Cessna A-37 Dragonfly

Silky

Didn't know where to post this, can't post in the Wishlist section, so as they already made a Vietnam era aircraft, I'll just dump it here. As much as I'd love to see the Skyraider, the A-37 seems fitting for the DCS community.

• 160,000 combat sorties in Vietnam
  • Phased out in early 80's
  • After the war, 90 some A-37's were used by communist countries
  • Aerial refueling
  • Is a jet
  • Cold War
  • Can be considered a trainer I guess

http://www.airspacemag.com/military-aviation/legends-of-vietnam-super-tweet-8974282/?no-ist

Would be very fun to fly!

Would be fun if they would also make the T-37

My system:

Intel Core i7 4770K@3.5Ghz, 16Gb Crucial 1600mhz DDR3, MSI GTX660 Gaming, Scythe Mugen 4, Samung 850 EVO 500GB, Fractal Design Define R4, WD Green 2TB, Windows 10

TM Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Cessna Rudders

DCS:

A10C, UH-1, F15C

"When everything seem to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it..."

Henry Ford

The A-37 is a multi-seat COIN aircraft, not a trainer. The trainer is the T-37. Same basic aircraft, but like comparing the F-5F to the T-38. It's just another wishlist aircraft folks. I wouldn't mind seeing it at a much later date. After some other choice aircraft.

"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Leonardo Da Vinci

"We are tied to the ocean. And when we go back to the sea, whether it is to sail or to watch - we are going back from whence we came."

John F. Kennedy

Actually it does, a T-38 specifically with MP duel seats would be outstanding.

T-38 would be great.

BUT AFTER we get: F-15E, F-18C, F-14A&B, Gripen, Typhoon, SU-27SM and some others.

Then DCS will be in need of trainers. For now there's more trainers than actual DCS modern jets.

T-38 would be great.

BUT AFTER we get: F-15E, F-18C, F-14A&B, Gripen, Typhoon, SU-27SM and some others.

Then DCS will be in need of trainers. For now there's more trainers than actual DCS modern jets.

Not a multi (MP) seat western trainer. But I'm (and the rest of the 476 vFG) in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am sick of trainers, even though the trainers that have been released are topnotch. Lets hope they don't ever do something like that

I agree, if devs are looking towards trainers for their simplicity then there are plenty of planes that are just as simple as trainers that are actually interesting military aircraft.

There are literally hundred of 1950-70 fighters that are just as capable and simple as a trainer. I'd kill for a A-1 or a F-117 over a trainer anyday.

One of the reasons I love Belsimtek, instead of giving us some trainer, we get the F-86, MiG-15 and the F-5E.

...F-117...

:huh:

Typo?

"Long life It is a waste not to notice that it is not noticed that it is milk in the title." Amazon.co.jp review for milk translated from Japanese

"Amidst the blue skies, A link from past to future. The sheltering wings of the protector..." - ACE COMBAT 4

"Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight"-Psalm 144:1 KJV

i5-4430 at 3.00GHz, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 FE, Windows 7 x64

The F-117 would be interesting to fly from a special snowflake kind of standpoint, but it wouldn't be able to make an actual dent in anything during a multiplay or otherwise standard A-10 scenario seeing that it has such a limited payload capability.

No, the F-117 is more something for deep penetration pinpoint strikes against HVT's.

I mean, you only have 2 bombs, no onboard cannon or any other armament, no radar, no nothing.

I personally don't think it'd be that much fun to fly somewhere, drop 2 pickles and then have to fly back to base to rearm.

Did somebody say Dragonfly? I loves me some OA-37.

If LNS has to jump on the trainer/COIN bandwagon? C'mon, OA-37. Do it. That said, they probably won't. I'd reckon that reason why we have two third party trainers is probably because both VEAO and AvioDev wanted something simple to get their feet wet with.

With the fantastic performance that was the MiG-21bis, LNS doesn't need that.

I'd still fly to Europe and cram money to their throats if they were to give me an OA-37.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

:huh:

Typo?

Nope, but I didn't mean to imply that it was a 1950-70s aircraft if that's what you mean :lol:

I would buy it over a trainer any day though. To be honest, if it's priced right I'd buy it for it's novelty alone even though it doesn't hold up a torch against a F-18 or A-10C in capabilities.

Albeit that's kind of the point.

• 4 months later...

the A37B is not a trainer it was meant to be a dedicated ground attacker, particularity used for COIN. that happened developed from the T37.

looking at its bombload, for its time, its not bad especially if you were to compare it to the US Navy's A4 skyhawk.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

I think people miss the point when it comes to trainers. For a new development team they are perfect for their first step on the road to high fidelity simulation. Start simple, and grow is the best approach to business, so I would never criticise them for that, and of course, I'll be at the front of the queue to buy stuff from nascent teams to give them the impetus to continue and develop more complex and more suitable machinery down the line.

They don't of course fit into most people's wish lists, and that is another matter entirely. In fact, wish lists in general are pretty academic because everyone has their personal favorites, their own ideas of what should and shouldn't be developed, and it is only a matter of time before there is at least one request for everything that has ever flown without the aid of feathers or scales!

I'll go as far as to say I want every era, and every aircraft covered. Oh, and can we have them all by next week please? It isn't going to happen of course, but that, like all the other wish lists, is just cloud cuckoo land, and has nothing to do with reality!

Frankly, the whole subject has been flogged to death here already!

not always the case however. ED made the L39C & ZA.

alternately I think early generation jets are also a good idea for newcomers to break into the game development.

Which is why apart from trainers such developers could also go for earlier type jets Like the Mig17, Hawker Hunter, Dassult Mystere, Fiat G91 Etc, which were frontline fighters of thier time but would still be much more simple to model in comparison to 3rd or even 4th generation aircraft.

but not always the case, BST made the F86F & Mig15, and they already were fairly seasoned developers.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

Not a multi (MP) seat western trainer. But I'm (and the rest of the 476 vFG) in the minority.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Hawk is the most common jet trainer in NATO. A modified version called the T-45 is used by the USN. The C-101 is a Spanish trainer, last time I checked, Spain was in NATO. And that multi-seat capability in MP is coming to both last I heard. When it will happen is unknown, but it was promised.

Back on the topic of the A-37, I'd like it but it isn't very high on my wishlist either. It's the kind of thing I'd pick up for under $15 like I did with the F-86 and WW2 stuff. I probably wouldn't bother with a C-37 for more than $5. At the $5 mark, I'll buy just about anything with a decent FM, including FC3 type aircraft and true civilian like a Piper Cub. Incidentally, the F-117 falls into the $15 category for me. It's cool from an aviation curiosity standpoint, but it isn't something I'd fly with enough regularity to justify anything approaching full price.

The Hawk is the most common jet trainer in NATO. A modified version called the T-45 is used by the USN. The C-101 is a Spanish trainer, last time I checked, Spain was in NATO. And that multi-seat capability in MP is coming to both last I heard. When it will happen is unknown, but it was promised.

LOl "was promised" as Wags says "everything is subject to change.

The 101 is looking like it may happen but from the outside it appears at least that development has come to a crawl. The Hawk is TBD concerning MP multi crew but at least the EFM is on the horizon.

Edited by Snoopy

A-37 sounds like it would be a really fun aircraft to put into this sim. I think we would need some more Era similar ground vehicles and settings first though.

Real world story on the T-37. You don't know the word LOUD until you're around one of these. I used to run an FBO in Oshkosh about 10 years ago. Had one of these pull up on my ramp during the airshow. Behind double pane, sound proof, glass ... I had to just hang up the phone with who I was talking too, because I couldn't hear a single word anymore, and needed both hands to shove cover my ears.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

The Museum Relic Campaign: --> http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=164322

Community Missions (SP & MP) --> https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=205546

A-37 sounds like it would be a really fun aircraft to put into this sim. I think we would need some more Era similar ground vehicles and settings first though.

Real world story on the T-37. You don't know the word LOUD until you're around one of these. I used to run an FBO in Oshkosh about 10 years ago. Had one of these pull up on my ramp during the airshow. Behind double pane, sound proof, glass ... I had to just hang up the phone with who I was talking too, because I couldn't hear a single word anymore, and needed both hands to shove cover my ears.

since the A-37B entered service in 1967-8, and was in service into the 80s within the USAF, it fits in with the likes of the F-5E tiger 2 being developed by BST, which initial service was 1972.

Both were exported as a more economical options.

South Korea & Chile operated both the F5E and the A37 at the same time.

so IMO the A37 would nicely compliment a soon to be added multirole fighter(F5) serving within multiple air forces , of similar time periods. I hope one of the 3rd party developers decide to take it on.

Edited by Kev2go

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

A-37 +1

|Motherboard|: Asus TUF Gaming X570-PLUS,

|WaterCooler|: Corsair H115i Pro,

|CPU|: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X,

|RAM|: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200MHz DDR4,

|SSD|: Kingston A2000 500GB M.2 NVMe,

|SSD|: Kingston 2.5´ 480GB UV400 SATA III,

|SSHD|: Seagate Híbrido 2TB 7200RPM SATA III,

|GPU|: MSI Gaming 980Ti,

|Monitor|: LG UltraWide 34UM68,

|Joystick 1|: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog,

|Joystick 2|: T.Flight Rudder Pedals,

|Head Motion|: TrackIr 5.

Please allow me to differ with some of you, but I would like to see here any attack aircraft, even the Dragonfly because DCS for me is about combat simulation and most trainers have its attack version, all of them must be welcome. The A-37 had many combat hours and the Viggen almost any, but the both should be here for all the fun they can provide. For a COIN of that era I would like to have the OV10-Bronco. With the price being reasonable I would buy them all.

Win 8.1, I7 4770K 4.5ghz watercooled, 240gb SSD in Raid 0, 16GB DDR3-2400, EVGA GTX780 watercooled, LG 29EA73-P (2560x1080)

Cobra M5 *modded by BRD*, CH Pro Throttle, Pro Combat Pedals, TrackIR5 Pro + Delanclip, Bose QC 15, TM Cougar MFD's

300/30 mbps