Su-27 instruments functions (?) - Page 10 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 04-27-2015, 10:35 PM   #91
Svend_Dellepude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourrinopathe View Post
  • Б5 (880kg warning (note)) should mean there's a tank 5 (?) there's a 800kg vocal warning message too.
  • 0,6 is the bingo fuel last warning (w/ vocal warning message and bingo fuel vocal message)
Maybe a feed tank?

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.
Svend_Dellepude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 11:05 PM   #92
Alfa
Veteran

Quote:
...Or if anyone could confirm there's a tank 5?[/B][/SIZE] (or what it means) (I'm curious)
Note that there is a discrepancy between the tank number indications on the gauge/decal and the small schematic drawing you posted - i.e. the central feed tank is labelled "tank 2" in the latter, while there is no "tank 2" indications on the gauge .

Since the central feed tank is the last to be emptied, it is clear that this is "tank 5" given the lamp sequence . The last light(bottom) is not a tank number reference, but a critical low level warning - i.e. "bingo state".

Quote:
And if you have the exact value for the fuel quantity left for each warning lights, please do share
I don't think you can get such an exaxt quantity - on the MiG-29 fuelgauge there are yellow markers pointing to the empty tank lamps indicating a range on the fuel tape rather than a specific quantity - i.e. when an empty tank lamp goes on, the remaining fuel quantity is somewhere between value x and y...

Quote:
Game/sim-wise, it's pretty straight forward and there's really no problem using that gauge. The fuel is burning, the light goes on, ok there's roughly that fuel quantity left. Done.
....like that

Last edited by Alfa; 04-27-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:26 AM   #93
Bourrinopathe

Thanks for the help guys.

The tank 5 label on the warning light has to be the feeder tank, indeed. Even if there's no Бак 5 on the structural schematic.

The remaining fuel quantities I've posted are from the game. We'll have to wait for a obsessive-DCS-level Su-27 to simulate the gauge error margin and fluid simulation

------

About the sensors slew and control:

If I'm not mistaken, the radar (and OLS/IRST) elevation and functions are controlled by the weapons control system (СУВ) panel (left console):

The three arrow buttons on the upper left are used to move the "field of view" of the radar and OLS/IRST.
The control knob on the left is used to set the expected target relative elevation (ΔН).
The toggle switches are for the different modes and the laser range finder (ЛД).

The "Su-27 for DCS World" russian manual call the Target Designation Cursor: Строб захвата and as the joystick label on the control stick is ЦЕНТР ЗОНЫ СТРОБ., I'm thinking it's the TDC slew control.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited by Bourrinopathe; 04-29-2015 at 04:00 AM.
Bourrinopathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 07:14 AM   #94
Bourrinopathe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2.16.43180 changelog View Post
Su-27 fuel tank-sequencing procedure is corrected
Are there any details about this?

Last edited by Bourrinopathe; 08-26-2015 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:02 PM   #95
DarkFire
DCS Ground Crew

Quote:
Here's the fuel gauge warning lights with the corresponding fuel levels:

And that's the note next to the HDD:

I only tested the first warning light and it's on with 5014kg left (not 5590kg as suggested in the note).
(Su-27 for DCS 1.2.14)

UPDATE: the in-game values are:

Бак 4,1....5014 kg
Бак 3.......4004 kg
1.5...........1504 kg
Бак 5.......1004 kg
0.6.............604 kg

Based on the Su-27SK manual, there should be 4 fuel tank groups:

Схема расположения топливных баков

The Su-27 has a rather precise fuel consumption sequence elaborated to preserve its maneuverability/balance (Center of Mass (CM)) (depending on the initial fuel quantity):

Based on the sequence, the first warning light is on when the tanks 4, 1 and most of the wings tanks are empty (tank 3).
On the fuel gauge, the lights do not exactly correspond to an empty tank (=Бак):
  • Б4,1 probably stand for Бак 4 and 1 (9400-5014=4386kg --> Su-27SK tanks 1+4=4180kg | that's close enough )
  • Б3 obviously stands for tank 3 (5590-4430=1160kg (using the note | close to the Su-27SK manual (1060kg)))
  • 1.5 is the 1500kg warning (+ vocal warning message)
  • Б5 (880kg warning (note)) should mean there's a tank 5 (?) there's a 800kg vocal warning message too.
  • 0,6 is the bingo fuel last warning (w/ vocal warning message and bingo fuel vocal message)

The fuel measurement has an accuracy of ± 170 kg.

Game/sim-wise, it's pretty straight forward and there's really no problem using that gauge. The fuel is burning, the light goes on, ok there's roughly that fuel quantity left. Done.

But I'd like to know if there's a specific known structural fuel system schematic for the Su-27S?
Or if anyone could confirm there's a tank 5?
(or what it means) (I'm curious)

And if you have the exact value for the fuel quantity left for each warning lights, please do share (values added above)

Any detail would be appreciated.
Thanks!
First, thanks for posting that detailed information

Second, I wonder if "tank 5" might be the cache tank for use during inverted flight? From your calculations 'Tank 5' should have a fairly small capacity, which empirically the cache tank does. Odd that it isn't shown in the Su-27 fuel system diagram though.
DarkFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #96
Stealth_HR

Quote:
About the sensors slew and control:

If I'm not mistaken, the radar (and OLS/IRST) elevation and functions are controlled by the weapons control system (СУВ) panel (left console):

The three arrow buttons on the upper left are used to move the "field of view" of the radar and OLS/IRST.
The control knob on the left is used to set the expected target relative elevation (ΔН).
The toggle switches are for the different modes and the laser range finder (ЛД).

The "Su-27 for DCS World" russian manual call the Target Designation Cursor: Строб захвата and as the joystick label on the control stick is ЦЕНТР ЗОНЫ СТРОБ., I'm thinking it's the TDC slew control.
The control knob on the right is the HUD mode selector with the following settings:
  • φ - ФИ0 (phi-0) boresight mode (keyboard 6)
  • навиг - навигационный (navigational) flight mode, sub-modes are probably controlled from the flight director/navpoint panel
  • ОЛС - оптическая локационная станция - BVR EOS mode (keyboard 2 + O)
  • РЛС - радиолокационная станция - BVR radar mode (keyboard 2 + I)
The following three are marked as БЛИЖН. БОЙ for close combat modes.
  • верт - вертикальний - vertical scan mode (keyboard 3)
  • опт - оптический - optical (bore) mode with slewable zone (keyboard 4)
  • шлем - Щел-3УМ шлем - helmet mode (keyboard 5)
Considering there's a sliding switch on the stick that changes between ДВБ (long-range) and БВБ (short-range) modes I have no idea how the switch and the panel interact.

Also, for the fuel tank position, the striped area underneath Tank 2 might be the cache tank, as it's marked as расходный насос - same as a switch in the МиГ-21бис cockpit controlling the caching tank pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewber19 View Post
Real men fly ground attack where EVERYTHING wants a piece of you

Last edited by Stealth_HR; 08-26-2015 at 08:56 PM.
Stealth_HR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:19 PM   #97
Svend_Dellepude

AFAIK the switch on the stick changes between short range and long range missiles.

Win10 64, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, i5 6600K, Geforce 980 GTX Ti, 32 GB Ram, Samsung EVO SSD.
Svend_Dellepude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:40 AM   #98
Bourrinopathe

Quick information from ED :
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.2.16.43180 changelog View Post
Su-27 fuel tank-sequencing procedure is corrected
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Dynamics
Full configuration:

1600 kg from Tank1
650 kg from Tank4
1560 kg from Tank1
100 kg from Tank2
1060 kg from Tank3
3200 kg from Tank2
350 kg from Tank5
880 kg from Tank2

Normal configuration include only tanks # 2, 3 and 5
Tank #2 is the feeder tank.
The tank 5 has been added to the sequence and the tank 2 quantities have been split accordingly.
These numbers aren't confirmed "final" as the coder is in vacation. (please do not quote)

And thanks to the team for the details!
Old 08-28-2015, 12:06 PM   #99
grunf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svend_Dellepude View Post
AFAIK the switch on the stick changes between short range and long range missiles.
I think it's radar BVR/close combat switch.
grunf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:57 PM   #100
Bourrinopathe

As far as I understand the details, Svend_Dellepude is right.

The Б.Бой-Д.Бой is used to switch between short-long range missiles (and similar weapons).

From the Su-27SK flight manual, section 5.1.5:

Quote:
На ручке управления самолетом (РУС) установлены:
− переключатель Б.БОЙ-Д.БОЙ, для выбора вида ракет ближнего боя, при наличии вместе с ними другого оружия;
Since my knowledge of the Russian language is very limited, I won't try to provide a precise translation.
Here's what our brutal friend Google has to say.

Also:

Б. Бой = Ближний маневренный бой
Close range maneuver combat
(Воздушный бой = dogfight)

Д. Бой = Дальний ракетный бой
Long range missile combat

As usual, feel free to clarify or to correct any mistake.

Last edited by Bourrinopathe; 09-05-2015 at 05:21 AM. Reason: translation sickness ;)