My most expensive module by far... feeling bad..

Koriel

Order 30182, $49,99

Order 54765, $19,99

Order 200382, $11,99

I hated having to install the stand alone blackshark to upgrade to V2, so bought a standalone V2. I know that recently the licenses were combined. I tried gifting one of my licenses but ED said “no”...

So $82 already spend on the Blackshark and now having to pay for another upgrade?

This feels excessive. Especially when you compare it to for example the Hornet. The latter giving you much more value for money systems wise and such.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't have to pay at all - the graphics update is free as stated in the newsletter.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

But you have to if you want the full functionality.

But not the avionics update.

Right, it's a different variant in the end if you want those functionality upgrades.

So you either stick with the current variant we already have and get 2019 graphics model updates for free - which is already fantastic, or, you purchase the new variant that "[...]consist of new functions such as Igla air-to-air missiles and missile warning systems with infrared missile jamming systems[...]"

All good in my book.

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

• ED Team
Order 30182, $49,99

Order 54765, $19,99

Order 200382, $11,99

I hated having to install the stand alone blackshark to upgrade to V2, so bought a standalone V2. I know that recently the licenses were combined. I tried gifting one of my licenses but ED said “no”...

So $82 already spend on the Blackshark and now having to pay for another upgrade?

This feels excessive. Especially when you compare it to for example the Hornet. The latter giving you much more value for money systems wise and such.

I'm sorry you feel that way. To update the Ka-50 (one of our earliest DCS modules) takes a lot of time, money, and opportunity lost from other projects. We do realize though that the Ka-50 needs a lot of love to bring up up to par with our more recent modules. As with any module though, we need to find a means for it to pay for itself, so we simply cannot give away the entire update for free. We have staff to pay and lights to keep on.

As a compromise, we are giving away the all new and greatly improved external model and cockpit for free to all Ka-50 users. However, if you want to have the additional functions, I'm sorry, but we need some compensation for the work.

I hope you understand.

Thanks

I'm sorry you feel that way. To update the Ka-50 (one of our earliest DCS modules) takes a lot of time, money, and opportunity lost from other projects. We do realize though that the Ka-50 needs a lot of love to bring up up to par with our more recent modules. As with any module though, we need to find a means for it to pay for itself, so we simply cannot give away the entire update for free. We have staff to pay and lights to keep on.

As a compromise, we are giving away the all new and greatly improved external model and cockpit for free to all Ka-50 users. However, if you want to have the additional functions, I'm sorry, but we need some compensation for the work.

I hope you understand.

Thanks

and who already owns the module have to pay the same full price as who don't?

• ED Team
Order 30182, $49,99

Order 54765, $19,99

Order 200382, $11,99

I can't add much more beyond what Wags said, except for the fact that the Ka-50 has been out a long time, and we continue to support it, and as shown, are now once again upgrading it. After this, you will continue to enjoy it for even longer, so your Return on investment in general with ED products is quite high, even if you don't buy into the new systems.

Also if you still have an extra Black Shark 2 license, please PM me and I will look into why you cant gift it.

Edited by NineLine

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I hope you understand.

Thanks

Personally, I felt much the same as the OP, when initially it was suggested that the update to the cockpit and external model was going to be a paid upgrade. I voiced my concern and displeasure in some other threads.

However I also pointed out if there were to be an expansion in the avionics and/or capabilities of the platform, I would be more willing to pay for the expanded version. In this case I'm very happy that you guys are providing the visual overhauls and bug fixes free to current Ka-50 owners, but also provide a paid upgrade to the module for additional capability. I can't wait to put the money down now for the expanded Ka-50.

Thanks ED.

I hope you understand.

The Thanks

Thanks for your reply.

All good and well, I’m a loyal customer of ED since 1995. I’ve spend over $1500 on Eagle products. Most modules i’ve enjoyed for just a few hours all in all. What I neglected to mention is that I also have original Russian Blackshark laying around somewhere.

In the end I compare the current product with the money I have spend on it, and then the Blackshark is coming up short compared to your latest offerings like the Hornet, or even the A-10C.

So basically I feel you have got all my money already, and just let me enjoy the module without having to buy a gps, additional weapons systems or the likes.

I realize that I don’t have to buy it. So I most likely won’t. It will however change the way I will approach new offerings from ED. Where I used to jump on new modules (already pre-ordered the Viper) I will from now on only buy modules that I will actually use instead of indiscriminately hitting [buy] whenever there’s a new module.

In the past ED has treated me decently with the WW2 kickstarter fiasco. This time however I really feel ED is making a wrong move. I hope this won’t set a precedent for other modules.

• ED Team

In the end, we could simply fix remaining bugs and keep as is, or we can do an expansive update that provides the updated visuals free to all Ka-50 owners. To make that happen though, there needs to be some income based on some new functions.

While we can NEVER make everyone happy, we think the vast majority of clients understand and support this decision to further grow and improve the Ka-50.

Thanks

The Ka-50 update will consist of new functions such as Igla air-to-air missiles and missile warning systems with infrared missile jamming systems in addition to a substantial graphics overhaul.
Nice, finally we get a missile warning and even countermeasures so we're no longer a sitting duck!

While new cockpit functions will be part of a paid upgrade, the entirely new and improved cockpit and external model will be available for free.
*Tires screeching* Wait, what?

What's next, a paid RWR for the huey, even though that's had non-functional radar detectors on its nose all along?

• ED Team
I don't care for the paid upgrade. I actually have 2 BS1 licences and 3 BS2 licences. Lol! ED! Please take my money!!! Best ED newsletter ever today!

LOL, I was thinking that you'd be particularly happy with this newsletter ;)

• ED Team
.Impact;3931057']I think this is the best way to go.

Free 3D modell update, but additional and optional paid capabilities to pay the work.

What will be paid version be called btw ?

Probably DCS: Black Shark 3 for the full version and DCS: Black Shark 3 for the upgrade version.

Thanks

• ED Team
Nice, finally we get a missile warning and even countermeasures so we're no longer a sitting duck!

*Tires screeching* Wait, what?

What's next, a paid RWR for the huey, even though that's had non-functional radar detectors on its nose all along?

Please see the earlier explanation of this.

Thanks

I will buy the upgraded ka-50 (even though I hope the upgrade for existing owners will cost less than the upgraded ka-50 for new owners), but this decision makes me even more convinced that a yearly subscription type of business would provide the best both for us and for ED...

Should we expect to pay even for the updated a-10c?

LOL, I was thinking that you'd be particularly happy with this newsletter ;)

I can tell you that the BSD squad is going wild right now on Discord!

Just checked my DCS account. Actually 4 BS2 licences and 2 BS1 licences. I think I need some help. :noexpression:

Edited by BaD CrC

Whenever these topics come up I always can't help but wonder if the same people who complain about paying a small fee for an upgrade every few years, are the same who will pay full price for Madden year after year.

@Wags I appreciate the work you and the crew are doing on the Ka-50, and will happily fork over my money for the new features.