end of the day this forum is to support ED products and the people that purchase and use them.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:13 AM   #96
SiThSpAwN
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeLKMT View Post
Sith, you can't expect me not to get upset about this thing when you clearly haven't read a single word from that thread. "ED needs to make money...", "ED won't do QC...", "ED might help if we get in touch..." - this is all explained in there. And I don't think anybody wants a few "elite" mods to become paid... did we forget about the whole Valve paid mods fiasco? Also, the proposed solution was something that worked in other games for years without a single problem (which I mentioned there as well).

And no, I'm not typing this because I'm salty that the thing didn't go through, I just feel like a fool when everything I type gets flushed into the toilet.
I never asked to be paid, nor did I suggest it, as for donations I said my piece on it, that isn't what this thread is about.

And saying everything you type gets flushed is being unfairly dramatic...

Old 01-11-2017, 02:24 AM   #97
David OC

Reputation power: 10
David OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really nice

When it comes to questionable subjects, especially something to do with a company’s Licence Agreement, posted in their own public forum. I think it would be good idea to run it past a mod with a PM first, so they can say it’s OK to go ahead or the mod can check with the powers to be, before going ahead and starting such a thread.

I have an idea myself for a forum poll, but I have considered it may not suit where ED is at this point of time and seem to come across as putting public pressure on ED, so if I decide to go ahead with the post, I will check with a Mod first, just to be sure it doesn't have any conflict of interest.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:23 AM   #98
Blade_meister

Reputation power: 8
Blade_meister is a jewel in the roughBlade_meister is a jewel in the roughBlade_meister is a jewel in the roughBlade_meister is a jewel in the roughBlade_meister is a jewel in the roughBlade_meister is a jewel in the roughBlade_meister is a jewel in the roughBlade_meister is a jewel in the rough

MEH! Mods should be transparent, have blank avatars and remain silent unless it is absolutely necessary to input and receive no appreciation at any time. It is a thankless job, so lets keep it that way. This thread is a waste of time and space, please delete it and Ban Hammer the initiator for at least 1 month if not 2. I am completely serious.
Happy New Year and a prosperous 2017.

S!Blade<><
Blade_meister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 06:06 AM   #99
David OC

Reputation power: 10
David OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really niceDavid OC is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_meister View Post
IBTL
I see no reason for the thread to be locked now?

Most of the post are about how hard it is to manage such a diverse forum and a little appreciation for the mods here keeping it under control and civil, others here have posted good constructive criticism and delivered that criticism appropriately. It doesn't have to be the wild wild west, you know the forum mentality that allows that, same place you posted the IBTL after posting here first.
David OC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #100
BIGNEWY
Community Manager

Reputation power: 71
BIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to beholdBIGNEWY is a splendid one to behold

Humour does not always carry well for everyone on an international forum and can be taken seriously when it may not have been intended, or he is being serious lol

While we are here doing this I want to thank the forum users who use the report post function, be it for rule breaking or for spam bots, it is a great help as sometimes on a busy forum like ours it is difficult to get around to every post.