The Serpents Head F18C Campaign. (Nevada & Caucasus)

The Serpents Head is a six mission F18C Campaign. It starts in Nevada and ends in the Caucasus region, so both maps are required. (There is a version just in the Caucasus map area, see second link below)

The campaign is story line based and follows the progress of “Ford” (yourself) and his involvement in a new conflict in the Caucasus Region. As in 2008 this is once again in the beleaguered area of Ossetia and Gori.

This conflict is gathering pace at an alarming rate such that the West have sent in a multinational force to the Black Sea in the form of some ground forces but primarily a naval fleet with the USS John C Stennis at its heart.

We join “Ford” during his last flight over Nevada, before his unit leaves at first light in the morning for the Black Sea and the Stennis.

All the mission briefs have been reproduced in a PDF file within the zipped files.

The campaign missions have been created with resources in mind to help VR users, like myself.

The campaign is fully voiced.

It has taken a long time to put together, so I hope you enjoy.

To successfully play the Campaign through you will need to be familiar with:

1. The use of the 9-line communication system and in particular its use with JTACs when they are lasing for you.

2. Use of the Gun, AIM9X air to air missile, delivery of Mark 83 bombs and AMG65 E laser guided missiles.

3. Use of radio, although most radio messages are trigger based. I have had to introduce radio use to operate runway lights etc in some instances.

4. Landing on the Stennis in various conditions including night time approach.

5. Use of Tacan and ICLS landing system

Everything else is covered in the briefs please read them before flying

You can get it here :

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3302729/

You can get all my Single F18 missions here :

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?set_filter=Y&arrFilter_pf%5Bfiletype%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bgameversion%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Bfilelang%5D=&arrFilter_pf%5Baircraft%5D=&arrFilter_DATE_CREATE_1_DAYS_TO_BACK=&CREATED_BY=glynlewis&sort_by_order=TIMESTAMP_X_DESC&set_filter=Filter

Edited by Glyn

F/A-18C Campaigns : The Serpent’s Head / The Serpent’s Head 2

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

• 2 weeks later...

Going through the content of the campaign gives me the feeling this will really make for a great campaign.

I have only just started the first mission and I have failed. I want to use this mission to horn my formation flying knowledge. The one I did in Red flag mission is just a straightforward flight. In your mission, flight lead gives to make a left and right turn and I am failing here. It would help to have a walkthrough document like I have seen you did for the A-10C missions. or any other material to learn this type of formation flying

Your storyline is absolutely great and immersive.

Cheers.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

thanks, downloading now

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Glad you all are enjoying. It makes it all worth it.

Happy New year :-)

I9 9900K @ 5.0Ghz / Gigabyte 2080ti water force extreme / 32 Gb RAM Corsair Dominator Platinum 3600 / 2Tb Samsung 970 Evoplus NVMe M.2 / Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas / Thrustmaster Pedals / Valve Index.

Finished the campaign . I very much liked it . Thank you for this beautiful campaign.

Nevada part could be more IMHO. Like air refueling or range bombing trainings.

FC3 | UH-1 | Mi-8 | A-10C II | F/A-18 | Ka-50 III | F-14 | F-16 | AH-64 Mi-24 | F-5 | F-15E| F-4| Tornado

Persian Gulf | Nevada | Syria | NS-430 | Supercarrier // Wishlist: CH-53 | UH-60

Youtube

MS FFB2 - TM Warthog - CH Pro Pedals - Trackir 5

Yes good point. Had to put some limits on it though otherwise would never get it out to the community. Besides not sure if Snake really died, this may not be the end of it ;-). Glad you enjoyed.

• 9 months later...

Hi Glyn

Amazing job, thank you

I'm actually in mission 6, and, after I bombed the stadium, I'm unable to find out how to set up my mavericks/9 lines procedure fast enough to get the survivors…. would you mind to tell me what I'm supposed to do to kill these runaways once for all? lol

Thanks in advance for your reply

HI phil106ci

Glad you enjoyed.

What is your problem? there is no time limit on carrying out the 9 line procedure and killing the two vehicles on the road with the AGM65E's laser guided mavericks.

Ah, ok, so, it's weird because I fail the mission and the voice is telling me that I did not kill the two taxis very quickly just after successful stadium bombing, I must miss something but I don't know what…..

Anyway, this campaign is really great and I enjoyed it, hats off

Right, just checked back, been a while since I wrote this one.

Once you have bombed the arena you are instructed to head back to way point 4 and orbit there.

There is no time limit here for you to go through the 9 line procedure and take out the two escaping vehicles.

Where you are going wrong is you are not orbiting tight enough around way point 4. If you drift more than nine miles south of the way point you will leave a zone and get a fail.

So make sure you have your H S I up with wp4 on and at a suitable scale to help with your orbit location. It is quite easy to stay in zone just needs a little attention.

Best of luck

Thanks so much for your reply, I'll take care of that … and eventually finish this very well done campaign

I was told that , maybe you were planning some more great job like this, would you mind keeping me informed ?

I'd be really glad to fly more of your creations

• 1 month later...

@Glyn: Do you see any potential issues if I make the campaign coopl playable for myself by changing the AI wingman (provided there is one in every mission) to a human wingman? I'm asking, because I would really like to fly this campaign with a buddy :)

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 year later...

@Badger633 - Loving this campaign.  I finished Rising Squall and Started Raven One.  I chose to start this campaign just to see how long each mission took.  Raven One missions can get long and I was hoping for a little quicker mission.  

I chose to Necro this thread to give a little visibility to your prequel to the paid DLC campaign in the DCS Store.

Just want to say thanks for putting this together.  I loved the intro mission in Nevada.  The formation flight was cool and I enjoyed the course changes and radio chatter.  I also enjoyed the right break element you introduced on landing.  I opened the ME to see how you scripted those interactions.  Nice.  

How long did it take you to create this campaign?  I enjoy the story telling aspect of the campaign.  Maybe, someday, I will put something like this together for others to enjoy as well.

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

10 minutes ago, Mistermann said:

@Badger633 - Loving this campaign.  I finished Rising Squall and Started Raven One.  I chose to start this campaign just to see how long each mission took.  Raven One missions can get long and I was hoping for a little quicker mission.  

I chose to Necro this thread to give a little visibility to your prequel to the paid DLC campaign in the DCS Store.

Just want to say thanks for putting this together.  I loved the intro mission in Nevada.  The formation flight was cool and I enjoyed the course changes and radio chatter.  I also enjoyed the right break element you introduced on landing.  I opened the ME to see how you scripted those interactions.  Nice.  

How long did it take you to create this campaign?  I enjoy the story telling aspect of the campaign.  Maybe, someday, I will put something like this together for others to enjoy as well.

Hi

It took months. It’s a long process. It is one thing to get things working but quite another to make it robust enough to be played by other players who may not fly it as you imagine.

The DLC follow up campaign, ‘Serpents Head 2’ took even longer being 10 missions  but with voice actors.

My latest follow on campaign based in the Black Sea and the Gulf , ‘Rise of the Persian Lion’ with over a thousand voice overs and 15 story lead missions has taken 9 months. Is with ED now hopefully for issue soon.

All the campaigns are VR friendly

Glad your enjoying SH Campaign. 

Badger633 

• Like 1

I grabbed SH2 from the DCS store to support you, @Badger633.  Looking forward to it and your next campaign.

thanks for all the hard work!

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

5 hours ago, Mistermann said:

I grabbed SH2 from the DCS store to support you, @Badger633.  Looking forward to it and your next campaign.

thanks for all the hard work!

Thanks. Hope you enjoy 🙂👍